David

Default Sony 40XBR800i Question for David (or anyone else)

A small 13" degausser probably has a low enough field not to significantly
damage the built in magnetism Sony uses in the metal banding and aperature
grill of the tube.

Now if you had used one of the old larger 25 inch super strong jobs, good
chance of doing damage. You got the right one.

You will need to go completely around the set several times with the smaller
degausser and slowly move it away. The internal degauss would take a few
days for it to go away, but not with an external coil.

That size tube, anything within feet of the set with magnetic capable metal
on it can and will affect purity, as will the orientation of the earths
magnetic field. Since it is in the corner, I would bet that the tilt/earth
magnetic field correction might help the problem at a different setting.

If none of those things work even after moving all electronic equipment away
from the set, call in a Sony trained rep and make sure they contact Sony or
recently went to training for the PROPER Sony way to adjust the
purity/convergence/etc on that set.

wrote in message
om...
I just bought a Sony 40XBR800 set. There are those that say
degaussing it manually with a coil is OK, and then there are those
like David who say to never use an older, big coil. I had my center
speaker for my sound system (it has since been moved) on top of the TV
and noticed I was getting a very slight yellowish color in the bottom
lower left of the screen that only appears when there is white in that
corner to show it. When other colors appear, it is not noticeable. I
went out to a local electronics store and bought a brand new degausser
(13" inches in diameter) and tried to fix the problem. It did go away
when I placed the degausser near it and began rotating away in a
circular motion, but as I moved away, the yellow came back again, and
the picture is as it was before the degaussing. Nothing seems to have
been damaged as a result of using this degausser but the problem still
remains. I have nothing near the set now except my 4DTV satellite
receiver on one of the shelves of the stand that came with it, and an
HD OTA receiver on the lower shelf. I have two questions - first, did
I do any damage to the set at all using this new degausser? If I did,
nothing is noticeable. Is there a way to check? Second, I'm told
when the object that possibly caused the magnetism is moved away, it
can take a few days for the set to automatically degauss itself and
clear up the problem - is that correct? Any help will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Stuart

Thanks for the FAST reply, David. It's a relief to know the degausser
did not damage the set. This morning the problem still remains. On a
picture with just snow, the yellow splotch is very prominent in the
lower left corner, as is a very slight blue splotch in the top left,
and another yellowish splotch appears near the upper right corner,
too. When the tube is showing actual video, nothing compromises the
picture except the bottom left yellow splotch that I originally wrote
about. I went around the picture tube twice with the degausser;
obviously that was not enough. How many times do I need to go around,
and how far away from the set should I be when I start? I noticed
when I was about 1.5 feet away, it greatly affected the entire tube.
I don't want to get too close. Maybe I should just wait two more days
and see if the internal degausser fixes it? BTW, using the tilt
correction, which only has a + / - ratio of 7, did not help. Also,
that center speaker is now about 4 feet away from the set, up on top
of a wooden entertainment cabinet. That should be far enough away I
hope. Thanks again for the help!
TV Fixer1

I'm not familiar with that particular set, but with a tube that big, there
should be some sort of adjustment for the set's orientation to the Earth's
magnetic field, similar to the ones used on Mistubishi, RCA, etc. Also, check
and make sure there isn't a metal pipe in the wall behind the set.

For Sale!!! Overstock $115.00 Brand New Sony 8x4x12x Internal DVD+-R/RW Drive Dual Format DVD Burner [email protected] Metalworking 0 July 7th 04 05:30 PM
Sony DVD JILLIAN RICHMOND Electronics 0 May 2nd 04 09:27 PM
SONY CDP-CX455 cd player -- MP3 sound problem Donald Gervais Electronics 0 January 18th 04 04:44 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM