Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Blondie

Default Question: Sony KV-27S22 Average lifespan of the unit?

Hello All,

My Sony television ( a 1997 model) began exhibiting problems this morning.
The picture started flashing on and off (continuous sound though) for about
ten seconds. Didn't think nothing of it, and turned the unit off after
breakfast. Came back at lunch, turned the unit on, and no picture ( but I
did have sound). Turned the unit off, waited a few seconds, and turned the
unit back on. Their was the usual few seconds warm up delay and this time
the picture came on, but their was this huge flash when it did. The picture
stayed on but the color was out of whack, everything displayed had a
pinkish/red tone to it. I tried all the usual menu adjustments, but to no
avail.

Now I don't expect anyone to try and diagnose what the problem is, but I
would like to know about what the average lifespan of a Sony unit like this
is? As I pointed out it's a nine year old unit, and I wouldn't want to
spend any money having this unit repaired if it is near the end of it's
average service life. Any input would be appreciated.