Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Default Help Identify Part

What is this? The top of it seems to have blown off and I believe it is what
has been causing my intermiteant problems with my ipod.

http://mikescomputers.homeip.net/DSC00346.JPG
http://mikescomputers.homeip.net/DSC00345.JPG
http://mikescomputers.homeip.net/DSC00344.JPG

Any Help or Guesses would be great.

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Looks like a crystal resonator. The missing top, if it even had one,
was just a dust cover for the crystal.

You probably need to send the ipod off for board level repair by the
ipod people as that is the only option for an intermittent repair like
that as zero repair parts are available to outside servicers or end
users.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

If you can't find the lid, maybe someone that has
the same model can get you the info...Paul

DUH! I have another ipod that works.. Should have done that in the first
place..

I just checked it out and they are apparently different board rev. #'s but
maybe they have the same crystal..
This picture is upside down in reference to the original ones.

http://mikescomuters.homeip.net/DSC00347.JPG

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Correction to the URL http://mikescomputers.homeip.net/DSC00347.JPG

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

I see what they did on my working ipod board.. they have 2 crystals Y1 and
Y2.. the non working one has only Y1 but after looking carefully it has Y2
on the oppisite side.. I believe them to be the same but I didn't get the
numbers off y2.

- mike

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
Correction to the URL http://mikescomputers.homeip.net/DSC00347.JPG

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Okay looking at both ipods right now... Y2 appears to be the same on both of
them..
They both are 32.768 (mhz I assume) but the model numbers under that are
slightly different on each one
KDS0243 and one KDS0160..

I'm just an ammature at this but I'd hazzard a guess that the Y1 on my
working board is the same as Y1 on my non working board. So where would I
find a smt crystal
with the markings:
24.000
KDS 2K

Thanks, Mike

..

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I see what they did on my working ipod board.. they have 2 crystals Y1 and
Y2.. the non working one has only Y1 but after looking carefully it has Y2
on the oppisite side.. I believe them to be the same but I didn't get the
numbers off y2.

- mike

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
Correction to the URL http://mikescomputers.homeip.net/DSC00347.JPG

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 01:23:16 -0500, "Michael Kennedy"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Okay looking at both ipods right now... Y2 appears to be the same on both of
them..
They both are 32.768 (mhz I assume) but the model numbers under that are
slightly different on each one
KDS0243 and one KDS0160..

It's probably a 32.768 kHz watch crystal. These are used for real-time
clocks.

I'm just an ammature at this but I'd hazzard a guess that the Y1 on my
working board is the same as Y1 on my non working board. So where would I
find a smt crystal
with the markings:
24.000
KDS 2K

24.000 MHz. You might find one on an old hard drive.

- Franc Zabkar