Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Identify this part?

Hi,

This is a bit of a cross-post from rec.woodworking. I'm trying to
identify the BRASS-colored fastener(?) pictured he

http://75thtrombone.com/links/looseparts.jpg

It's to be used as a sort of hinge in a piece of RTA furniture; it
holds a door to the frame and is the axis it rotates on. But it looks
like its original role might be a shelf pin, or maybe something
completely different.

I've already got the silver one figured out and ordered. I'm prepared
to fashion a copy of the brass one if I have to, but I'm extremely anal
and would love to find it somewhere first.

Thanks,
-Lanny Heidbreder

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

It looks like a shelf pin I have, the shelves have cut curved recesses.

Posted to alt.home.repair
bill allemann

The hinge function is probably correct.

One end of the pin press fits into a hole in a door, and the other end
usually goes through
a metal bracket that has a close fitting hole for this pin. It's one way to
have a more or less
concealed hinge.

hth
bill

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

This is a bit of a cross-post from rec.woodworking. I'm trying to
identify the BRASS-colored fastener(?) pictured he

http://75thtrombone.com/links/looseparts.jpg

It's to be used as a sort of hinge in a piece of RTA furniture; it
holds a door to the frame and is the axis it rotates on. But it looks
like its original role might be a shelf pin, or maybe something
completely different.

I've already got the silver one figured out and ordered. I'm prepared
to fashion a copy of the brass one if I have to, but I'm extremely anal
and would love to find it somewhere first.

Thanks,
-Lanny Heidbreder

Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw

wrote:
Hi,

This is a bit of a cross-post from rec.woodworking. I'm trying to
identify the BRASS-colored fastener(?) pictured he

http://75thtrombone.com/links/looseparts.jpg

It's to be used as a sort of hinge in a piece of RTA furniture; it
holds a door to the frame and is the axis it rotates on. But it looks
like its original role might be a shelf pin, or maybe something
completely different.

I've already got the silver one figured out and ordered. I'm prepared
to fashion a copy of the brass one if I have to, but I'm extremely anal
and would love to find it somewhere first.

Thanks,
-Lanny Heidbreder

I've seen them before but haven't been able to locate anything similar
at my usual suppliers. I'd be tempted, if it were my project, to simply
use an appropriately-sized shelf pin and a suitable washer as a
replacement since there seems to be nothing special about the pin itself.

There are slightly larger versions sold under the name "Roto Hinge" or
somesuch but those are 3/8" diameter and larger and have an actual pivot
mechanism built into them -- fine for new projects but not for
retrofitting into existing pre-drilled particle board or whatever the
RTA is made of.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Close: http://www.mcmaster.com/

search press fit locating pins and dowel pins

I would also look here
http://www.grainger.com/production/i...ial-supply.htm
and here
http://www.rockler.com/