Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jimi

Default Stubborn jack socket nut

Has anyone got a trick for removing a stubborn jack socket nut. The
threaded shaft of the socket is turning with the nut, the back of it
isnt accesible. It doesnt look cross threaded. Any ideas about getting
it off without damaging it? thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"jimi" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone got a trick for removing a stubborn jack socket nut. The
threaded shaft of the socket is turning with the nut, the back of it
isnt accesible. It doesnt look cross threaded. Any ideas about getting
it off without damaging it? thanks

I presume there isn't enough thread to use with say needlenose visegrips or
extra nuts locked in place as counter torque.

So... one rather destructive, quick-and-dirty method is to use a chisel
(unless it's meant for steel, plan on ruining its edge as well) to form a
notch into the socket wall -- one direction only, NOT a "v" notch.
From this point, you can use a wide blade screwdriver or the chisel in the
notch.
You'll also need a small, thin crescent wrench. I have a 4" wrench with a
max jaw opening of 9/16" which works quite well on these jacks.
This will most likely be a 2-man job.
Push on the crescent wrench at the same time as the socket notch is
struck -- in the opposing direction of rotation, obviously. This should
break it loose.

You can use several layers of masking tape around the nut's perimeter to
help guard against damage to the escutcheon by the wrench. This doesn't
guarantee against scratches, however, so you still have to exercise caution.

If the manufacturer went so far as to put threadlock compound on the socket,
you're gonna have a much more difficult time backing it off all the way.
Hopefully, they didn't do this and it's merely stuck in that one spot.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Yukio YANO

jimi wrote:
Has anyone got a trick for removing a stubborn jack socket nut. The
threaded shaft of the socket is turning with the nut, the back of it
isnt accesible. It doesnt look cross threaded. Any ideas about getting
it off without damaging it? thanks

45 years ago I learned of the Miracle, Liquid Threadlock, and the
second Question to the Service Rep. I asked was "yeah it looks like a
great Idea but now how do you get the damn things apart to service it".
His answer was to heat the nut and bolt ! Over the years I have
encountered more and more components that are inappropriately LOCKED
with "various Locktite compounds". The answer in most cases is still
"heat it". In your case, I would insert a hot, ~ 400/500' F. Soldering
tip in the Jack for a few seconds, NB. it will also be a little harsh on
any plastic casing around the jack , but the threadlock compound will be
degraded enough to allow normal disassembly.

BTDT

Yukio YANO
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Just Another Theremin Fan

Any ideas about getting
it off without damaging it? thanks

Yes, use a 4 wide brick chisel and a 7 pound clubber hammer
to hit it with.

Done VERY carefully there will be no damage at all.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jimi

Thanks for the replies, I tried the club hammer and it worked a treat

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Kim Cole

jimi wrote:
Has anyone got a trick for removing a stubborn jack socket nut. The
threaded shaft of the socket is turning with the nut, the back of it
isnt accesible. It doesnt look cross threaded. Any ideas about getting
it off without damaging it? thanks

YEAH, QUIT JACKING OFF WITH YOUR SHAFT AND YOUR NUTS AND GO GET LAID.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jimi

Kim, take it easy man...go have a lie down youl be ok

Midway Phone Socket Kroma UK diy 43 October 31st 05 10:24 AM
Weird phone wiring with new flat - help needed with BT Broadband and master socket kiich UK diy 30 August 30th 05 11:04 PM
new tel jack with dsl Barry Home Repair 12 November 8th 04 12:53 AM
Modifying a bottle jack for press use Gunner Metalworking 24 March 1st 04 03:28 AM
Question regarding adding an extra socket to the ring main Fiona Reid UK diy 10 September 3rd 03 04:45 PM