Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Shuman

Default Cheap ESR Meter

From experience Ray O Vac cells leak terribly as well. The last set lasted
less than a year in the ESR II meter and corroded the contacts.

Bob

"Bob Parker" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 18:12:50 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
I don't remember seeing any Energizer or Eveready alkaline cell or
battery ever leak. But Duracells are a different story, unfortunately.
I stay away from them now.

Cheers
Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveM

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .

(say,if you ever get to Orlando,Florida,check out Skycraft
Surplus;it's a hobbyists wet dream.Oh,the Disney/Universal/SeaWorld
attractions are fun,too.)

Jim, can you mail me direct with the location of that place. I go over
there at least once a year, and I'm getting fed up of Disney now ...

Arfa

Skycraft's on Fairbanks Ave.about 500 feet east from I-4.(in Winter Park)
Coming from I-4,get off at Fairbanks Ave.

You can't miss it,it's got a red rocket bolted to the building.

--
Jim Yanik

Hi Jim,
Yep, I was at Skycraft yesterday!!!! Just after a 4-hour visit to the
Orlando hamfest, which I never miss. Skycraft is probably the best source
for bits & pieces of parts and hardware in the southeastern USA. Although I
live about 150 miles away, I visit a few times each year. Rarely leave
without spending a bundle too. AstroToo in Melbourne is good too, but since
I don't have any other business in Melbourne, I rarely get to visit them.
AstroToo doesn't seem to have the really useful common parts that Skycraft
has.

The hamfest is gradually getting smaller, but it's still a great event.
Lots of test equipment this year, and I had to make 3 trips to the car to
unload. Was a profitable trip for me in terms of money saved. Funny how
test equipment seems to run in cycles at the hamfest.... some years, there
may only be 5 or 6 vendors with a decent supply of test equipment, then
other years the grounds are overrun with test equipment vendors. I love it
either way...

Cheers!!!!
-------
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in
the address)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

What do you mean by ``test light`` and "calculate numbers"? Mine has an LED
display that gives a reading. No calculations needed. I do like my Altas
better, my DSE (Bob;s design) works just as well as anything and is just as
fast.

Leonard

"Ken G." wrote in message
Do you own either of these instruments, or on what basis do you make
your recommendation?

Yes i have had a Cap Wizard for years .
When i was looking into buying one i studied the internet and peoples
reviews of several testers .
The Bob Barker is of coarse a very good unit no doubt .
The Cap Wizard is quicker to use and detects even the hard to detect
caps under circuitry . Its like going from the ``test light`` to a
deluxe instrument . You dont need to read and calculate any numbers ,
just listen for a beep or/and look at the meter

I have the Bob Parker one and it is perfect for the job.
Chris

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Bob Parker" wrote in message
You can get a satellite's view of the whole area. If you have Google
Earth installed, downloading and running this tiny file should make it
all happen:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/Skycraft Parts & Surplus.kmz

Bob

On 11 Feb 2006 22:27:47 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Skycraft's on Fairbanks Ave.about 500 feet east from I-4.(in Winter Park)
Coming from I-4,get off at Fairbanks Ave.

You can't miss it,it's got a red rocket bolted to the building.

Bob

Can't get that link to work ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik

Bob Parker wrote in
:

I don't remember seeing any Energizer or Eveready alkaline cell or
battery ever leak. But Duracells are a different story, unfortunately.
I stay away from them now.

Cheers
Bob

My experience has been the same,and I avoid Duracells,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:
I don't remember seeing any Energizer or Eveready alkaline cell or
battery ever leak. But Duracells are a different story, unfortunately.
I stay away from them now.

My experience has been the same,and I avoid Duracells,too.

Duracell Pro tend to be the usual choice in my job as a sound recordist in
TV as about the best value. But of course are never left in equipment for
very long.

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Parker

G'day Arfa,
I assume you have Google Earth installed on your PC?
You might need to manually copy and paste the link address into
your browser's address window then save the file on your hard drive.
It seems that Internet Explorer will rename the saved file's
extension to ".zip", so you need to change it back to ".kmz" if that
happens.
Then if you double-click the file in Windoze Explorer, Google
Earth should grab it and produce the picture of the area Jim told you
about.
If all else fails, I've just uploaded the Google Earth image to my
website. You can view it by going to
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/skycraft.jpg

Regards
Bob

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:06:16 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/Skycraft Parts & Surplus.kmz

Bob

Can't get that link to work ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

Bob Parker wrote:
G'day Arfa,
I assume you have Google Earth installed on your PC?
You might need to manually copy and paste the link address into
your browser's address window then save the file on your hard drive.
It seems that Internet Explorer will rename the saved file's
extension to ".zip", so you need to change it back to ".kmz" if that
happens.
Then if you double-click the file in Windoze Explorer, Google
Earth should grab it and produce the picture of the area Jim told you
about.
If all else fails, I've just uploaded the Google Earth image to my
website. You can view it by going to
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/skycraft.jpg

Regards
Bob

You don't need to install 'Earth.' You can simply enter an address in
the regular Google search engine. The first entry will be a map, which
can be scrolled, zoomed; and changed to a satellite view, with or
without a map overlay.

jak

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:06:16 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/Skycraft Parts & Surplus.kmz

Bob

Can't get that link to work ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Bob Parker" wrote in message
G'day Arfa,
I assume you have Google Earth installed on your PC?
You might need to manually copy and paste the link address into
your browser's address window then save the file on your hard drive.
It seems that Internet Explorer will rename the saved file's
extension to ".zip", so you need to change it back to ".kmz" if that
happens.
Then if you double-click the file in Windoze Explorer, Google
Earth should grab it and produce the picture of the area Jim told you
about.
If all else fails, I've just uploaded the Google Earth image to my
website. You can view it by going to
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/skycraft.jpg

Regards
Bob

No, I got all that, Bob. The problem's much simpler than that, in that I
can't even gain access to the primary address " members.ozemail.com.au "
let alone anything on there belonging to you. It just comes up with the
standard ' The page cannot be displayed - the website may be having trouble
' stuff. Any and every other site I go to is fine, so not a browser prob ?
Thoughts ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Parker

Thanks for the info!! I sort-of knew about Google's maps, but not
the satellite image integration as well. Much appreciated.

Bob

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:11:44 -0600, jakdedert
wrote:

You don't need to install 'Earth.' You can simply enter an address in
the regular Google search engine. The first entry will be a map, which
can be scrolled, zoomed; and changed to a satellite view, with or
without a map overlay.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Parker

Hi again,
Down here in Australia where it's only a local site, I'm not having
any problems, but you don't have any access at all. I can only assume
that there's some problem with access from the UK and/or
internationally. Maybe try again in a day or two and see if it works
then?
As it is, Jak's shown that you don't need to access my website at
all.... just use Google direct.

Regards
Bob

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:29:02 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

No, I got all that, Bob. The problem's much simpler than that, in that I
can't even gain access to the primary address " members.ozemail.com.au "
let alone anything on there belonging to you. It just comes up with the
standard ' The page cannot be displayed - the website may be having trouble
' stuff. Any and every other site I go to is fine, so not a browser prob ?
Thoughts ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Shuman

Site is accessible and seems to be working fine this morning from Chicago,
IL USA.

Bob

news

wrote:
No, I got all that, Bob. The problem's much simpler than that, in that I
can't even gain access to the primary address " members.ozemail.com.au "
let alone anything on there belonging to you. It just comes up with the
standard ' The page cannot be displayed - the website may be having

trouble
' stuff. Any and every other site I go to is fine, so not a browser prob

?
Thoughts ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Hmmm. Ferry strynge ....

All working from the UK here now. The vagaries of the 'net ....

Arfa

"
let alone anything on there belonging to you. It just comes up with the
standard ' The page cannot be displayed - the website may be having

trouble
' stuff. Any and every other site I go to is fine, so not a browser prob

?
Thoughts ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken G.

I just get hot under the collar when people make negative assumptions
and claims about something they've never seen.

I was very positive about the product but
After that i dont think any reasonable answer will do any good .
I hate to pop your bubble but there are better instruments than the B.P.
and there are better instruments than the Cap Wiz out there too . Thats
life .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

wrote:
You don't need to install 'Earth.' You can simply enter an address in
the regular Google search engine. The first entry will be a map, which
can be scrolled, zoomed; and changed to a satellite view, with or
without a map overlay.

jak

Googles taking--with some justification, IMO--some hits for their other
areas, like China and their new Desktop application. In this case, they
gotten it exactly right. The photos are not very up to date (I'd love
it if they would date the images). However the utility of being able to
type in any (U.S.--I don't know if it works elsewhere) address, in
almost any reasonable format; and have it return not only a map of that
area--with the exact location pinpointed--but in addition to be able to
scroll, zoom in or out, overlay a picture or drop the map display
entirely is astounding.

I rarely give directions anymore--at least before I ask the person if
they have immediate internet access. If so, I just tell them to drop
the address into a Google search.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Ken G." wrote in message
I just get hot under the collar when people make negative assumptions
and claims about something they've never seen.

I was very positive about the product but
After that i dont think any reasonable answer will do any good .
I hate to pop your bubble but there are better instruments than the B.P.
and there are better instruments than the Cap Wiz out there too . Thats
life .

Of course there are, but it's a bit like comparing a pushbike to a car. They
both get you from A to B, but the car is a lot more expensive. The OP was
asking about a *cheap* ESR meter and, like the pushbike, the BP meter is
without doubt, the best solution for the money. Yes, the Wizard is also a
fine instrument, but rather more expensive. Personally, having used both the
BP and the Wizard, I actually prefer the unambiguous digital display of the
BP, and it's just as fast as any analogue display - and that from a
dedicated fan of analogue instruments ...

Arfa

Cheapest decent analog meter? [email protected] Electronics Repair 32 January 15th 06 09:59 PM
New gas meter comes, old boiler fired. Adrian C UK diy 63 August 16th 05 10:37 AM
Cheap Water Meter at BES Alan UK diy 3 July 24th 05 12:48 PM
Gas meter regulations Chris UK diy 11 April 20th 05 05:49 PM
Moving electricity meter, cutout and consumer unit nospam UK diy 2 July 26th 04 08:06 PM