Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR North

Default Soaked monitor works after drying!

Ok, I was ****ed. A roof leak dripped right into the slots on my
Prinston EO500 while it was on, in standby. When I discovered it, the
screen was compressed and severely distorted. It was clearly in dire
distress. I turned it off, unplugged it and drained the water out by
inverting. I let it dry for a week and hooked it back up. No go,
distorted internal diagnostic error screen showing wildly fluctuating H
and V freq.
Let it sit for 3 more weeks and tried again. It works perfectly!!!
Life is good....
JR
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Schuler

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
Ok, I was ****ed. A roof leak dripped right into the slots on my Prinston
EO500 while it was on, in standby. When I discovered it, the screen was
compressed and severely distorted. It was clearly in dire distress. I
turned it off, unplugged it and drained the water out by inverting. I let
it dry for a week and hooked it back up. No go, distorted internal
diagnostic error screen showing wildly fluctuating H and V freq.
Let it sit for 3 more weeks and tried again. It works perfectly!!!

Don't bet your pension on it lasting all that much longer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art

Have seen corrosion develop under the components mounted to the pcb causing
all kinds of funky problems. Without throughly cleaning and flusing the
materials off the board initially with at least diatilled water you may have
contribruted to the lingering problem. May work fine for a while then some
day it will fail giving you a reason for what had been posted.
"Charles Schuler" wrote in message

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
Ok, I was ****ed. A roof leak dripped right into the slots on my Prinston
EO500 while it was on, in standby. When I discovered it, the screen was
compressed and severely distorted. It was clearly in dire distress. I
turned it off, unplugged it and drained the water out by inverting. I let
it dry for a week and hooked it back up. No go, distorted internal
diagnostic error screen showing wildly fluctuating H and V freq.
Let it sit for 3 more weeks and tried again. It works perfectly!!!

Don't bet your pension on it lasting all that much longer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Let it sit for 3 more weeks and tried again. It works perfectly!!!

Yep, you'd be surprised by how much abuse most electronics can really take.
That said, having this sort of thing happen absolutely isn't recommended.

I'd have to disagree with the other posters...after having had a disastrous
basement flood in 2004, I salvaged whatever I thought might pull through.
After cleaning the cases and letting things dry out in the sun, quite a few
things survived. Most everything got a pretty good dose of sewage material
while under power. I got the power shut off, but the water didn't go down
for almost a week.

Many of the devices in question (personal computers, servers, cable modem,
and related miscellany) are still running today on a 24/7 basis. Of course,
I did have to replace some power supplies and just about every hard disk.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chuck Reti

In article 2lcEf.740423$x96.330604@attbi_s72,
"William R. Walsh" wrote:

Hi!

[...]

I (still) have a 17" Sony TV (KV-1710, 1974) that a few years ago sat in
on a flooded basement floor for many days, in water up to nearly 8
inches. Like William did , I cleaned it out and let it sit in the sun
for a couple of days, before deciding whether to toss it out of not.
Amazingly, it came up with picture and sound, apparently none the worse
for wear. I turn it on once in a great while, can't seem to find an
excuse to get rid of it.
--
Chuck Reti
Detroit MI

duct tape is drying out on ducting Phil Schuman Home Repair 21 December 9th 05 09:07 PM
duct tape is drying out on ducting Phil Schuman Home Ownership 19 December 9th 05 09:07 PM
Fast drying with no microwave? Mike Paulson Woodturning 0 November 17th 05 11:27 PM
Towel Drying Matt Home Ownership 5 November 11th 05 03:49 AM
new whirlpool diswasher condensation problems during drying cycle SS Home Repair 2 April 1st 04 07:42 PM