Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Phil Schuman

Default duct tape is drying out on ducting

I've noticed that over time (a year or so)
our duct tape is drying out
and falling away from the heating ducts
that are located in the ceiling of our heated - but unfinished -
basement.
It is used to wrap the tubular joints
of some of our basement ducting
along with our clothes dryer vent ducting connection to the outside.

I can understand the heat from the duct is drying out the adhesive...
Any suggestions on this ?
I mean, isn't that what duck/duct tape is for;
sealing a tubular duct joint.

ameijers

"Phil Schuman" wrote in message
I've noticed that over time (a year or so)
our duct tape is drying out
and falling away from the heating ducts
that are located in the ceiling of our heated - but unfinished -
basement.
It is used to wrap the tubular joints
of some of our basement ducting
along with our clothes dryer vent ducting connection to the outside.

I can understand the heat from the duct is drying out the adhesive...
Any suggestions on this ?
I mean, isn't that what duck/duct tape is for;
sealing a tubular duct joint.

The cloth stuff, the silver stuff at least, does not hold up. You need a
roll of the foil stuff.

aem sends....

Dan_Musicant

:
:I can understand the heat from the duct is drying out the adhesive...
:Any suggestions on this ?
:I mean, isn't that what duck/duct tape is for;
:sealing a tubular duct joint.

I don't know why, but the duct tape I put on the exhaust duct from my
water heater has held up fine and it's been over 10 years since I
applied it. It's just above the water heater, and it turned black with
age, but has shown no signs of wanting to come off. I don't remember
using an unusual sort of duct tape.
briz

I've noticed that over time (a year or so)
ur duct tape is drying out
:and falling away from the heating ducts
:that are located in the ceiling of our heated - but unfinished -
:basement.
I've noticed that over time (a year or so)
ur duct tape is drying out
:and falling away from the heating ducts
:that are located in the ceiling of our heated - but unfinished -
:basement.

I would use a good quality cloth duct tape to re tape the joints or
the more expencive Foil tape made by a company called Fasson.(silver
with red letters) which ever way you go make sure to clean and and all
dust and dirt off the pipe before you reseal it. Steve

Joseph Meehan

Phil Schuman wrote:
I've noticed that over time (a year or so)
our duct tape is drying out
and falling away from the heating ducts
that are located in the ceiling of our heated - but unfinished -
basement.
It is used to wrap the tubular joints
of some of our basement ducting
along with our clothes dryer vent ducting connection to the outside.

I can understand the heat from the duct is drying out the adhesive...
Any suggestions on this ?
I mean, isn't that what duck/duct tape is for;
sealing a tubular duct joint.

Standard duct tape should never be used for ducts or any permanent use.
Ducts should use the foil tape made for that use and sold in the heating
duct area not the tape area.

For any use over about 6 months the cloth duct tape should not be used.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Al Bundy

Building code has been metal tape around here for years.

HeatMan

wrote:

[...]

Why did you tape the vent on your water heater? Did you think the tape
would prevent the carbon monoxide inside the pipe?

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 00:58:54 GMT, someone wrote:

I mean, isn't that what duck/duct tape is for;

Not really, and you have (perhaps unwittingly) stumbled upon the key.
You can search this on the net very easily (and sure, everything on
the internet is true!).

Depending on who you believe: It was originally DUCK tape for the
material "cotton duck" that military tents were made of. (Whether the
cloth tape was actually used to patch the tents, or was originally
just made from similar material, I don't recall.) Soldiers then found
it was handy for a variety of purposes. Somehow this morphed into
DUCT tape. But a lot of it that is sold, is not so great for actual
ducts!

Bob

"Phil Schuman" wrote in
message
I've noticed that over time (a year or so)
our duct tape is drying out
and falling away from the heating ducts
that are located in the ceiling of our heated - but

unfinished -
basement.

What is normally called "duct" tape is illegal for use on
ducts many places. It just doesn't last.

Bob

Dan_Musicant

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 13:17:13 -0500, "HeatMan"
wrote:

:
.. .
: wrote:
:
: :I've noticed that over time (a year or so)
: ur duct tape is drying out
: :and falling away from the heating ducts
: :that are located in the ceiling of our heated - but unfinished -
: :basement.
: :It is used to wrap the tubular joints
: f some of our basement ducting
: :along with our clothes dryer vent ducting connection to the outside.
: :
: :I can understand the heat from the duct is drying out the adhesive...
: :Any suggestions on this ?
: :I mean, isn't that what duck/duct tape is for;
: :sealing a tubular duct joint.
:
:
: I don't know why, but the duct tape I put on the exhaust duct from my
: water heater has held up fine and it's been over 10 years since I
: applied it. It's just above the water heater, and it turned black with
: age, but has shown no signs of wanting to come off. I don't remember
: using an unusual sort of duct tape.
:
:Why did you tape the vent on your water heater? Did you think the tape
:would prevent the carbon monoxide inside the pipe?

Well, believe it or not I took an empty can such as you find in the
supermarket filled with green beans and cut off the other end (both ends
removed) and used that to go over the vent on top of the water heater,
and attached it to the duct that leads to the wall. I don't remember why
I had to do that. Maybe a section of the duct had broken or worn
through. Anyway, the duct tape I used to join all this together has
never given up the ghost. It's tight and hard at this point and it's
charcoal black.
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

:
: wrote:
:
[...]

My asbestos wrapped pipes seem OK! No additional drying.IThe best duct
tape I've used is either by Tesa or Nashua, green $12 a roll at
Sportsmans Guide. It actually stretches somewhat, but is the best I've
ever used. Most of the other sold at stores is
not comparable at all.

greg

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Dugie

wrote in message
oups.com...

:
: wrote:
:
[...]

Some instructions for products like a bathroom fan or a clothes dryer state:

Don't use duct tape to secure ducts, it may dry and no longer hold.
Use metal clamps made for securing ducts.

Seems like the safest idea to me.

Dugie

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
CBHVAC

"Dugie" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...

:
: wrote:
:
[...]

Actually, pros dont use "duct tape" any more...for anything other than maybe
a quick securing of a ladder to a rack....

If its wrapped metal duct, depending on the wrap, a metal tape with an
acrylic adhesive is used.
If its flex, tapes not used at all..no tape...bands made just for that are
used.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Only reason duct tape doesnt hold anymore is because american companies
are tightassed profit driven outfits who over the years have just made
their products cheaper by cutting back on quality. I know whole
subdivisions with duct joints sealed with gray cloth duct tape that are
still stuck after 25 years.

Yes...nowadays its best to use mastic tape....dont use the thin
foil....it lasts about as long as the cloth tape used today....

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
CBHVAC

wrote in message
oups.com...
Only reason duct tape doesnt hold anymore is because american companies
are tightassed profit driven outfits who over the years have just made
their products cheaper by cutting back on quality. I know whole
subdivisions with duct joints sealed with gray cloth duct tape that are
still stuck after 25 years.

Yes...nowadays its best to use mastic tape....dont use the thin
foil....it lasts about as long as the cloth tape used today....

Two kinds of foil...one is cheap ****...really, and I agree with you
100%..it uses a rubber adhesive that sucks ass after about a year.
the other, is UL181-A and B rated..its about $40 a roll...now THAT works,
but the code guys here finally got smart, and even with it, you need to use
a mastic over it...
The mastic tapes nice too...but its a pain in the ass if you EVER have to go
back in...with the foil tape first, then mastic over the top of it, you can
just peel it all off at a later date if you need to, and if any screws are
covered, they come out clean and neat this way.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
wrote:

Only reason duct tape doesnt hold anymore is because american companies
are tightassed profit driven outfits who over the years have just made
their products cheaper by cutting back on quality.

Try
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32180&cat=1,110,43466

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

So you the one that is not duct taping the flex joints after you put
the plastic bands on them. if you bump the metal starting collar at
joints just a little it will fall off but if tapped after the plastic
strap is used. It will never come off. i sure wish these Rookies would
learn !

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
CBHVAC

"TURTLE" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is Turtle.

So you the one that is not duct taping the flex joints after you put
the plastic bands on them. if you bump the metal starting collar at
joints just a little it will fall off but if tapped after the plastic
strap is used. It will never come off. i sure wish these Rookies would
learn !

TURTLE

Umm..and if you butter the take off before, and mastic the outer lip when
done..its forever too and looks much neater....
Like I said...the pros aint using tape anymore on ducts...Turtle still is.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

I had a roll of duct tape that dried on the roll. It was near
impossible to get it off the roll, then it would delaminate.
I finally trashed it.

:
: