Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
CBHVAC

Default duct tape is drying out on ducting

"Dugie" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...

Dan_Musicant wrote:
On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 13:17:13 -0500, "HeatMan"
wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 00:58:54 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
: wrote:
:
: :I've noticed that over time (a year or so)
: ur duct tape is drying out
: :and falling away from the heating ducts
: :that are located in the ceiling of our heated - but unfinished -
: :basement.
: :It is used to wrap the tubular joints
: f some of our basement ducting
: :along with our clothes dryer vent ducting connection to the
outside.
: :
: :I can understand the heat from the duct is drying out the

adhesive...
: :Any suggestions on this ?
: :I mean, isn't that what duck/duct tape is for;
: :sealing a tubular duct joint.
:
:
: I don't know why, but the duct tape I put on the exhaust duct from
my
: water heater has held up fine and it's been over 10 years since I
: applied it. It's just above the water heater, and it turned black

with
: age, but has shown no signs of wanting to come off. I don't remember
: using an unusual sort of duct tape.
:
:Why did you tape the vent on your water heater? Did you think the
tape
:would prevent the carbon monoxide inside the pipe?

Well, believe it or not I took an empty can such as you find in the
supermarket filled with green beans and cut off the other end (both
ends
removed) and used that to go over the vent on top of the water heater,
and attached it to the duct that leads to the wall. I don't remember
why
I had to do that. Maybe a section of the duct had broken or worn
through. Anyway, the duct tape I used to join all this together has
never given up the ghost. It's tight and hard at this point and it's
charcoal black.
:

My asbestos wrapped pipes seem OK! No additional drying.IThe best duct
tape I've used is either by Tesa or Nashua, green $12 a roll at
Sportsmans Guide. It actually stretches somewhat, but is the best I've
ever used. Most of the other sold at stores is
not comparable at all.

greg

Some instructions for products like a bathroom fan or a clothes dryer
state:

Don't use duct tape to secure ducts, it may dry and no longer hold.
Use metal clamps made for securing ducts.

Seems like the safest idea to me.

Dugie

Actually, pros dont use "duct tape" any more...for anything other than maybe
a quick securing of a ladder to a rack....

If its wrapped metal duct, depending on the wrap, a metal tape with an
acrylic adhesive is used.
If its flex, tapes not used at all..no tape...bands made just for that are
used.