Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JBH

Default Help , 2 monitors go dead after using a wrong AC-DC converter

Hi guy,

I have 2 LCD monitors spec need 12V DC 1A.

My staff connect one to a Notebook AC/DC converter which said supplying
12-24 V DC max power 35W without knowing that. The monitors worked for
few days and went dead. When switched on, just some low white light ,
no other response.

Without knowing that, he swapped the other LCD monitor and use it for
few days, it broke down same.

After that, he realized he used the wrong converter.

Just want to ask is it likely to be costly to repair these 2 monitors
or should I buy new ones.

Regards

JBH-HK

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jixter

I'd recommend a few options to you...

1. Try to find an electronics repair shop nearby that offers free or cheap
quotes to fix the LCDs..
If you are pleased with their price you could get them repaired there.

2. Find an online LCD repair shop. These are specialty houses that have
many supplies of spare parts for LCDs and are experts at fixing them.
Sometimes they will also inspect your LCD and if they don't end up
fixing your LCD they can provide you a small discount on another model since
they would like to use yours for parts supply. This is like taking your car
to a specialty shop.. they are the experts on LCDs..

3. If you can figure out what the problem is with the monitors you could fix
yourself if you are comfortable. Or maybe a friend/hobbyist that is willing
to work for you.

Many LCDs die for common reasons like the Invertor dies, or the bulb goes..
It can be a cheap part to replace but sometimes the labour is what is
expensive.
If you have a problem like the video display board is dead that could be a
more costly repair.

!!!! Warning !!!! The Invertor boards in LCDs could contain high voltages
and should only be handled after discharging safely.

If your LCDs are old you can also consider replacing them outright for
new... LCDs are now beginning to be affordable. You can sell your used semi
working LCDs on ebay for parts as is.

I don't think I can really help troubleshoot your problem but if you look
closely at the screen while you KNOW FOR SURE an image should be displayed
do you see a faint image? If you dim the lights you might see a faint image
displayed.. If you can see MS windows you know your LCD is still working...
Might just be the bulb or invertor.. Usually simple to replace.

Be sure to match the power adaptor to your LCD from now on you don't want it
to be worse.

Hope this helps you.

"JBH" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi guy,

I have 2 LCD monitors spec need 12V DC 1A.

My staff connect one to a Notebook AC/DC converter which said supplying
12-24 V DC max power 35W without knowing that. The monitors worked for
few days and went dead. When switched on, just some low white light ,
no other response.

Without knowing that, he swapped the other LCD monitor and use it for
few days, it broke down same.

After that, he realized he used the wrong converter.

Just want to ask is it likely to be costly to repair these 2 monitors
or should I buy new ones.

Regards

JBH-HK

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JBH

Hi Jixter, thank you for your reply. Actually I am venturing into
repairing it though I have no experience. This would be my MID-LIFE
EXPERIENCE PROGRAMME another positive approach to Mid-life crisis.

Actually I have posted another thread and see if you like to have some
input. And your last reply answered my question in the new thread,
thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
The Shar Par

On 24 Jan 2006 20:58:39 -0800, "JBH"
wrote:

Hi guy,

I have 2 LCD monitors spec need 12V DC 1A.

My staff connect one to a Notebook AC/DC converter which said supplying
12-24 V DC max power 35W without knowing that. The monitors worked for
few days and went dead. When switched on, just some low white light ,
no other response.

Without knowing that, he swapped the other LCD monitor and use it for
few days, it broke down same.

After that, he realized he used the wrong converter.

Just want to ask is it likely to be costly to repair these 2 monitors
or should I buy new ones.

Regards

JBH-HK

Time to buy some new monitors - send the bill to your staff member!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

wrote:

Hi guy,

I have 2 LCD monitors spec need 12V DC 1A.

My staff connect one to a Notebook AC/DC converter which said supplying
12-24 V DC max power 35W without knowing that. The monitors worked for
few days and went dead. When switched on, just some low white light ,
no other response.

Without knowing that, he swapped the other LCD monitor and use it for
few days, it broke down same.

After that, he realized he used the wrong converter.

Just want to ask is it likely to be costly to repair these 2 monitors
or should I buy new ones.

Regards

JBH-HK

Time to buy some new monitors - send the bill to your staff member!

All is not lost yet, it's possible that electrolytic capacitors in the
monitor's internal power circuit failed, or that other parts overheated
anf failed. The monitor likely has a DC-DC converter in it to take the
12V and produce the various voltages the monitor needs. The backlight
inverters may run right off the 12V though.