Default Hitachi with green dot

My brother-in-law bought a new Hitachi LCD TV model #60V500A. In the
upper 1/3 of the screen, there is a single pixel that is bright green.
It's on all channels. It's very noticable when a dark background is
broadcast. Any of you folks have any experience with these new LCD
monitors?

James Sweet

wrote in message
ps.com...
My brother-in-law bought a new Hitachi LCD TV model #60V500A. In the
upper 1/3 of the screen, there is a single pixel that is bright green.
It's on all channels. It's very noticable when a dark background is
broadcast. Any of you folks have any experience with these new LCD
monitors?

That's a dead pixel, it's common with LCD panels and there's no fix for it.
Your options are to try to exchange the set, ignore the pixel, or stick a
tiny dot of black tape or something similar over it so you have a black
pixel instead of a bright green one.

Art

If the set is under warranty have it checked by an authorized servicer, they
may be able to have Hitachi authorize a complete light engine replacement
for the set. Done a few of these on the 50V and 60V series already.
"James Sweet" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...
My brother-in-law bought a new Hitachi LCD TV model #60V500A. In the
upper 1/3 of the screen, there is a single pixel that is bright green.
It's on all channels. It's very noticable when a dark background is
broadcast. Any of you folks have any experience with these new LCD
monitors?

That's a dead pixel, it's common with LCD panels and there's no fix for
it.
Your options are to try to exchange the set, ignore the pixel, or stick a
tiny dot of black tape or something similar over it so you have a black
pixel instead of a bright green one.

john

My brother-in-law bought a new Hitachi LCD TV model #60V500A

If the above is correct and its NEW..
Take it back for replacement why would you need to ask the question.
Its NEW right ,so why accept it like that.

kip

Jerry G.

This is called a "dead pixel". It is possible to have a dead pixel being
either lit, or dark, or somewhere in between. In this case it is non active.
I have seen this often with all of these monitors.

All of these manufactures have a dead pixel policy. When purchasing a new
LCD or Plasma monitor, it is important to enquire about this policy. There
are some very expensive monitors where the manufacture will have a zero dead
pixel policy.

I myself have 4 LCD displays where I work. I found on 2 of them to each have
1 dead pixel, but they are black in colour. This means that they are a dark
dead pixel. On both of them, the dead pixels are in the corner.

On my laptop display, I have 2 dead pixels that are in the red. These are
partially dead. I can just see them a little bit on a white background. They
are located near the centre of the screen, but they are located about 3
inches apart. Usually I never notice these unless I look for them, or I am
working on something that is near to them on the screen.

An Example:
Most manufactures will indicate to have not more than 3 dead pixels in any
one quadrant on the screen, with a spacing of not less than 1 inch apart.
In the centre of the screen to not have more than 2 dead pixels, not less
than 2 inches apart. The total amount of dead pixels on a screen cannot
exceed 5. This is only one example. The different manufactures have their
own policy for this.

Never trust the dealer, when he tells you that the monitor has to be perfect
with no dead pixels, unless you know this for a fact. If the dealer tells
you a policy that seems unrealistic for the price you are paying, get this
in writing from him. He will then be responsible for what he writes down on
your invoice. Also, it is important that he has his manager sign the
agreement.

--

Jerry G.
======

ps.com...

john wrote:
My brother-in-law bought a new Hitachi LCD TV model

#60V500A

If the above is correct and its NEW..
Take it back for replacement why would you need to ask the question.
Its NEW right ,so why accept it like that.

kip

Yes the set is new (almost), but still under warranty. He is having
problems with the "authorized repair folks". Their first attempt to fix
was replacing a ribbon cable, which led to a severe picture defect.
Won't go into details here. Anyhow, they have yet to resolve the
secondary defect, never mind the original. Sounds like inexperienced
techs, or incompetent. Since I am not familiar with these displays, I
just wanted some good sound info to give him, so he would be better
prepared for what may lie ahead.

Sam Goldwasser

writes:

john wrote:
My brother-in-law bought a new Hitachi LCD TV model

#60V500A

If the above is correct and its NEW..
Take it back for replacement why would you need to ask the question.
Its NEW right ,so why accept it like that.

kip

Yes the set is new (almost), but still under warranty. He is having
problems with the "authorized repair folks". Their first attempt to fix
was replacing a ribbon cable, which led to a severe picture defect.
Won't go into details here. Anyhow, they have yet to resolve the
secondary defect, never mind the original. Sounds like inexperienced
techs, or incompetent. Since I am not familiar with these displays, I
just wanted some good sound info to give him, so he would be better
prepared for what may lie ahead.

A single pixel defect is not likely a ribbon cable or logic problem, but
as others have said, a bad LCD panel. Replacement is the only option.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

AshTray700

if the ribbon cable is not correctly replaced the picture can be seriously
distorted, if they have screwed up the cable and the picture is bad, you
have a reason that the retailer or manufacturer cannot deny warranty for,
make them replace it, put your foot down and threaten to contact consumer
reports , they will just comply and give you a new set. dead pixels are
common there isnt much you can do about it, thats why i wont let go of my
crt's not to mention that the picture looks more alive