Jerry G.

This is called a "dead pixel". It is possible to have a dead pixel being
either lit, or dark, or somewhere in between. In this case it is non active.
I have seen this often with all of these monitors.

All of these manufactures have a dead pixel policy. When purchasing a new
LCD or Plasma monitor, it is important to enquire about this policy. There
are some very expensive monitors where the manufacture will have a zero dead
pixel policy.

I myself have 4 LCD displays where I work. I found on 2 of them to each have
1 dead pixel, but they are black in colour. This means that they are a dark
dead pixel. On both of them, the dead pixels are in the corner.

On my laptop display, I have 2 dead pixels that are in the red. These are
partially dead. I can just see them a little bit on a white background. They
are located near the centre of the screen, but they are located about 3
inches apart. Usually I never notice these unless I look for them, or I am
working on something that is near to them on the screen.

An Example:
Most manufactures will indicate to have not more than 3 dead pixels in any
one quadrant on the screen, with a spacing of not less than 1 inch apart.
In the centre of the screen to not have more than 2 dead pixels, not less
than 2 inches apart. The total amount of dead pixels on a screen cannot
exceed 5. This is only one example. The different manufactures have their
own policy for this.

Never trust the dealer, when he tells you that the monitor has to be perfect
with no dead pixels, unless you know this for a fact. If the dealer tells
you a policy that seems unrealistic for the price you are paying, get this
in writing from him. He will then be responsible for what he writes down on
your invoice. Also, it is important that he has his manager sign the
agreement.

--

Jerry G.
======

wrote in message
ps.com...
My brother-in-law bought a new Hitachi LCD TV model #60V500A. In the
upper 1/3 of the screen, there is a single pixel that is bright green.
It's on all channels. It's very noticable when a dark background is
broadcast. Any of you folks have any experience with these new LCD
monitors?