Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DVD home theater identification/calibration

Greetings,
I've got a Sony DAV-SR2 home theater receiver unit
(which has a slot-load dvd built in) that I'm having trouble with.
It's *extremely* sensitive to disc damage.....to the point where even a
slight smudge will cause it to skip/jump/pause etc. Just in the last
couple of days, it's started to exhibit this behaviour on perfectly
clean discs too. These discs (and even far more damaged ones) play
perfectly in both my other DVD players, so I'm wondering if there's a
way to re-calibrate this unit without having to take it in to be
serviced (for which there is currently a 2 week turnaround time where I
am). I've found several references to instructions for re-aligning the
laser in Sony DVD players, but they all refer to model numbers like
330, 550 etc. How do I know what model the DVD player in this unit is?
Are there instructions specifically for this unit somewhere on the
web? I've searched google and usenet to no avail

Thanks in advance,
MrBonk

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G.

Try the simplist first. clean the laser lens with a Q-Tip moistened
with alcohol. be very careful. The mechanic of the lase is delicate. If
this is not the solution, it os possible that the laser is weak, or
something else is going defective.

Jerry G.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The unit is only 2 months old. I would expect it's incredibly unlikely
for the laser to be failing already? I'd just like to try to
recalibrate the unit myself before I have to take it in to the service
agent for a warranty job. If this unit is one that is able to
recalibrate itself, then all well and good and I don't have to be
without it for 2 weeks. I just need the instructions for how to enter
the service menus. If that doesn't work, then I'll have to take it in
for repair.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G.

You should bring the unit in for warranty service. To test the laser
emission and to calibrate the unit, specialized tools, and the service
manual is required.

Jerry G.