Posted to sci.electronics.repair
noname

Default (mildly O/T) hooking up a game to TV/VCR

Just got a game for my daughter. The game (Hasbro's Dream Life) has
yellow and white plugs that go to the A/V ports on a television or VCR,
and then the game plays through the TV.

When I connect the game directly to the TV (I have to disconnect the A/V
from the VCR to the TV to do this), the game plays fine.

But when I plug the VCR's A/V cables into the TV and plug the game into
A/V ports on the VCR, it won't play.

The manuals for the TV and VCR are of little use in describing this.
The game's manual is even worse. The TV is a JVC purchased in 1999 and
the VCR is a JVC purchased in 1996.

How do I make the game play when connected into the VCR?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

We would assume you are selecting the front or rear a/v inputs on the
vcr for the vcr to select those inputs and not the vcr tuner???

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
noname

In article .com,
" wrote:

We would assume you are selecting the front or rear a/v inputs on the
vcr for the vcr to select those inputs and not the vcr tuner???

There are two rear sets of inputs and one front set of inputs. I've
tried all three, and I've used the appropriate menus to select which
input was being used.

And I'm selecting channel 3 for playback, and the video option of
tv/video. My hunch is that I'm just overlooking a simple setting when
going through the VCR. I just don't know what it is.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If the vcr is connected to the A/V inputs on the tv set, why are you
chosing channel 3 for playback?

If you are using the vcr as a modulator for the game, are you selecting
the tv/vcr to switch the rf output of the vcr to its source rather than
the cable or antenna input?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
noname

In article . com,
" wrote:

If the vcr is connected to the A/V inputs on the tv set, why are you
chosing channel 3 for playback?

If you are using the vcr as a modulator for the game, are you selecting
the tv/vcr to switch the rf output of the vcr to its source rather than
the cable or antenna input?

Sorry, I am completely confused now.

The game is connected to the rear A/V connectors of the VCR.

The VCR is set to channel "AU"

The TV is set to channel 3.

There is a mode selection and the mode is "game"

The TV/video is set to video.

And the game doesn't play.

But it DOES play if I just connect the game directly to the TV set.
Could you either "dumb down" what you say above, because I don't
understand it, or parse what I've said here and point out something I'm
doing wrong?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Where is the vcr connected to the tv set?
If it is the A/V inputs on the tv set, then the tv should not be on
channel 3 but on whatever AUX A/V input the vcr is connected.

Which AU input on the VCR is actually the rear a/v inputs?
Make sure you do not have the game connected to the A/V outputs on the
rear of the vcr by mistake.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
noname

In article
,
noname wrote:

Just got a game for my daughter. The game (Hasbro's Dream Life) has
yellow and white plugs that go to the A/V ports on a television or VCR,
and then the game plays through the TV.

When I connect the game directly to the TV (I have to disconnect the A/V
from the VCR to the TV to do this), the game plays fine.

But when I plug the VCR's A/V cables into the TV and plug the game into
A/V ports on the VCR, it won't play.

The manuals for the TV and VCR are of little use in describing this.
The game's manual is even worse. The TV is a JVC purchased in 1999 and
the VCR is a JVC purchased in 1996.

How do I make the game play when connected into the VCR?

Okay, with a couple calls to Hasbro, I figured it out.

For some reason, the game only will play on the television AFTER I:

1. Start playing a videotape.

2. Stop the tape.

3. Hit the TV/Video button on the remote once or twice.

So it works. Yippee!

But the Hasbro folks said that it would be my job to figure out why I
have to do all this to make it work, whether by reading the JVC manual
(it's a 1996 VCR and there's nothing in there about connecting a game
via the VCR) or by calling JVC directly.

Any ideas here? At least now I can make the game work, but I'd love to
know if there's a way to not have to do the tape play off sequence
first.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

noname wrote:
In article
,
noname wrote:

[...]

Well that should be obvious, the game is clearly putting out a signal,
the problem is with the VCR or the way it's configured.

Any ideas here? At least now I can make the game work, but I'd love to
know if there's a way to not have to do the tape play off sequence
first.

Perhaps the VCR is broken?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Sounds to me that you hooking your vcr up to the tv through the antenna
coax. (the cable you have to screw on) If you are that is your problem. You
need to use the audio / video output on the back of the vcr and hook it to
the input on the tv. Then after you confirm that the vcr works like this you
need to hook the game up to the vcr and set it to to L1 or L2 or line in 1
or 2 something to that effect.

- Mike

"James Sweet" wrote in message