Posted to sci.electronics.repair
noname

Default (mildly O/T) hooking up a game to TV/VCR

In article
,
noname wrote:

Just got a game for my daughter. The game (Hasbro's Dream Life) has
yellow and white plugs that go to the A/V ports on a television or VCR,
and then the game plays through the TV.

When I connect the game directly to the TV (I have to disconnect the A/V
from the VCR to the TV to do this), the game plays fine.

But when I plug the VCR's A/V cables into the TV and plug the game into
A/V ports on the VCR, it won't play.

The manuals for the TV and VCR are of little use in describing this.
The game's manual is even worse. The TV is a JVC purchased in 1999 and
the VCR is a JVC purchased in 1996.

How do I make the game play when connected into the VCR?

Okay, with a couple calls to Hasbro, I figured it out.

For some reason, the game only will play on the television AFTER I:

1. Start playing a videotape.

2. Stop the tape.

3. Hit the TV/Video button on the remote once or twice.

So it works. Yippee!

But the Hasbro folks said that it would be my job to figure out why I
have to do all this to make it work, whether by reading the JVC manual
(it's a 1996 VCR and there's nothing in there about connecting a game
via the VCR) or by calling JVC directly.

Any ideas here? At least now I can make the game work, but I'd love to
know if there's a way to not have to do the tape play off sequence
first.