Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Happy Go Lucky

Default Fixyouowntv -experience SONY KV-32TS46 DEAD

I have a Sony Trinitron 32 inch tv. Model KV-32TS46

It's worked like a charm since new and last week it turned itself off
twice on me while I was watching a DVD. Then during the football game
on Sunday it turned off and is dead.

I did a little research and found a site, fixyourowntv and took a
gamble and purchased the kit for the tv. Instructions came today, no
kit yet, but the instructions show replacing two transistors and a
resistor.

Anyone has experience with this?

Gene
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
kip

When you change those 2 transistors and resistor
you best find out first what blew them.
If you don't they will last approximately 2us.

kip

"Happy Go Lucky" wrote in message
I have a Sony Trinitron 32 inch tv. Model KV-32TS46

It's worked like a charm since new and last week it turned itself off
twice on me while I was watching a DVD. Then during the football game
on Sunday it turned off and is dead.

I did a little research and found a site, fixyourowntv and took a
gamble and purchased the kit for the tv. Instructions came today, no
kit yet, but the instructions show replacing two transistors and a
resistor.

Anyone has experience with this?

Gene

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

kip wrote:
When you change those 2 transistors and resistor
you best find out first what blew them.
If you don't they will last approximately 2us.

It's possible that they are not dead, or that whatever is in the kit are
upgraded parts which will not blow...as the OEM parts were under rated....

jak

kip

"Happy Go Lucky" wrote in message

I have a Sony Trinitron 32 inch tv. Model KV-32TS46

It's worked like a charm since new and last week it turned itself off
twice on me while I was watching a DVD. Then during the football game
on Sunday it turned off and is dead.

I did a little research and found a site, fixyourowntv and took a
gamble and purchased the kit for the tv. Instructions came today, no
kit yet, but the instructions show replacing two transistors and a
resistor.

Anyone has experience with this?

Gene

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jason D.

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:50:32 -0500, "kip" wrote:

When you change those 2 transistors and resistor
you best find out first what blew them.
If you don't they will last approximately 2us.

kip

Basically, either if TV was on when this happened, PLUG-instant POP!
or press that power button-POP! No chance.

You need to check the horiztonal transistor is shorted with ohm
measurement. Very common since the horizontal transformer this drives
the base pin of the horizontal transistor has solder failures. Remove
transformer (5 pin small grey one for that transistor's base), clean
pins (scrape with razor blade), reinstall and solder both new
transistor & transformer. Then fix the power supply.

Cheers, Wizard

"Happy Go Lucky" wrote in message
.. .
I have a Sony Trinitron 32 inch tv. Model KV-32TS46

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Do Little2

wrote:

When you change those 2 transistors and resistor
you best find out first what blew them.
If you don't they will last approximately 2us.

kip

Basically, either if TV was on when this happened, PLUG-instant
POP! or press that power button-POP! No chance.

It doesn't have to go POP! Just use a 100 watt lightbulb
in series with the 120 VAC and if the lightbulb lights up
bright (with no audible clicking for startup) than there is
still a problem in the TV somewhere....

Good Luck.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Happy Go Lucky

As far as I can remember there was no pop or any noise. The first time
it did it I didn't even realize it had shut down. Other times it just
turned it's self off without any noise. Then it ran for a day or more
as normal before finally shutting down during the Viking game last
sunday. Could it be those sex crazed Vikings causing this...?

I got the kit today, three transisters and a resistor, some heat sink
compound, solder and solder wick. One transister, quite large, the
other two not so but like a pair. I will follow the kit instructions
to the letter. The instructions are in PDF but are a .gif file so I
cannot post them here but they do say to resolder the transformer
connections and show pictures of everything. I don't have the tv apart
yet but will in the next couple days attempt this repair. I don't have
but a digital voltmeter so I'm lacking equipment to do much testing
nor do I know much about TV. I have a lot of soldering experience
etc., from building lots of radion control electronic gear of the
years so I'm not worried about that. The kit cost me $42, a gamble I
guess but my options are to only spend more to get this fixed.

A service call on this unit would cost me $160 and if he had to return
another $30 and then that's plus parts. If I can't fix it with this
kit I will have to decide what to do next. It has been a fantastic tv
for us since 1993, I cannot complain. It was an expensive TV back when
I purchased it and the picture is just fantastic..

Thanks for all your input and I'll post my results.

Gene

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:32:51 -0500, "Do Little2"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

When you change those 2 transistors and resistor
you best find out first what blew them.
If you don't they will last approximately 2us.

kip

Basically, either if TV was on when this happened, PLUG-instant
POP! or press that power button-POP! No chance.

It doesn't have to go POP! Just use a 100 watt lightbulb
in series with the 120 VAC and if the lightbulb lights up
bright (with no audible clicking for startup) than there is
still a problem in the TV somewhere....

Good Luck.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jason D.

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:46:08 -0600, Happy Go Lucky
wrote:

I got the kit today, three transisters and a resistor, some heat sink
compound, solder and solder wick. One transister, quite large, the
other two not so but like a pair. I will follow the kit instructions

Those are the what commonly replaced in many Sony sets, two thing you
need to do:

Check that large transistor (this is horizontal transistor this drives
the horizontal circuit) is same part number. Secondly, on the large
transistor's solder side, trace the marking horizontal transistor lead
"B" (base gate) back to the 5 pin grey block, this is small
transformer that drives the base gate, this need to be cleaned up and
resoldered because this is what killed the horizontal transistor when
the solder joints on horizontal transformer driver failed. Shorted
load caused the power supply to fail. Hence this kit.

You will need a manual solder vacuum from radio shack or "The Source"
so you can get solder out of the metal gromment for twin small
transistors and large transistor. Wick ribbon is nice for desoldering
simple through hole traces but not great on metal gromments.

"POP!" was our expresson for failing even didn't made any noise or
smoke.

Cheers, Wizard
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Happy Go Lucky

Thanks very much, I will follow your instructions also. So much to
do....

Gee, I hope this works.

Gene

wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Happy Go Lucky

I installed the kit today and I am very very happy to report that the
TV is working again. I notice a slight tilt to the picture, like when
letter boxed or a football game score bar on the screen but I'm not
sure if it was like that before. Wife says - leave it alone, it's not
an issue...

I would like to thank everyone here on this forum for your input and
suggestions. I tried to follow all the good advice and as you can
tell, it was good advice as it's fixed.

I am jumping for joy - the repair shop called and told me my
snowblower was fixed also and that it was only $40.

What can I say - I'm HAPPY !!!!

Thanks,

Gene

wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Happy Go Lucky

Gee, I hope you're not serious. I presume you're saying that the set
will crap out again. It ran from 1993 to present without problems and
then went out. This fix is supposed to fix it along with the repair of
cold solder connections. The tilt to the picture is VERY slight and
may even have been there before it went out. I don't think the picture
tilt is a big worry, I could have a service call maybe and have it
adjusted.

Maybe....