Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jason D.

Default Fixyouowntv -experience SONY KV-32TS46 DEAD

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:46:08 -0600, Happy Go Lucky
wrote:

I got the kit today, three transisters and a resistor, some heat sink
compound, solder and solder wick. One transister, quite large, the
other two not so but like a pair. I will follow the kit instructions

Those are the what commonly replaced in many Sony sets, two thing you
need to do:

Check that large transistor (this is horizontal transistor this drives
the horizontal circuit) is same part number. Secondly, on the large
transistor's solder side, trace the marking horizontal transistor lead
"B" (base gate) back to the 5 pin grey block, this is small
transformer that drives the base gate, this need to be cleaned up and
resoldered because this is what killed the horizontal transistor when
the solder joints on horizontal transformer driver failed. Shorted
load caused the power supply to fail. Hence this kit.

You will need a manual solder vacuum from radio shack or "The Source"
so you can get solder out of the metal gromment for twin small
transistors and large transistor. Wick ribbon is nice for desoldering
simple through hole traces but not great on metal gromments.

"POP!" was our expresson for failing even didn't made any noise or
smoke.

Cheers, Wizard