Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eric

Default Primary color off because open circuit CRT heater

From another forum

Somebody says they have had a lot of CRT heaters go open circuit, causing
one of the primary colors to go off,

I have been in the trade about 30 years, fixing TV's & computer monitors, I
have had a lot of faults were one of the primary color has gone off, But I
have never had one of the heaters go off, in fact a work mate joked with me
once because we saw this fault-remedy given on Internet. sort of "right !!!
pull our other tit"

I have had my share of the heaters going off completely, e.g. all three, but
never one or two out of the three.

I would be interested to see what opinions you people have on the CRT heater
issue.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del

I saw one years ago. I think that some (all?) crt filaments are wired
in parallel, and one of them can open causing no color in that gun.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"Eric" wrote in message ...
From another forum

Somebody says they have had a lot of CRT heaters go open circuit, causing
one of the primary colors to go off,

I have been in the trade about 30 years, fixing TV's & computer monitors,
have had a lot of faults were one of the primary color has gone off, But I
have never had one of the heaters go off, in fact a work mate joked with
me
once because we saw this fault-remedy given on Internet. sort of "right
!!!
pull our other tit"

I have had my share of the heaters going off completely, e.g. all three,
but
never one or two out of the three.

I would be interested to see what opinions you people have on the CRT
heater
issue.

Likewise, in 35 years in the business, I can only ever remember one
individual heater going open on a TV tube.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chuck

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:39:55 +1300, "Eric" wrote:

From another forum

Somebody says they have had a lot of CRT heaters go open circuit, causing
one of the primary colors to go off,

I have been in the trade about 30 years, fixing TV's & computer monitors, I
have had a lot of faults were one of the primary color has gone off, But I
have never had one of the heaters go off, in fact a work mate joked with me
once because we saw this fault-remedy given on Internet. sort of "right !!!
pull our other tit"

I have had my share of the heaters going off completely, e.g. all three, but
never one or two out of the three.

I would be interested to see what opinions you people have on the CRT heater
issue.

This fault was common back in the round rca picture tube days. (1960s). Chuck

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have been repairing TV's since 1969 and monitors since 1992.
About 2 months ago, I had a Sony 17" monitor with one of the heaters
off, resulting
in the loss of that color. I think I had one go bad in a TV, but that
has been so long
ago, that I cannot remember when.
John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

I have, only on a very few occasions, seen one of the heaters go out in a
colour tube. This is very rare. Usually when a CRT goes weak, it is not the
heater that is a fault. It is the electron guns that wear out. The CRT
heaters will usually work longer than the life span of the set.

--

JANA
_____

"Eric" wrote in message ...
From another forum

Somebody says they have had a lot of CRT heaters go open circuit, causing
one of the primary colors to go off,

I have been in the trade about 30 years, fixing TV's & computer monitors, I
have had a lot of faults were one of the primary color has gone off, But I
have never had one of the heaters go off, in fact a work mate joked with me
once because we saw this fault-remedy given on Internet. sort of "right !!!
pull our other tit"

I have had my share of the heaters going off completely, e.g. all three, but
never one or two out of the three.

I would be interested to see what opinions you people have on the CRT heater
issue.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:39:55 +1300, "Eric" wrote:

From another forum

Somebody says they have had a lot of CRT heaters go open circuit, causing
one of the primary colors to go off,

I have been in the trade about 30 years, fixing TV's & computer monitors, I
have had a lot of faults were one of the primary color has gone off, But I
have never had one of the heaters go off, in fact a work mate joked with me
once because we saw this fault-remedy given on Internet. sort of "right !!!
pull our other tit"

I have had my share of the heaters going off completely, e.g. all three, but
never one or two out of the three.

I would be interested to see what opinions you people have on the CRT heater
issue.

I've seen it once on a 70's Sony that had an open red heater. Most
CRTs seem to have series connected heaters (at least the ones I've
seen with open heaters). I have an 18 month old 27" Panasonic HDTV
with open heaters right now.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Sewell

"Eric" wrote in message ...
From another forum

Somebody says they have had a lot of CRT heaters go open circuit, causing
one of the primary colors to go off,

I have been in the trade about 30 years, fixing TV's & computer monitors,

have had a lot of faults were one of the primary color has gone off, But I
have never had one of the heaters go off, in fact a work mate joked with

me
once because we saw this fault-remedy given on Internet. sort of "right

!!!
pull our other tit"

I have had my share of the heaters going off completely, e.g. all three,

but
never one or two out of the three.

I would be interested to see what opinions you people have on the CRT

heater
issue.

I vaguely recall having a TV pass my way about 25 year back that had an open
circuit CRT heater on one colour. I think it was some european thing, like
Telefunken or Grundig (it was a long time ago). One of the very few sets I
recall that had parallel CRT heaters that came my way.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"David Sewell" wrote in message

"Eric" wrote in message ...
From another forum

[...]

This is interesting that people are saying that the heaters are in series,
normally. I don't think that here in the UK, I have ever seen a tube with
anything BUT parallel heaters with a nominal supply voltage of 6.3. That
includes both TV sets, domestic, European and Far Eastern, and computer
monitors. Is it really common for the three heaters to be in series in the
US ? If so, what voltage drives them ? Whose makes of CRT are we talking
here ? I would have thought that a lot of CRTs encountered nowadays in the
US, would be of far eastern origin, so similar to ones we see over here ??

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
clifto

Eric wrote:
I would be interested to see what opinions you people have on the CRT heater
issue.

I've seen a couple. At least one was caused by a bad weld on the
connecting "wires" in the neck.