Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default Primary color off because open circuit CRT heater

"David Sewell" wrote in message

"Eric" wrote in message ...
From another forum

Somebody says they have had a lot of CRT heaters go open circuit, causing
one of the primary colors to go off,

I have been in the trade about 30 years, fixing TV's & computer monitors,

have had a lot of faults were one of the primary color has gone off, But
have never had one of the heaters go off, in fact a work mate joked with

me
once because we saw this fault-remedy given on Internet. sort of "right

!!!
pull our other tit"

I have had my share of the heaters going off completely, e.g. all three,

but
never one or two out of the three.

I would be interested to see what opinions you people have on the CRT

heater
issue.

I vaguely recall having a TV pass my way about 25 year back that had an
open
circuit CRT heater on one colour. I think it was some european thing,
like
Telefunken or Grundig (it was a long time ago). One of the very few sets I
recall that had parallel CRT heaters that came my way.

This is interesting that people are saying that the heaters are in series,
normally. I don't think that here in the UK, I have ever seen a tube with
anything BUT parallel heaters with a nominal supply voltage of 6.3. That
includes both TV sets, domestic, European and Far Eastern, and computer
monitors. Is it really common for the three heaters to be in series in the
US ? If so, what voltage drives them ? Whose makes of CRT are we talking
here ? I would have thought that a lot of CRTs encountered nowadays in the
US, would be of far eastern origin, so similar to ones we see over here ??

Arfa