Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Kaplan

Default Need to find a motor

I need to find a replacement motot for my cheal DVD player. This isn't to
save money, but it's become a mission!

The best info I have is a label on it that says:

M.T.C. 5.9V. CW
03-12-17
CCM03-059R1- illegible

The motor is round, barely an inch in diameter

I've Googled my fingers off, but nothing. And since the DVD is made by ESA,
so no luck there.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to look for small
motors?

Thanks ahead

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Kaplan

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
How have you determined the motor is bad?

while still a novice i was able to find two motors. one that spins the DVD
and one that opens the door. the door no longer opened, and examining the
motor for the door i noticed some type of corosion.

so while it's a guess, i think it's a pretty good one. only thing is i have
no idea how to find the replacement.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

while still a novice i was able to find two motors. one that spins the DVD
and one that opens the door. the door no longer opened, and examining the
motor for the door i noticed some type of corosion.

so while it's a guess, i think it's a pretty good one. only thing is i have
no idea how to find the replacement.

I'd be surprised if the motor is your problem, a bit of corrosion is
nothing to worry about. Fortunately motors are very easy to test, simply
apply power to it with a battery, a 6v lantern battery would be ideal
but a few C batteries in series or maybe even a 9v would work. If the
motor spins then it's ok.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Kaplan

"James Sweet" wrote in message

I'd be surprised if the motor is your problem, a bit of corrosion is
nothing to worry about. Fortunately motors are very easy to test, simply
apply power to it with a battery, a 6v lantern battery would be ideal but
a few C batteries in series or maybe even a 9v would work. If the motor
spins then it's ok.

Will do that but am willing to take that chance, but can anyone give me a
clue as to where to find these type of motors????

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Will do that but am willing to take that chance, but can anyone give me a
clue as to where to find these type of motors????

Other scrapped DVD players, CD players, some of the surplus companies
online such as Electronic Goldmine and others may have something suitable.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Kaplan

Other scrapped DVD players, CD players, some of the surplus companies
online such as Electronic Goldmine and others may have something suitable.

EXCELLENT SITE! Thanks!

Curious, do you have other company links? Would love to have as many as
possible.

Thanks again to all!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken G.

Those dvd motors are cheaply made . They run on very low voltage . A CD
motor is different .
Just because it spins on a battery does not mean its good .It could be
running rough causing problems . or have stiff bearings . These run on
such low voltage they need to turn very free to work right . Spinning
one at high speed on a battery can sometimes limber it up enough to work
again but probably not long .

What brand name is the player ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Kaplan

"Ken G." wrote in message

Those dvd motors are cheaply made . They run on very low voltage . A CD
motor is different .
Just because it spins on a battery does not mean its good .It could be
running rough causing problems . or have stiff bearings . These run on
such low voltage they need to turn very free to work right . Spinning
one at high speed on a battery can sometimes limber it up enough to work
again but probably not long .

What brand name is the player ?

oh, it's a cheapy...ESA. which i could easily replace for $35. however, i
used to be a tinkerer as a kid, not bad, but not on this level. so for $7
(1.29 + shipping) it's become a mission ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Ken G. wrote:
Those dvd motors are cheaply made . They run on very low voltage . A CD
motor is different .
Just because it spins on a battery does not mean its good .It could be
running rough causing problems . or have stiff bearings . These run on
such low voltage they need to turn very free to work right . Spinning
one at high speed on a battery can sometimes limber it up enough to work
again but probably not long .

What brand name is the player ?

Unless I'm mistaken, we're talking the eject mechanism motor, those are
very much not critical.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Kaplan

Unless I'm mistaken, we're talking the eject mechanism motor, those are
very much not critical.

we are, but if the door won't open, then it's really critical.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Unless I'm mistaken, we're talking the eject mechanism motor, those are
very much not critical.

we are, but if the door won't open, then it's really critical.

What I meant is that the specifications of the motor are not critical,
anything of similar voltage and physical size should work ok.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Kaplan

What I meant is that the specifications of the motor are not critical,
anything of similar voltage and physical size should work ok.

ahhh, got it, misudnerstood what you meant. anyway i ordered the motor
already and will know in a week or two. so either this works, and i will
feel all warm and tingly inside, or my next DVD player will end up costing
me an extra 7 bucks ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Kaplan

Thanks to all that helped, and www.goldmine-elec.com was truly a gold mine!
for $1.29 (plus six dolalrs shipping) i was able to fix my DVD player just
by replacing a dead motor.

I cannot express the giddiness I am feeling over finally being one up on the
universe!

Curious, everything I did here was tinkering, and recommendations on what to
get if I want to explore more? Start learning more about diagnosing bad
capicitors, etc?

As stupid as this sounds, fixing a $35 DVD player actually made me feel so
alive!

THanks again!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Daniel Kaplan wrote:
Thanks to all that helped, and www.goldmine-elec.com was truly a gold mine!
for $1.29 (plus six dolalrs shipping) i was able to fix my DVD player just
by replacing a dead motor.

I cannot express the giddiness I am feeling over finally being one up on the
universe!

Curious, everything I did here was tinkering, and recommendations on what to
get if I want to explore more? Start learning more about diagnosing bad
capicitors, etc?

As stupid as this sounds, fixing a $35 DVD player actually made me feel so
alive!

THanks again!

Well damn, it was the motor, I guess it's just one of those times...

Yeah that's exactly why I fix a good portion of the stuff I do, just
because I can and it's fun. There's plenty of things I've spent more
time mucking with than they were worth, but I knew I could fix them so I
kept at it until I did.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Kaplan

Well damn, it was the motor, I guess it's just one of those times...

Yeah that's exactly why I fix a good portion of the stuff I do, just
because I can and it's fun. There's plenty of things I've spent more time
mucking with than they were worth, but I knew I could fix them so I kept
at it until I did.

so what would you recommend as a next step? i WANT to learn more! learn
how to diagnose, etc. etc. any direction / books you can point me to?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Daniel Kaplan wrote:
"James Sweet" wrote in message

Well damn, it was the motor, I guess it's just one of those times...

Yeah that's exactly why I fix a good portion of the stuff I do, just
because I can and it's fun. There's plenty of things I've spent more time
mucking with than they were worth, but I knew I could fix them so I kept
at it until I did.

so what would you recommend as a next step? i WANT to learn more! learn
how to diagnose, etc. etc. any direction / books you can point me to?

Just get more broken stuff, is there a section on craigslist.org near you?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Kaplan

Daniel Kaplan wrote:
"James Sweet" wrote in message

so what would you recommend as a next step? i WANT to learn more! learn
how to diagnose, etc. etc. any direction / books you can point me to?

Just get more broken stuff, is there a section on craigslist.org near you?

well i have more broken stuff, but how would just looking at broken stuff
help me with mroe complex electronics?

and what do you mean by a "section" on craigslist near me? i know
craigslist, but what do you mean by section?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

well i have more broken stuff, but how would just looking at broken stuff
help me with mroe complex electronics?

Well what's wrong with it? If you post the model of whatever the thing
is and a description of the symptoms people may be able to give you
pointers that will get you started. You'll probably find, as I did, that
once you work on a number of monitors or TV's for example, they all
start looking pretty similar on the inside and the same few problems
tend to turn up on a lot of them.

and what do you mean by a "section" on craigslist near me? i know
craigslist, but what do you mean by section?

Section as in location, the Seattle craigslist for example won't help
you much if you're in say, Florida or vice versa.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Kaplan

Well what's wrong with it? If you post the model of whatever the thing is
and a description of the symptoms people may be able to give you pointers
that will get you started. You'll probably find, as I did, that once you
work on a number of monitors or TV's for example, they all start looking
pretty similar on the inside and the same few problems tend to turn up on
a lot of them.

Section as in location, the Seattle craigslist for example won't help you
much if you're in say, Florida or vice versa.

nyc...yes, i have craiglist in my area! but the point is, looking at a
broken monitor, without some basic knowledge, or some guide book, how can i
even attempt to diagnose and fix. i got lucky with the DVD, was able to
trace it to somethign physical, the motor...electronics will be different,
was hoping there was some good starter book out there someone could
recommend

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

nyc...yes, i have craiglist in my area! but the point is, looking at a
broken monitor, without some basic knowledge, or some guide book, how can i
even attempt to diagnose and fix. i got lucky with the DVD, was able to
trace it to somethign physical, the motor...electronics will be different,
was hoping there was some good starter book out there someone could
recommend

If there's a worthwhile book on repairing electronics, I've never seen
one. Most techs learn from experience.

What's wrong with the monitor?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Kaplan

i never said monitor...have a dead VCR.

so you want me to just open it and look? granted that worked with the DVD
player, but only cause it was the motor....how would i know WHAT to look for
if it's electronic, not physical?

nyc...yes, i have craiglist in my area! but the point is, looking at a
broken monitor, without some basic knowledge, or some guide book, how can
i even attempt to diagnose and fix. i got lucky with the DVD, was able
to trace it to somethign physical, the motor...electronics will be
different, was hoping there was some good starter book out there someone
could recommend

If there's a worthwhile book on repairing electronics, I've never seen
one. Most techs learn from experience.

What's wrong with the monitor?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Daniel Kaplan wrote:
i never said monitor...have a dead VCR.

so you want me to just open it and look? granted that worked with the DVD
player, but only cause it was the motor....how would i know WHAT to look for
if it's electronic, not physical?

Well what's wrong with the darn thing? I said earlier, if you post a
general description of the problem, along with the brand and model of
whatever the equipment is, someone can tell you what to look for.

Simply saying "it's broken, how do I fix it" won't get you anywhere,
it's not enough information.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Kaplan

Simply saying "it's broken, how do I fix it" won't get you anywhere, it's
not enough information.

all i am saying is i want to learn more, the basics....surelty there must be
some point of reference i can be pointed towards?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Daniel Kaplan wrote:
"James Sweet" wrote in message

Simply saying "it's broken, how do I fix it" won't get you anywhere, it's
not enough information.

all i am saying is i want to learn more, the basics....surelty there must be
some point of reference i can be pointed towards?

The FAQ for this newsgroup is a good start.