Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

Default hp Color Laserjet 4550 transfer belt error

I have a hp color laserjet 4550 that displays "check transfer belt"
and refuses to print. It shows this error after warm up, but before
calibration. I tried the belt in another 4550 and it worked fine. I
confirmed that the belt is moving by noting the location of a mark on
the belt. Someone else has already looked at the printer and
supposedly replaced "everything" without fixing it. I'm the last
effort before it's scrapped. Has anyone seen this error before?
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Clint Sharp

In message , Andy Cuffe
writes
I have a hp color laserjet 4550 that displays "check transfer belt"
and refuses to print. It shows this error after warm up, but before
calibration. I tried the belt in another 4550 and it worked fine. I
confirmed that the belt is moving by noting the location of a mark on
the belt. Someone else has already looked at the printer and
supposedly replaced "everything" without fixing it. I'm the last
effort before it's scrapped. Has anyone seen this error before?

Yes, check the connector the transfer belt mates into on the printer to
make sure there isn't a scrap of paper jammed in it, quite a common
fault.

--
Clint Sharp

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:26:44 +0000, Clint Sharp
wrote:

In message , Andy Cuffe
writes
I have a hp color laserjet 4550 that displays "check transfer belt"
and refuses to print. It shows this error after warm up, but before
calibration. I tried the belt in another 4550 and it worked fine. I
confirmed that the belt is moving by noting the location of a mark on
the belt. Someone else has already looked at the printer and
supposedly replaced "everything" without fixing it. I'm the last
effort before it's scrapped. Has anyone seen this error before?

Yes, check the connector the transfer belt mates into on the printer to
make sure there isn't a scrap of paper jammed in it, quite a common
fault.

The connector is fine. I've checked the signal coming from the
optical sensor and there is a pulse every time the registration hole
passes the sensor. I've tried running the engine test without the
formatter board installed and it also fails to print. I swapped the
DC controller from my working 4550 into it and the results are the
same. I have the service manual, but I've already checked everything
it suggests for this error.