Indu Prakash

Default SV2000 VCR Noise When Not Playing

I have this SV200 VCR which plays fine but continously gives an intermitten
noise signal if nothing is playing (even during forward and reverse). This
happens both from audio/video and RF output and there is nothing wrong with
the TV. Any leads as to where should I start looking ?

Thanks

Jumpster Jiver

Indu Prakash wrote:
I have this SV200 VCR which plays fine but continously gives an intermitten
noise signal if nothing is playing (even during forward and reverse). This
happens both from audio/video and RF output and there is nothing wrong with
the TV. Any leads as to where should I start looking ?

Thanks

Depends on what kind of noise you mean, but sounds like it could be a
power supply problem. You didn't mention what brand name or how old but
if it's an older VCR with a linear power supply I'd suspect bad
filtering caps.
Indu Prakash

The model # is SV2000 but there is no brand mentioned. Websearch revealed
that this belongs to Orion brand which possibly is a Philips offshoot. The
noise is similar to the white noise you would see in TV if there was no
signal for the selected channel. If it were a power supply problem then
shouldn't the noise happen as well when I'm playing a tape ?

"Jumpster Jiver" wrote in message
Indu Prakash wrote:
I have this SV200 VCR which plays fine but continously gives an
intermitten noise signal if nothing is playing (even during forward and
reverse). This happens both from audio/video and RF output and there is
nothing wrong with the TV. Any leads as to where should I start looking ?

Thanks

Depends on what kind of noise you mean, but sounds like it could be a
power supply problem. You didn't mention what brand name or how old but
if it's an older VCR with a linear power supply I'd suspect bad filtering
caps.

3T39

Hello, Indu!
You wrote on Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:02:44 GMT:

If I understand correctly, the VCR is OK playing tapes but intermittently
loses the broadcast signal when not playing a tape. If so, then the previous
poster is right I would first suspect the power supply to the tuner. If the
noise happens whilst playing a tape, then thats a bit more complicated.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail:

Jumpster Jiver

3T39 wrote:

Hello, Indu!
You wrote on Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:02:44 GMT:

If I understand correctly, the VCR is OK playing tapes but intermittently
loses the broadcast signal when not playing a tape. If so, then the previous
poster is right I would first suspect the power supply to the tuner. If the
noise happens whilst playing a tape, then thats a bit more complicated.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail:

That's sort of what I was thinking - maybe a ripple in the supply or
control voltages to the tuner. The main filter caps would probably
affect all functions but maybe it's a ripple on one supply voltage.
Or maybe a bad tuner or tuner control circuitry.

Ray L. Volts

3T39 wrote:

Hello, Indu!
You wrote on Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:02:44 GMT:

If I understand correctly, the VCR is OK playing tapes but
intermittently loses the broadcast signal when not playing a tape. If so,
then the previous poster is right I would first suspect the power supply
to the tuner. If the noise happens whilst playing a tape, then thats a
bit more complicated.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail:

That's sort of what I was thinking - maybe a ripple in the supply or
control voltages to the tuner. The main filter caps would probably affect
all functions but maybe it's a ripple on one supply voltage.
Or maybe a bad tuner or tuner control circuitry.

Or as simple as a bad solder joint at the tuner module.