Loftydon

Default GE Spectra Range Electronics display unit bad...

After a power surge, my oven electronics display doesn't light up and the
oven no longer works. The electronics package number is: WB27T10230 and
the GE model No. is 191D2818P002. It looks like the PC board mounted
power transformer (ETP41KAN41CA)primary is open (desoldered & tested with
ohmmeter. The module is relatively expensive to replace. Would be nice to
have a schematic showing the primary & secondary voltages. Anyone have
any ideas about where to get an inexpensive module? I guess I could use
an auto-transformer and apply an AC voltage to the secondary side; when
the display lights up I could measure the value and then try to find a
suitable stock transformer...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Don in sunny Florida

Skype_man

Power surges sometimes only blow a transformer primary.
If so, some transformers can be fixed. If there are three legs
on the primary, you MAY be able to use the other leg, as long
as it's not a 120/220 volt transformer. Sky

Loftydon wrote:
After a power surge, my oven electronics display doesn't light up and
the oven no longer works. The electronics package number is: WB27T10230
and the GE model No. is 191D2818P002.

That sounds like the drawing number of the electronics. The model
number of the whole range will most likely start with a J.

The module is relatively expensive to replace.

Google says $85 plus or minus.

Would be nice to have a schematic showing the primary & secondary
voltages.

Doesn't exist.

Quite often these will have a simple power supply - the transformer
secondary will go to a bridge rectifier and a filter cap. Look at the
voltage rating printed on the filter cap and divide by 1.4 to get a
maximum RMS AC value for the transformer. It could be anything but I'd
guess it might be a "standard" value like 6, 12, or 24 V.

Anyone have any ideas about where to get an inexpensive module?

Call around. A local independent parts distributor may be able to give
you a good price. (In Florida, try Marcone.) I've looked up lots of
appliance parts on the Web and then gone down to my local guy and bought
them cheaper.

I guess I could use an auto-transformer and apply an AC voltage to the
secondary side; when the display lights up I could measure the value
and then try to find a suitable stock transformer...

I wouldn't use the auto-transformer output directly. I'd find something
like a 24 V, 2 A transformer, and wire the secondary to the range control
and the primary to the autotransformer. I'd also try and wire an
ammeter in series with the 24 V output so I could shut down if the
current goes way up.

Disclaimer: I used to sell appliance parts for GE, but I don't anymore.

Matt Roberds