Default Sony DVD/CD player model DVP-S530D will not read DVD's

I had this unit in the shop about 6 months ago with a bad motor. I
replaced the motor, being very careful to measure the height of the
platter before disassemling the old one . The new one went in without a
hitch and the unit worked fine. It just came back with the complaint
that it would not play. I determined that CD's will play fine but when
attempting to play a DVD I get a No Disc message.
I cleaned the laser and there was no difference. I then swapped the
laser asssembly with one from a known good machine and it works. So I
have determined that the problem does not seem to be the motor. It
appears that it is either in the laser itself or perhaps could the
platter height of my replacement job have been marginal from the last
repair, and perhaps the laser has aged somewhat now causing the CD's
to read OK but not the DVD's.? I'm just guessing here. If a machine
will read CD's should it just follow that it should also read DVD's? I
don't see a power adjustment on the laser assembly and really wouldn't
want to mess with it unless I was sure anyway. Does anyone have any
opinions on this and also a quick easy way to rule out platter height
vs laser aging as the source of the problem? Thanks for any assistance.
Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's a bad laser, as was recently discussed in detail, DVD players generally
use two separate lasers in a single pickup, one IR for CD's and one visible
red for DVDs. What you're seeing is one of the most common failure modes of
DVD players.

Mark D. Zacharias

"James Sweet" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

This model does use a single - diode (red) laser, but I also believe it's
the pickup. All one can really do is try one. Beware of generics, though.
Heard horror stories about those, and if you install one and it doesn't
work, it just muddies the water further.

Mark Z.

Leonard Caillouet

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message

"James Sweet" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Do any modern DVD players use multiple diodes?

Leonard

Mark D. Zacharias

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message

"James Sweet" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Most if not all modern ones use 'dual-wave" types which function as two
separate diodes in one housing.

Mark Z.

Is there even a remote possibility that a slight platter height
adjustment might possibly make this thing work again? Lenny

Arfa Daily

wrote in message
ps.com...
Is there even a remote possibility that a slight platter height
adjustment might possibly make this thing work again? Lenny

Most Sonys have built in auto setup, and I'm 99% certain, without going and
digging out the manual, that the 530 does as well. You will need to be armed
with a single layer disc ( typical shop ' demo ' disc ), a standard dual
layer disc, and a standard CD. Running the auto setup, will check and reset
the tracking and focus servos,amongst other things, which will take out any
slack arising from a slightly mis-set turntable height.

Any time a Sony is worked on, and particularly if any deck components have
been replaced, the auto setup should be run as a matter of course.

I think that you press " TITLE " " CLEAR " and " POWER " all together on
the remote, to get into the service mode, then select auto setup, followed
by " all " then accept " Reset Defaults " then follow the onscreen
instructions. If it bombs during any of the setup sequences that follow, you
almost definitely have a defective laser.

You can review the data that's been stored when it's finished. If you
understand hexadecimal notation, if all is well, you should see that most of
the settings are within a digit or two of their centre range. If you see
that the focus offset is well off to one side on either CD or single layer
stored data, assume that the turntable height is significantly wrong.

Arfa

You mentioned "single layer" and "dual layer" .I'm assuming you're
refering to DVD's? I have no demo's so can I use standard commercially
recorded DVD's or DVD's we burned ourselves, and if so how would I know
if any of these are single or dual? Thanks, Lenny.

Arfa Daily

wrote in message
oups.com...
You mentioned "single layer" and "dual layer" .I'm assuming you're
refering to DVD's? I have no demo's so can I use standard commercially
recorded DVD's or DVD's we burned ourselves, and if so how would I know
if any of these are single or dual? Thanks, Lenny.

Hi Lenny

Yes, I am referring to DVDs. These should be pressed rather than burnt
types, and should really be service ' reference ' types, but these are
extortionately expensive from manufacturers,
being " hand " engineered.

The type of demo disc I am refering to, commonly came with players a few
years back, and demonstrated things like Dolby 5.1. They tended to last
about 20 minutes, and had auto looping features and such on them. You
probably wouldn't have too much trouble laying hands on one, if you asked
around the local electronics / department stores.

The machine knows if the disc is single or dual layer. When you run the auto
setup, it's the first parameter that is checked for each disc type that it
asks you to put in. If it's wrong, it will abort, and spit the disc back out
again.

Toshiba did one - DVDZ-9048 is the PAL version. Sony also did one -
HVE-DVDS/2001.

If you can't get a single layer disc, all is not lost, however. You can set
the disc types manually in the main auto setup menu. Instead of selecting "
0 - ALL ", select each individual disc type that you have ie DVD - DL and
CD. Any commercially produced full-price pressed discs are good enough for
setting up. I wouldn't recommend using the freebies that pop up all over the
place now, as some of these are of extremely dubious quality.

Arfa

Well this is sort of an uncomfortable situation. I have obviously
already gotten paid for replacing the motor. I realise that the
subsequent failure of the laser is not predictible and not my fault,
and although my customer may realise it too she will be very unhappy
about this. I would like to try to keep her as a customer and get this
thing going for her even at cost if need be. How much will a
replacement laser cost me? I'm fairly certain that Sony will try to
rape me if they even make this part available by itself that is. Are
there generics available that will fit right into these Sony's without
modification? Or does anyone perhaps have a unit with a bad motor and
good laser that they would be willing to part with? Probably never
should have fixed this piece of crap in the first place. Lenny Stein,
Barlen Electronics.

Mark D. Zacharias

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well this is sort of an uncomfortable situation. I have obviously
already gotten paid for replacing the motor. I realise that the
subsequent failure of the laser is not predictible and not my fault,
and although my customer may realise it too she will be very unhappy
about this. I would like to try to keep her as a customer and get this
thing going for her even at cost if need be. How much will a
replacement laser cost me? I'm fairly certain that Sony will try to
rape me if they even make this part available by itself that is. Are
there generics available that will fit right into these Sony's without
modification? Or does anyone perhaps have a unit with a bad motor and
good laser that they would be willing to part with? Probably never
should have fixed this piece of crap in the first place. Lenny Stein,
Barlen Electronics.

The replacement, A-6062-397-A is about 60.00 plus freight from Andrews
Electronics. I've heard horror stories about generics on these, especially
that used, bad pickups are being sold as new.

Mark Z.

SONY digital camera parts

We have stocks of this Laser OPtical pick ups and for that matter any
sony part for Model DVP-S530D .

e mail us to
Costs US$90.00 + Shipping.

Mark D. Zacharias

"SONY digital camera parts" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have stocks of this Laser OPtical pick ups and for that matter any
sony part for Model DVP-S530D .

e mail us to
Costs US$90.00 + Shipping.

I bet you sell lots of those, too!

Mark Z.

90.00 plus shipping?????
I'm trying to do this lady a favor! Do you know what this unit cost
new? Thank you but with all due respects I believe that you missed the
point entirely. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.