Lenny

Default Sony Playstation 2 disc read problem

Customer brought this unit in and it wouldn't read anything after they
put in a certain game. I got the unit, found it to be somewhat dirty
inside and cleaned the laser and slapped it back together and noted
same problem. I then tried different games etc, still the same. With a
different known good DVD it started to read but then failed. It seemed
to be searching for a track but just timed out and said no data. I
then restarted it and tapped the right side and the drive motor seemed
to change tone and it started to read again. This failed again. I then
tried this suspecting game in my own test unit and although it seems
to have some of its own problems locking up at times I can't imagine
this caused the unit to fail. So now I am stuck. Not sure where to
turn from here, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike Stein,
Barlen Electronics.

Note: All replys through this forum would be fine however if you would
prefer to email me directly please use:
.
BFriedl

Stupid cheap laser units in these consoles. The disc read error is a
common one for a ps2 over 1 year old. Especially the first generations.
If you have a O-scope, there are sites where you can adjust the pots on
the pickup; perhaps they are out of tolerance.

--
BFriedl
A+ Certified Technician

LASERandDVDfan

Customer brought this unit in and it wouldn't read anything after they
put in a certain game. I got the unit, found it to be somewhat dirty
inside and cleaned the laser and slapped it back together and noted
same problem. I then tried different games etc, still the same. With a
different known good DVD it started to read but then failed.

After cleaning the innards of the drive, did you relubricate the pickup kicker
mechanism?

The dust can dry up the lubrication on the kicker mechanism, so you will have
to clean up the worm gear on the right side of the pickup and the slider path
on the left side of the pickup. Use high quality molytone grease.

You will not be able to relube the disc spindle motor. The motor is a sealed
brushless assembly.

Also, how did you do the cleaning?

What you may have to do is airblast the innards of the optical pickup. Dust
can collect inside of it and cause problems. Use compressed air and blow it
into the pickup. Be careful, though. You can easily damage the pickup this
way if you don't know what you're doing. - Reinhart
LASERandDVDfan

Thanks to all who responded. I will check into all these things,
Regards, Lenny Stein.

Please do tell us how it goes. - Reinhart