Default Mitsubishi 50" tv that won't turn on.

This is the typical problem that I see with these tv's posted all over
the internet, hit the power button, light is green for a few seconds,
and then turns off. I haven't found any good suggestions as to the
cause or possible fix for it, outside of sending it to a tech. That is
fine, as my last option, but I come to these sites for suggestions as
to what "I" can do to fix the problem with as little money going out as
possible. The tv is a VS-50603 and is about 5 years old, so the other
thing I see is, "buy a new tv". I have no problems with this tv, when
working, and it is the one I have in my bedroom, so I don't care to
spend a lot to replace a tv in my bedroom, I have a much newer one in
the living room and it cost more than enough. Also, this may just be
me, but I would like to get more than 5 years out of something this
expensive. It still looks brand new and is just a couple years out of
warranty, so I don't want to scrap it. My parents had their tv for
about twenty-five years, so I'd hate to think that quality of products
is getting that much worse, even though I know that it is. It started
smoking a while back when I turned it off and I had a tech come pick it
up for $80 and they charged me $370 to replace a board that blew out.
So, a few months later, this happens. I don't believe the two are
related and don't believe that he did anything wrong, it worked fine
for 3 months. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
in advance.

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's one of those situations where either you know where to start diagnosing
and can provide some more details so people can make suggestions, or you
should have a tech look at it. There's really no magic button you can push
inside to make it work, any number of things could fail and cause the no
power symptom.

Jumpster Jiver

[...]

To get the advice you're looking for you need to do some basic
troubleshooting, and let us know things like standby voltages, signals
etc. Then you can troubleshoot the set.
Example: Set is completely dead - check AC power from the power cord
and follow it to the power supply board and find out where the
voltage/power are NOT geting to.
Note: if you find a blown fuse, that's more like a symptom than a
problem. Chances are one or more shorted components caused it to blow.
If you replace it without checking what caused it to blow you may cause
further damage to the poer supply circuits.
If you replace it with an incorrect (higher) value, you will burn out
more components, maybe make the set not worth repairing, and maybe even
cause a fire!
With modern Projection Tvs, there is a switching power supply, and it's
not likely to be only one component causing the problem. More likely
several capacitors have each gone slightly out of their original value
and caused multiple transistors, diodes, and ICs to fail.
This means if you don't troubleshoot and test enough components, you
could end up finding ten bad components, replacing them, and then an
11th bad part causes the ten replacements to fail again.

None of this is meant to discourage you. Do some basic troubleshooting
and post your initial results here.

Too_Many_Tools

I too just posted concerning the same brand and same problem.

I too saw the same problem posted repeatily.

I suspect it is a very common problem that spans the Mits line.

I have yet to see anyone discuss the solution.

If anyone knows the Mits line and this problem, I would love to hear a
technical discusson as to why it is happening.

Anyone with a schematic who can take a look?

Cany anyone post a schematic so we can all look?

Thanks

TMT

James Sweet

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I too just posted concerning the same brand and same problem.

I too saw the same problem posted repeatily.

I suspect it is a very common problem that spans the Mits line.

I have yet to see anyone discuss the solution.

If anyone knows the Mits line and this problem, I would love to hear a
technical discusson as to why it is happening.

Anyone with a schematic who can take a look?

Cany anyone post a schematic so we can all look?

Thanks

TMT

As I posted earlier, that symptom could be caused by any number of problems,
you simply have to do some troubleshooting to narrow it down a little,
otherwise it's like asking "my car won't run, what's wrong with it?"

Ken Weitzel

James Sweet wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...

I too just posted concerning the same brand and same problem.

I too saw the same problem posted repeatily.

I suspect it is a very common problem that spans the Mits line.

I have yet to see anyone discuss the solution.

If anyone knows the Mits line and this problem, I would love to hear a
technical discusson as to why it is happening.

Anyone with a schematic who can take a look?

Cany anyone post a schematic so we can all look?

Thanks

TMT

As I posted earlier, that symptom could be caused by any number of problems,
you simply have to do some troubleshooting to narrow it down a little,
otherwise it's like asking "my car won't run, what's wrong with it?"

That one's real easy to answer, James. It's broke!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Ken

Ken G.

Cant be done . There are to many parts that could be the cause . You
have to be able to use test equipment on it .

Lesson i have learned by working on many big screen tv sets .. Dont buy
them .

James Sweet

"Ken G." wrote in message
Cant be done . There are to many parts that could be the cause . You
have to be able to use test equipment on it .

Lesson i have learned by working on many big screen tv sets .. Dont buy
them .

Yeah, wait until someone is tired of the broken one taking up space in their
house then get it for free, got 5 or 6 of them that way and just kept
trading up until I had a nice one and everyone else in my family who wanted
one or had space has one but they can be a real pain to work on.

Too_Many_Tools

I realize that the symptom COULD be caused by any number of problems
BUT since the symptom seems to be common to a significant number of
sets and seems to be the SAME symptom I would wager that the same basic
circuit is at fault.

My set is a 27" set...not exactly a large screen tv.

Again if anyone has access to the schematics, feel free to post an
image so we can all look at it...remember this is
sci.electronics.REPAIR. ;)

TMT

James Sweet

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I realize that the symptom COULD be caused by any number of problems
BUT since the symptom seems to be common to a significant number of
sets and seems to be the SAME symptom I would wager that the same basic
circuit is at fault.

My set is a 27" set...not exactly a large screen tv.

Again if anyone has access to the schematics, feel free to post an
image so we can all look at it...remember this is
sci.electronics.REPAIR. ;)

TMT

It's just not that simple though, in some sets there's a common problem that
causes that model to exhibit those symptoms, in many there's a lot of things
that can and do occasionally go wrong.

I thought we were talking about a 50" Mitsubishi? What model is your 27"?
Even if it's the same brand, internally it will have almost nothing in
common with a projection set.

Too_Many_Tools

We are talking about two different sets with the same problem.

I would normally agree that it is unlikely that they would be common
BUT if you search the archives you will see the on-off problem seems to
be very common to Mitsubish larger sets. This strongly suggests that
they used the same common circuits for the startup/power supply...I
would if I were the designer to keep production costs low across the
different lines.

Again, doesn anyone have a circuit schematic available?

TMT