30W

Default Tube replacement help...

Hello all,

I ordered some replacement tubes for an old radio for a friend. All
the tubes seemed ok except for two. One of them is missing a pin that
the original had and one has an extra pin that the original did not.

My question is do these pins matter? Is it possible all the pins are
not being used?

Original Tube Replacement Pins
6BG6GA 6BG6G Extra pin
35Y4 35Y4 Missing pin

They are going in a Sears Silvertone Radionet.

Thanks alot for any info!!

M. M.
Arfa Daily

"30W" wrote in message
Hello all,

I ordered some replacement tubes for an old radio for a friend. All
the tubes seemed ok except for two. One of them is missing a pin that
the original had and one has an extra pin that the original did not.

My question is do these pins matter? Is it possible all the pins are
not being used?

Original Tube Replacement Pins
6BG6GA 6BG6G Extra pin
35Y4 35Y4 Missing pin

They are going in a Sears Silvertone Radionet.

Thanks alot for any info!!

M. M.

The 6BG6 is a beam tetrode. According to my data book, the following pins
are used

Pin 2 - heater
Pin 3 - cathode
Pin 5 - control grid
Pin 7 - heater
Pin 8 - screen grid
Top cap - anode

Pins 1, 4 and 6 have no connection / no function

The 35Y4 is a rectifier with the following pins used

Pin 1 - heater
Pin 2 - anode
Pin 4 - heater tap
Pin 7 - cathode
Pin 8 - heater

Pins 3,5 and 6 have no connection / no function

It is not at all unusual for these Octal / B8G based tubes to have extra or
missing zero-function pins between different manufacturers, so you should
not have a problem.

Arfa

Ken Weitzel

30W wrote:
Hello all,

I ordered some replacement tubes for an old radio for a friend. All
the tubes seemed ok except for two. One of them is missing a pin that
the original had and one has an extra pin that the original did not.

My question is do these pins matter? Is it possible all the pins are
not being used?

Original Tube Replacement Pins
6BG6GA 6BG6G Extra pin
35Y4 35Y4 Missing pin

They are going in a Sears Silvertone Radionet.

Thanks alot for any info!!

M. M.

Hi M M

If it's any help at all, my ever shortening memory has me believing
that the last digit of the type indicates the number of pins actually used.

Ken

Ken Weitzel:
That is an "old wives" tale that I heard in the 60's when I learned
electronics with tube equipment .... some might believe would specify
the number of elements in the tube but there are so many, many
exceptions. On some tubes it works if you count the heater as one
element, other tubes count it as two elements.... snd still others,
don't count it at all.... in other words, the rule doesn't work
reliably.
electricitym
..
..

Michael A. Terrell

30W wrote:

Hello all,

I ordered some replacement tubes for an old radio for a friend. All
the tubes seemed ok except for two. One of them is missing a pin that
the original had and one has an extra pin that the original did not.

My question is do these pins matter? Is it possible all the pins are
not being used?

Original Tube Replacement Pins
6BG6GA 6BG6G Extra pin
35Y4 35Y4 Missing pin

They are going in a Sears Silvertone Radionet.

Thanks alot for any info!!

M. M.

news:rec.antiques.radio+phono is where the tube people hang out.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Arfa Daily

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
30W wrote:

Hello all,

I ordered some replacement tubes for an old radio for a friend. All
the tubes seemed ok except for two. One of them is missing a pin that
the original had and one has an extra pin that the original did not.

My question is do these pins matter? Is it possible all the pins are
not being used?

Original Tube Replacement Pins
6BG6GA 6BG6G Extra pin
35Y4 35Y4 Missing pin

They are going in a Sears Silvertone Radionet.

Thanks alot for any info!!

M. M.

news:rec.antiques.radio+phono is where the tube people hang out.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Is where SOME tube people hang out. Not all tube equipment is antique, or
even vintage. Much is still manufactured now.

Arfa

James Sweet

Is where SOME tube people hang out. Not all tube equipment is antique, or
even vintage. Much is still manufactured now.

Arfa

I dunno about "much", sure there's some tube equipment still made but most
of it is exorbitantly expensive audiophool gear, quite a lot more tube gear
is vintage.

Arfa Daily

"James Sweet" wrote in message

Is where SOME tube people hang out. Not all tube equipment is antique, or
even vintage. Much is still manufactured now.

Arfa

I dunno about "much", sure there's some tube equipment still made but most
of it is exorbitantly expensive audiophool gear, quite a lot more tube
gear
is vintage.

No, I still repair " much " that is currently manufactured and used by
musicians as PA equipment. Whilst some of it is quite expensive, at least an
equal amount is very reasonably priced, and certainly on a par with
similarly rated solid state equipment.

Some tubed hi fi is very high end price wise - I currently have a Shanling
SP-80 on the bench, and the price tag on that is for an amount that would
have bought you a decent secondhand car a few years ago - but there are also
reasonably priced items around, and tube designs have been making a real
comeback over the last couple of years in the home constructor market.

Arfa

Michael A. Terrell

Arfa Daily wrote:

No, I still repair " much " that is currently manufactured and used by
musicians as PA equipment. Whilst some of it is quite expensive, at least an
equal amount is very reasonably priced, and certainly on a par with
similarly rated solid state equipment.

Some tubed hi fi is very high end price wise - I currently have a Shanling
SP-80 on the bench, and the price tag on that is for an amount that would
have bought you a decent secondhand car a few years ago - but there are also
reasonably priced items around, and tube designs have been making a real
comeback over the last couple of years in the home constructor market.

Arfa

There is only a fraction of a percent of new tube gear built per
year, compared to even the late '70s when the tube was well on its way
out of the mainstream. I'll bet you could stop 100 people on the street
and not find more than one person with a tube in anything, other than a
CRT, unless you rigged the survey. People used to have 50 to 100 tubes
in various pieces of equipment around the house.

Even high power radio and TV transmitters ate going all solid state.

BTW, don't try to impress me about vacuum tube musical equipment. I
serviced it for over 30 years and I know where several Hammond organs,
and a few Leslie speakers are in use about a half mile from here. I use
to buy 100 6GH8 tubes at a time for TV repair, and had over 5000 new
tubes in stock between our two TV shops and five service trucks. I
repaired a lot of West, Sunn, Fender, and other tube musical amps. I
have worked with subminiature 1 volt tubes all the way up to 65 KW EEV
Klystron tubes used in UHF TV transmitters. Those tubes were over
$45,000 US, each, plus special freight charges.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Replacement of blast tube and end cone on oil burner Roy Starrin Home Repair 4 September 9th 05 12:52 PM
Water heater dip tube replacement Don Metalworking 5 March 3rd 04 01:22 AM
Shotgun part manufacture - magazine extension tube Jim Stewart Metalworking 16 January 24th 04 06:40 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM
Re; Tube coping JTMcC Metalworking 0 September 25th 03 12:44 AM