Roy Starrin

Default Replacement of blast tube and end cone on oil burner

"Replacement of blast tube & end cone on Beckett oil burner. Labor &
parts would run 427.66."
That's the quote I have. Am not disputing the price. What the tech
said after he did the annual maintenance was that the end cone on this
10+ year old burner was starting to go and should be replaced. He
then said that it has been his experience that when the end cone is
going bad that the blast tube will probably need to be replaced
shortly, so we might as well do both at once..
So, does this sound reasonable to heating types, or is he working on
commission?
TIA
Vince

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:27:09 GMT, Roy Starrin
wrote:

"Replacement of blast tube & end cone on Beckett oil burner. Labor &
parts would run 427.66."
That's the quote I have. Am not disputing the price. What the tech
said after he did the annual maintenance was that the end cone on this
10+ year old burner was starting to go and should be replaced. He
then said that it has been his experience that when the end cone is
going bad that the blast tube will probably need to be replaced
shortly, so we might as well do both at once..
So, does this sound reasonable to heating types, or is he working on
commission?
TIA

Check at Sid Harvey for price to retail customers.

Amun

wrote:

"Replacement of blast tube & end cone on Beckett oil burner. Labor &
parts would run 427.66."
That's the quote I have. Am not disputing the price. What the tech
said after he did the annual maintenance was that the end cone on this
10+ year old burner was starting to go and should be replaced. He
then said that it has been his experience that when the end cone is
going bad that the blast tube will probably need to be replaced
shortly, so we might as well do both at once..
So, does this sound reasonable to heating types, or is he working on
commission?
TIA

Check at Sid Harvey for price to retail customers.

For that kind of money,....I would definitely get another opinion, or
consider buying a whole new burner.
Burners are a lot different than they were 10+ years ago

Most oil suppliers offer deals to customers for newer "efficient" burners.
to keep them from switching to gas.
Check and see.
They may put in a new burner or even a whole new furnace, with a warranty,
and give you payment terms like $5.00 per month

Throw that $427 in the bank and you get an awful lot of $5.00's out of it
Plus you don't have to worry about another part breaking next month

Not factoring in that a more efficient burner will save oil as well.

And the gas company may make a good offer to get your business too.

AMUN

HeatMan

wrote:

"Replacement of blast tube & end cone on Beckett oil burner. Labor &
parts would run 427.66."
That's the quote I have. Am not disputing the price. What the tech
said after he did the annual maintenance was that the end cone on this
10+ year old burner was starting to go and should be replaced. He
then said that it has been his experience that when the end cone is
going bad that the blast tube will probably need to be replaced
shortly, so we might as well do both at once..
So, does this sound reasonable to heating types, or is he working on
commission?
TIA

Check at Sid Harvey for price to retail customers.

I'm gonna chime in here.

Setting up the burner isn't that hard. Purchasing the combustion analyzer
to make sure you've done it right (and insure you've got the highest
possible efficiency) is what costs.

Roy Starrin

wrote:

"Replacement of blast tube & end cone on Beckett oil burner. Labor &
parts would run 427.66."

snip
So, does this sound reasonable to heating types, or is he working on
commission?

Repairman has come and gone. Total bill $244. $85 for 9" blast tube
and cone assy. Also installed new "drawer assy" and nozzle.
Remainder was labor.
Why difference??? Beats me, though bill doesn't seem to charge for
drawer assy and nozzle. Original estimate done by Service manager.
Work done by tech who has been working on boiler for years