mrhoef

Default Panasonic microwave

Panasonic NN A773 combi oven on 240 V. The (internal) fuse blows when
cooking (microwave) cycle starts. The oven is brandnew and gave in after
about 20 min usage.

I opened the thing up to firdst discharge the High voltage cap, but there is
none obviously present?? I have fixed several microwaves but this one seems
to be a bit more sophisticated. Is the HV cap integrated with the magnetron?

I have checked the door switches and they seem OK. No signs on the HV board
of burning or melting. However the rectifier has no resistance over the AC
pins, but looks clean and no signs of any shortcuts while it blew a 13 A
fuse in a fraction of a second.

Anyone any suggestions about the HV cap and suggestion what else to check.

gerard

Dave D

"mrhoef" wrote in message
Panasonic NN A773 combi oven on 240 V. The (internal) fuse blows when
cooking (microwave) cycle starts. The oven is brandnew and gave in after
about 20 min usage.

I opened the thing up to firdst discharge the High voltage cap, but there
is none obviously present?? I have fixed several microwaves but this one
seems to be a bit more sophisticated. Is the HV cap integrated with the
magnetron?

I have checked the door switches and they seem OK. No signs on the HV
board of burning or melting. However the rectifier has no resistance over
the AC pins, but looks clean and no signs of any shortcuts while it blew a
13 A fuse in a fraction of a second.

Anyone any suggestions about the HV cap and suggestion what else to check.

gerard

It's brand new- put the covers back on and get it fixed under warranty. Of
course, you may well be told the warranty is void if they realise you've
been inside.

Dave

Jerry G.

Some possible causes can be a defective capacitor, defective magnetron,
defective HV diode, or defective power transformer. It is also possible that
there may be a door switch that is causing problems.

If the unit is new, there should be a warranty with it!

--

Jerry G.
======

"mrhoef" wrote in message
Panasonic NN A773 combi oven on 240 V. The (internal) fuse blows when
cooking (microwave) cycle starts. The oven is brandnew and gave in after
about 20 min usage.

I opened the thing up to firdst discharge the High voltage cap, but there is
none obviously present?? I have fixed several microwaves but this one seems
to be a bit more sophisticated. Is the HV cap integrated with the magnetron?

I have checked the door switches and they seem OK. No signs on the HV board
of burning or melting. However the rectifier has no resistance over the AC
pins, but looks clean and no signs of any shortcuts while it blew a 13 A
fuse in a fraction of a second.

Anyone any suggestions about the HV cap and suggestion what else to check.

gerard

Dave D

"mrhoef" wrote in message
No warranty, Dave; Still brandnew

Well, it's none of my business of course, but I'm curious- how come? Has it
been boxed and unused for a period which exceeds the warranty? If it's just
that you don't have the receipt or paperwork, I'd still contact the
manufacturer/supplier, they may repair it as there's bound to be a date code
somewhere.

Dave

mrhoef

If you are so curious, I will have to satisfy you. The unit is dented on one
side and posh retailers like Marks & Spencers don't sell them off cheap in a
bargain corner, so they get sent to an auction where anyone can buy them. It
is a cheap, but risky buy, since you dont' know what is wrong with the
merchandise and clearly there is no guarantee or warranty.

"Dave D" wrote in message

"mrhoef" wrote in message
No warranty, Dave; Still brandnew

Well, it's none of my business of course, but I'm curious- how come? Has
it been boxed and unused for a period which exceeds the warranty? If it's
just that you don't have the receipt or paperwork, I'd still contact the
manufacturer/supplier, they may repair it as there's bound to be a date
code somewhere.

Dave

Bob Shuman

Check the warranty with the manufacturer, not the retail establishment. I
had purchased a slightly dented Frigidaire refrigerator a few years back and
the ice maker never worked so we contacted the manufacturer and they honored
the warranty. They sent out a field tech, but he could not figure out the
problem, so they sent us a brand new (undented) unit and took away the old
one.

Bob
..
"mrhoef" wrote in message
If you are so curious, I will have to satisfy you. The unit is dented on

one
side and posh retailers like Marks & Spencers don't sell them off cheap in

bargain corner, so they get sent to an auction where anyone can buy them.

It
is a cheap, but risky buy, since you dont' know what is wrong with the
merchandise and clearly there is no guarantee or warranty.

Jim Adney

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:51:53 GMT "mrhoef"
wrote:

If you are so curious, I will have to satisfy you. The unit is dented on one
side and posh retailers like Marks & Spencers don't sell them off cheap in a
bargain corner, so they get sent to an auction where anyone can buy them. It
is a cheap, but risky buy, since you dont' know what is wrong with the
merchandise and clearly there is no guarantee or warranty.

I don't think Panasonic cares where you bought it, or for what price.
I would expect it to still be covered by their warrantee.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Dave D

"mrhoef" wrote in message
If you are so curious, I will have to satisfy you.

Thanks!

The unit is dented on one side and posh retailers like Marks & Spencers
don't sell them off cheap in a bargain corner, so they get sent to an
auction where anyone can buy them.

I like the sound of this place!

It is a cheap, but risky buy, since you dont' know what is wrong with the
merchandise and clearly there is no guarantee or warranty.

Not with the auction house, no, but if you bought it in the UK (assumption
drawn from the M&S reference, sorry if I'm wrong), your statutory rights
should be unaffected, provided the damage is not so great that it could have
caused the fault. For example, if the force that caused the dent also
cracked a PCB or destroyed the magnetron, they'd be within their rights to
refuse to honour the warranty.

I'd try the manufacturer and see if they're interested, what do you have to
lose?

Dave