Mark

Default Resistor value & visible condition?

I have just opened an Enermax PC power supply that has very reduced power
output (2v on 5v & 12v connectors). Upon visual inspection I see
encrustation on one resistor which has dripped down onto a capacitor(?).
This I am assuming is only adhesive that was dropped on it and subsequently
burned during operation but am not positive as the very small puddle at the
bottom is reminiscent of what I have seen from leaking capacitors.

Anyhow, just for the heck of it I removed the resistor for inspection and
notice a value of 15.62kohm. If I am correct in reading my bands it should
be a 25kohm +/-5%. If so this leaves me skeptical and wanting to replace it
even though I do not at all believe it is the cause of my PSU failure. What
I'm not sure of is the exact value of the resistor? Pretty positive that I'm
correct in reading it as a 25kohm unit but what wattage is it? Sure looks
like no resistor that my local Radio Shack stocks which are mainly 1/4 & 1/2
watt units.

Here are links to pictures of the resistor in question:
http://home.comcast.net/~mig317/temp...or_mounted.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~mig317/temp..._unmounted.jpg

Any info or advice regarding this resistor would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Kj

Ken Weitzel

Mark wrote:
[...]

Hi...

Perhaps the colours in the picture don't come out quite
right.... but if they do looks like 7500 ohms to me
(violet-green-red?)

Ken

NSM

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Perhaps the colours in the picture don't come out quite
right.... but if they do looks like 7500 ohms to me
(violet-green-red?)

I'm seeing red-green-orange!

Ken Weitzel

NSM wrote:

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Perhaps the colours in the picture don't come out quite
right.... but if they do looks like 7500 ohms to me
(violet-green-red?)

I'm seeing red-green-orange!

Hi...

Oops. Not on my monitor

Even looked again - same thing

I guess that kinda means maybe we oughtn't depend on
digital pictures for this kinda stuff, eh?

Ken

Mark wrote:
http://home.comcast.net/~mig317/temp..._unmounted.jpg

Sure looks like 15k to me: brown-green-orange-gold...

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.

Mark

Wow! You guys are quick to reply!

Maarten could be correct. I have been reading it as red/green/orange but my
red is quite dull/muddy and could be brown. Fwiw, I do much video editing
therefore calibrate my monitors often. On my end the colors display as true
as the part in front of me. Ken is right though as I understand the problems
with monitor calibration of the masses...no two are exactly the same and a
question like this could be quite confusing. ;-)

Now that I'm not even sure of my ohms value (lol) which I thought I was,
anyone have an opinion on the possible origin of the encrustation? Errant
adhesive put through heat cycles...or leakage? Plus, does the body color
gray give me any additional information about the resistor? Watts, material,
type, etc?

Thanks again guys for the very swift responses!

NSM wrote:

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Perhaps the colours in the picture don't come out quite
right.... but if they do looks like 7500 ohms to me
(violet-green-red?)

I'm seeing red-green-orange!

Hi...

Oops. Not on my monitor

Even looked again - same thing

I guess that kinda means maybe we oughtn't depend on
digital pictures for this kinda stuff, eh?

Ken

NSM

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

I'm seeing red-green-orange!

Oops. Not on my monitor

Even looked again - same thing

I guess that kinda means maybe we oughtn't depend on
digital pictures for this kinda stuff, eh?

Even the resistors themselves are getting harder to ID. Why they would make
the body red I will never know.

Jamie

Mark wrote:
[...]

brown/green/org gold

15k 5%

John J.Turley

Mark wrote:
[...]

Looks like Brown-Green, but the third is tough. If RED (hundreds) if
Orange (Thousands) so 1.5K or 15K Gold=5%
John J.Turley

http://www.aikenamps.com/ResistorColorCode.htm

Mark wrote:
Now that I'm not even sure of my ohms value (lol) which I thought I was,
anyone have an opinion on the possible origin of the encrustation? Errant
adhesive put through heat cycles...or leakage? Plus, does the body color
gray give me any additional information about the resistor? Watts, material,
type, etc?

Almost certainly the brown stuff is glue. I guess the resistor is of a
wirewound, non-flammable type, at least 1W.

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.
Pierre

I agree: with +-5% Tolerance, it can't be 25 K nor 75 K
Nprmalized values within the E12 series a
1 1.2 1.5 1.8 2.2 2.7 3.3 3.9 4.7 5.6 6.8 8.2

a écrit dans le message news:
Mark wrote:
http://home.comcast.net/~mig317/temp..._unmounted.jpg

Sure looks like 15k to me: brown-green-orange-gold...

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.

Mark

Thanks Maarten. That is the info I was looking for.

Assuming Br/Gr/Or the ohms test is spot on at 15.3k meaning that there
really is no need for replacement now. Much appreciate your informative
replies. ;-)

Cheers!

wrote in message
Mark wrote:
Now that I'm not even sure of my ohms value (lol) which I thought I was,
anyone have an opinion on the possible origin of the encrustation?

Errant
adhesive put through heat cycles...or leakage? Plus, does the body color
gray give me any additional information about the resistor? Watts,

material,
type, etc?

Almost certainly the brown stuff is glue. I guess the resistor is of a
wirewound, non-flammable type, at least 1W.

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.

Mark

Appreciate the reply and link John. Pretty positive on the orange and now
going to go with the groups advice and agree with Br/Gr.

I Thank you and everybody else that replied to my query. :-)))

Cheers!

"John J.Turley" wrote in message
Looks like Brown-Green, but the third is tough. If RED (hundreds) if
Orange (Thousands) so 1.5K or 15K Gold=5%

Ross Herbert wrote:
Looks more like a 1 or 2W metal oxide power resistor to me. Certainly
not wire wound.

You are probably right, it is much too small to fit 15k worth of wire
on...

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.