John J.Turley

Mark wrote:

I have just opened an Enermax PC power supply that has very reduced power
output (2v on 5v & 12v connectors). Upon visual inspection I see
encrustation on one resistor which has dripped down onto a capacitor(?).
This I am assuming is only adhesive that was dropped on it and subsequently
burned during operation but am not positive as the very small puddle at the
bottom is reminiscent of what I have seen from leaking capacitors.

Anyhow, just for the heck of it I removed the resistor for inspection and
notice a value of 15.62kohm. If I am correct in reading my bands it should
be a 25kohm +/-5%. If so this leaves me skeptical and wanting to replace it
even though I do not at all believe it is the cause of my PSU failure. What
I'm not sure of is the exact value of the resistor? Pretty positive that I'm
correct in reading it as a 25kohm unit but what wattage is it? Sure looks
like no resistor that my local Radio Shack stocks which are mainly 1/4 & 1/2
watt units.

Here are links to pictures of the resistor in question:
http://home.comcast.net/~mig317/temp...or_mounted.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~mig317/temp..._unmounted.jpg

Any info or advice regarding this resistor would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Kj

http://www.aikenamps.com/ResistorColorCode.htm