huneebee23

Default Sony DvD repair

My DvD player (model DvP-NS300) will not read the disc. It seems the
thing that turns the disc isn't gripping. Maybe I am wrong, but I
hope someone has a remedy.

riki

The black crowes might no the answer
"huneebee23" wrote in message
news:de40c$42703619$455da0d2$1574@allthenewsgroups .com...
My DvD player (model DvP-NS300) will not read the disc. It seems the
thing that turns the disc isn't gripping. Maybe I am wrong, but I
hope someone has a remedy.

JANA

Your question is very vague for a proper answer.

You would have to post the readings of things like if the power supply has
been properly checked, such as the voltage outputs, and also a description
of the checks that have been done to the transport, and especially the laser
assembly. \

If you feel it is worth the cost, take the unit in to a shop that services
CD players. Let them do an estimate for you. You can then make an
intelligent decision if the unit is worth to service or not.

--

JANA
_____

"huneebee23" wrote in message
news:de40c$42703619$455da0d2$1574@allthenewsgroups .com...
My DvD player (model DvP-NS300) will not read the disc. It seems the
thing that turns the disc isn't gripping. Maybe I am wrong, but I
hope someone has a remedy.

spudnuty

Don't know this particular player but I recently fixed a Sony DVP-NC600
with this same problem. When I opened it up I found that the board that
was directly connected to the transport mechanicals had two bad "fish
caps" on it. (used Dave's ESR meter! search this forum for more info on
fish caps) I replaced them, got the parts from Mouser, and the player
has been working great for 7 months now.
Richard

spudnuty

Hmm now that I read your post more carefully have you checked that the
spindle is firmly attached to the drive motor?
Richard

Sound Man

Hi folks,

I'm having similar problems with my Sony DVD DVP-NC600. Sometimes when
I give the disc a spin the motor will engage and it will read the
disc.

So the motor does work. Maybe it just not catching the disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mark D. Zacharias

Sound Man wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm having similar problems with my Sony DVD DVP-NC600. Sometimes when
I give the disc a spin the motor will engage and it will read the
disc.

So the motor does work. Maybe it just not catching the disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Actually, it is the motor. You've just nudged it past the bad spot where the
brushes contact the commutator. The motor is not sold separately, but part
of the pickup assembly. Mine did the same thing. Also, I'm an authorized
Sony servcer, so I have a bit of experiemce with these.

Mark Z.

Sound Man

Ahh. And how do I get the pickup assembly? Do you think I can order it
online somewhere or do I need a service dealer to order it?

Sound Man

I found it at www.electronix.com part number KHM240AAA. $26 +
shipping. It beats buying a new one.

Thanks for you help!

Mark D. Zacharias

Sound Man wrote:
I found it at www.electronix.com part number KHM240AAA. $26 +
shipping. It beats buying a new one.

Thanks for you help!

There will be a "solder short" on the new one which must be cleared before
the new one will function.
Additionally, there is a simple setup procedure for the Sony which is run
using the onscreen menus, etc. Post back when you get it running and we'll
walk you through it.
There has been an issue with used, defective pickups being sold by some
vendors. Beware.

Mark Z.

Ewan D. Milne

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Sound Man wrote:
I found it at www.electronix.com part number KHM240AAA. $26 +
shipping. It beats buying a new one.

Thanks for you help!

There will be a "solder short" on the new one which must be cleared before
the new one will function.
Additionally, there is a simple setup procedure for the Sony which is run
using the onscreen menus, etc. Post back when you get it running and we'll
walk you through it.
There has been an issue with used, defective pickups being sold by some
vendors. Beware.

Mark Z.

I recently purchased one of these from www.electronix.com and after I
installed it, the DVD player would not come out of standby mode -- the
power LED would change from green to red for a second, then go back to
red.
There was never any video output. I put the old pickup back in and
that
problem went away. Can you describe where the "solder short" is that
has to be cleared?

Interestingly enough, the DVD player worked for a couple of days after
I put the old pickup back in, and then it stopped working again. It
seems
like the problem that causes the NO DISC error is that the disk doesn't
start spinning.

-Ewan

Mark D. Zacharias

Ewan D. Milne wrote:
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Sound Man wrote:
[...]

The solder bridge on this pickup, I believe, is visible on the right side of
the complete pickup subchassis as viewed from the front of the unit while
the pickup subchassis is installed. That way all the plugs etc are installed
before the solder is cleared.

On the other pickup from Electronix, sounds like mabye the slider motor was
jammed up.

It's not too uncommon for dvd pickups to be intermittent like your old one
was.

Mark Z.

Ewan D. Milne

Thanks very much for replying -- I can see what appears to be two pairs
of
semicircular pads facing each other -- one pair on top of the board and
one
pair on the bottom of the board (right on top of each other, as it
were).
It doesn't look like there is a solder bridge on either of them,
though.
The pads are right next to the wider of the two ribbon cable
connectors.

I found that the DVD player (a DVP-NS300) would power up if the
narrower
ribbon cable was disconnected. It wouldn't work, but it would get out
of
standby.

-Ewan

Mark D. Zacharias

Ewan D. Milne wrote:
Thanks very much for replying -- I can see what appears to be two
pairs of
semicircular pads facing each other -- one pair on top of the board
and one
pair on the bottom of the board (right on top of each other, as it
were).
It doesn't look like there is a solder bridge on either of them,
though.
The pads are right next to the wider of the two ribbon cable
connectors.

I found that the DVD player (a DVP-NS300) would power up if the
narrower
ribbon cable was disconnected. It wouldn't work, but it would get out
of
standby.

-Ewan

I did think we were talking about a DVP-NC600, but the pickup is the same as
I recall. The solder blob would be near where one of the cables plugs in at
the side. The solder pads on the pickup itself are not used. Been fooled by
this one before.

mz

Sound Man

Hi folks,

I've got two strikes on electronix so far. The first unit they shipped
had a bad laser. I plugged in the old unit and the laser worked. The
next unit had a missing mount. The broken piece was nowhere to be
found. Real cheap shipping, no bubble wrap or peanuts. I put in for
another replacement and requsted better S & H. I should get it in
a few days.

Thanks for sticking with me!

Mark D. Zacharias

Sound Man wrote:
Hi folks,

I've got two strikes on electronix so far. The first unit they shipped
had a bad laser. I plugged in the old unit and the laser worked. The
next unit had a missing mount. The broken piece was nowhere to be
found. Real cheap shipping, no bubble wrap or peanuts. I put in for
another replacement and requsted better S & H. I should get it in
a few days.

Thanks for sticking with me!

No problem - you can e-mail me direct.

and substitute "sbcglobal"