Carey Wendell

Default Sony TR5 camcorder repair and general Capacitor Qs

Sony CCD-TR5 Question:

I've got a Sony CCD-TR5 that needs a replacement gear. It's cracked and
"jumps" when recording, playing or fast forwarding for the rear tape drive
(Rec, Play or FF take up spool). Anyone that could provide a few pages
from the repair manual and/or who could walk me through the removal and
replacement? I've got the front of the camcorder off, metal shield, etc.
to expose the gear which is how I diagnosed the problem. Also, where to
purchase a new gear? The gear is the rearmost with very small teeth and
is approx 2 CM in diameter. There is a smaller gear in front with much
larger teeth - this one appears to be fine.

General Capacitor Question:

I've read many articles about how the TR5 (and other Sony camcorders) have
a problem with capacitors that leak over time and either fail or possibly
even destroy the circuit boards. Is this a problem with all electronics,
just the Sony's, etc? I wasn't familiar with this issue prior to
researching to fix my broken TR5. Also, I'm pretty competent (although
not trained and not an engineer) with basic electronics but haven't done
much with surface mount caps and resistors as I don't understand how to
identify the values. I presume that these failing caps in my TR5 are
probably SM, correct? Any advice on how I could get educated on the
subject of identifying and working with surface mount components?

Many thanks in advance - please post here or email me at
(i.e., @yahoo.com)

Carey
Carey Wendell

Update:

I got the gear off, it's 22mm in diameter and has maybe 70-80 teeth. So,
mostly interested in getting a replacement as well as the other capacitor
questions.

Thanks!

Carey