Rick

Default Need source for 53" lenticular screen

We have a KPR-53EX20 that needs a new lenticular screen.
According to Sony it's no longer made. Our local repair shops
say they are still made, but they all want $500-$600 for one.
We've replaced the screen ourselves a few years back and
paid ~$300.

If anyone knows of a direct source for these screens, please
respond.

Thanks.

Is a TV that old worth the investment?

Rick

wrote in message oups.com...
Is a TV that old worth the investment?

We think so. The set still has a perfect picture, and in 15
years the only repair it's needed was a resolder on one of
its circuit boards (cost $165).

The set's one drawback is a lack of any protection over
the outer screen.. it's gotten badly scratched twice now.

Dandelion Acres

Could you get one for a different TV, such as Panasonic PT-53WX53, and
modify the screen or the mount to fit? I can't imagine to many factories
making that type of optical plastic. I bought one from them for about $250 I
think. My project required a lenticular, fresnel and protective screens, and
a front frame for about $800. Tie the stuff down when driving.

And while you've got it all apart, how about adding a protective screen?

"Rick" wrote in message
nk.net...
wrote in message
oups.com...
Is a TV that old worth the investment?

We think so. The set still has a perfect picture, and in 15
years the only repair it's needed was a resolder on one of
its circuit boards (cost $165).

The set's one drawback is a lack of any protection over
the outer screen.. it's gotten badly scratched twice now.

Rick

"Dandelion Acres" wrote in message ...
Could you get one for a different TV, such as Panasonic PT-53WX53, and
modify the screen or the mount to fit?

We thought about doing that, but the resolution of the
lenticular lens has to match the radial cut of the fresnel.
From what we've been told the chances of that happening
with another brand of TV are pretty slim.

I can't imagine to many factories
making that type of optical plastic. I bought one from them for about $250 I
think. My project required a lenticular, fresnel and protective screens, and
a front frame for about $800. Tie the stuff down when driving.

Funny, we can't imagine these lenses AREN'T still made.
Sony told us they aren't, but we've been told by three
different repair shops that that's not true.

And while you've got it all apart, how about adding a protective screen?

Good idea, although the outer frame is a friction fit and
doesn't allow for much additional depth in the lenses.
We might be able to add a very thin protective screen.

"Rick" wrote in message
nk.net...
oups.com...

Rick wrote:
Funny, we can't imagine these lenses AREN'T still made.
Sony told us they aren't, but we've been told by three
different repair shops that that's not true.

The repair shops may very well be correct. But I can fully understand
why they wouldn't be manufactured anymore. The average service life of
a rear projection TV manufactured in that era is probably somewhat less
than 15 years, especially without a MAJOR repair. You have either been
VERY fortunate with your set, or it doesn't get an excessive amount of
use. To me, it would make no economic sense for Sony itself (or anyone
else, for that matter), to continue making a specific replacement
screen for a specific model of TV 15 years old when probably 90% of
them are dead and gone. And the vast majority of folks with a 15 year
old set still operational wouldn't think it sensible to sink a SECOND
$300 into ANOTHER screen. But if the TV only sees intermitant use, then
perhaps your approach DOES make sense.

And while you've got it all apart, how about adding a protective

screen?

Good idea, although the outer frame is a friction fit and
doesn't allow for much additional depth in the lenses.
We might be able to add a very thin protective screen.

I'm not sure I understand the need to add a protective screen while the
TV is apart. My 5 year old Toshiba 61" has an aftermarket protective
screen that I added which is held on from the front of the frame with
velcro. It's about 3/16" thick, and cost me about $100, if I recall
correctly. I'm sure you could make one yourself for about 20 or 30
bucks.

Jeff

dfluitt

Hi Rick,
Someone just offered to give me a SONY KPR-53EX20 with a bad red tube.
I was looking for parts for it when I cam across your post. I was just
going to take it apart and use the lenses and such as "art supplies."
Let me know if you are interested in the lenticular screen from it.
Please email me diectly about this.
Talk to you later.
Don

We have a KPR-53EX20 that needs a new lenticular screen.
According to Sony it's no longer made. Our local repair shops
say they are still made, but they all want $500-$600 for one.
We've replaced the screen ourselves a few years back and
paid ~$300.

If anyone knows of a direct source for these screens, please
respond.

Thanks.

Leonard Caillouet

Get the part numbers off of the major boards and check with PTS. They often
buy boards to rebuild. They change the ones that they are buying several
times a years and pay anywhere from $10 to $40 each for the ones that they
do buy. You could buy few art supplies if you get lucky. Also, post the
green and blue tubes for sale here and on some of the other repair forums
and you might get lucky and find someone who needs one.

Leonard

ups.com...