Ray

Default Photo lighting equipment repair.

Hi:
I am trying to troubleshoot a studio strobe (monolight) and need either some
experienced help or a circuir diagram. The unit is an Elinchrom 500, built
in 2001. If anyome can help, please let me know, I'll give details of the
problem.
TIA,
Ray

James Sweet

"Ray" wrote in message
Hi:
I am trying to troubleshoot a studio strobe (monolight) and need either

some
experienced help or a circuir diagram. The unit is an Elinchrom 500, built
in 2001. If anyome can help, please let me know, I'll give details of the
problem.
TIA,
Ray

If you give details of the problem someone may be able to help you,
otherwise it's just guessing.

NSM

"Ray" wrote in message
Hi:
I am trying to troubleshoot a studio strobe (monolight) and need either

some
experienced help or a circuir diagram. The unit is an Elinchrom 500, built
in 2001. If anyome can help, please let me know, I'll give details of the
problem.

If that's a flash unit, are you experienced with such voltages? I don't want
to encourage anyone to die.

Ray

Yes and yes, for over forty years.

Cheers,
==========================
"NSM" wrote in message news:Wnzae.1094$tg1.886@edtnps84...

"Ray" wrote in message
Hi:
I am trying to troubleshoot a studio strobe (monolight) and need either

some
experienced help or a circuir diagram. The unit is an Elinchrom 500,
built
in 2001. If anyome can help, please let me know, I'll give details of the
problem.

If that's a flash unit, are you experienced with such voltages? I don't
want
to encourage anyone to die.

NSM

"Ray" wrote in message
Yes and yes, for over forty years.

Cheers,

OK, they are pretty much a fool killer. I can only give you general advice,
however. What sort of info are you looking for?

Ray

There is much I need to find out and without a circuit diagram (which has
been almost impossible to find so far), I am pretty much reverse engineering
this thing as I go. First off, there is a small board directly behind the
sync. socket on the Elinchrom 500. The board has a power resistor, a high
voltage MOSFET, an optocoupler and a few other resistors. The power resistor
overheated and burnt the board. I suspect this has happened because the
mosfet (or it's controlling circuit) failed and caused the full load of the
photoflash caps to continually bleed across this resistor. I am going to
make a new board and replace all components on it (7 or 8 in total). I will
be doing some more trouble shooting and will be able to give you more
information soon. Are you familiar with the innards of this monolight? And
finally, can we carry on this dialogue by email so as not to clutter the
bulletin board?

Cheers,
Ray

"NSM" wrote in message news:l4Fae.1182$tg1.128@edtnps84...

"Ray" wrote in message
Yes and yes, for over forty years.

Cheers,

OK, they are pretty much a fool killer. I can only give you general
advice,
however. What sort of info are you looking for?

none

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:38:49 -0400, "Ray" wrote:

Hi:
I am trying to troubleshoot a studio strobe (monolight) and need either some
experienced help or a circuir diagram. The unit is an Elinchrom 500, built
in 2001. If anyome can help, please let me know, I'll give details of the
problem.
TIA,
Ray

It can be difficult if not downright impossible to get some of the
parts for monoblocs or studio strobes. The manufacturers will use
either use special capacitors or custom control chips.
I've never done any work on Elinchrom gear so couldn't tell you if
they'll sell you parts or if they used readily available parts or not.
Most of my studio pacs are either Norman or Novatron, both have sold
me repair parts in the past.
It'd be wise to check annd see if you can cross all the components on
the circuit board before going to far on this repair job, especially
the power caps and the main output Capacitor and any quench coils it
may have.