Juan Villagra

Default ViewSonic E71 with extrange sympthoms...

Hello everybody:
I need help with this E71 Viewsonic monitor. I have several with
similar issues:

- Some dark an unwashed image, looks like normal TRC decay, but i
wish to know if is there any way to recover this. Some video circut
intervention or so.
- In some units ther is a "ghost image", like in a bad-tuned TV, but
more soft and stable. It manifest as some vertical white shadow lines
in the left side, and some "reflex" images at the right side of the
windows. Both are "echos" of the boundaries of the images (borders of
display and window frame respectively). I must say that it occurs
after a replacement of the Horizontal Output Transistor, after the old
one blows.
- Ocasionally, it quickly switchs the width, becoming narrow, and
then it comes back to normal, it isn't critical, but is some annoying.

This monitors, if repaired and adjusted, are for use with CAD/CAM
softs, (Autocad, ArchiCad, etc...), so i need to put them as good as i
can.

Thanks for any help.

JCVH
ERdM
Jerry G.

Considering the age of the monitor, there are most likely worn
capacitors in the power supply and scan amplifier sections just to
start with. Worn decoupler caps can also cause other types of component
failures.

The caps can be tested with an ESR meter, and a cap meter to start
with. For the cap meter test, they must be removed.

These monitors after about 3 to 4 years of use, generaly require a lot
of time, and investment to make them work properly. With age, the CRT
emission also goes down. This can cause some smearing, poor colour
tracking, lack of sharp beam focus, and less contrast.

I would seriously consider investing in to new monitors rather than
chasing old ones. After servicing an older monitor, there is always the
chance that other parts will fail from age. This is the norm.

Jerry G.
========

Juan Villagra wrote:
[...]

Asimov

"Jerry G." bravely wrote to "All" (19 Apr 05 18:41:38)
--- on the heady topic of " ViewSonic E71 with extrange sympthoms..."

JG From: "Jerry G."
JG Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:46066

JG Considering the age of the monitor, there are most likely worn
JG capacitors in the power supply and scan amplifier sections just to
JG start with. Worn decoupler caps can also cause other types of
JG component failures.

JG The caps can be tested with an ESR meter, and a cap meter to start
JG with. For the cap meter test, they must be removed.

Jerry, I'm not too sure that "wear" is a documented failure mechanism
for electrolytic capacitors. Unless of course they are used as wheels
by a skateboard pro... ;-)

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... I worked hard to attach the electrodes to it.

sofie

Wear = time in use

Jerry was right.... just different wording.
Manufacturers us the same wording when they specify MTBF (mean time between
failures)
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Asimov" wrote in message
"Jerry G." bravely wrote to "All" (19 Apr 05 18:41:38)
--- on the heady topic of " ViewSonic E71 with extrange sympthoms..."

JG From: "Jerry G."
JG Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:46066

JG Considering the age of the monitor, there are most likely worn
JG capacitors in the power supply and scan amplifier sections just to
JG start with. Worn decoupler caps can also cause other types of
JG component failures.

JG The caps can be tested with an ESR meter, and a cap meter to start
JG with. For the cap meter test, they must be removed.

Jerry, I'm not too sure that "wear" is a documented failure mechanism
for electrolytic capacitors. Unless of course they are used as wheels
by a skateboard pro... ;-)

A*s*i*m*o*v

... I worked hard to attach the electrodes to it.

Jerry G.

With the stresses that electronic components have during their life
span, they slowly will deteriate with use, and over time. This gets in
to MTBF factors (Mean Time Between Failure) factors. There are many
factors that will contribute to the MTBF factor of any type of part
that is electronic, or mechanical.

In the case of capacitors, under normal use in warm environments, or
where they are under strong electrical stress, they will slowly go off
value with time. Sometimes they can also become resistive, and thus
take on characteristics of being shorted, or they can simply degrade in
their reactance.

If electronic components do not wear down or deteriate with use and
time, then you should explain to me, why over time, they go out of
specifications to the point where they are not able to work properly,
or fail completely, and must be replaced.

If electronic components did not deteriate, or fail over time and use,
this group, and the complete service industry would never have
existed!!!

Jerry G.
=====
..

Asimov

"Jerry G." bravely wrote to "All" (22 Apr 05 17:31:08)
--- on the heady topic of " ViewSonic E71 with extrange sympthoms..."

It isn't my intention to spark a debate about MTBF but one must
remember that this specification is derived from an accelerated
environmental simulation and is not therefore a real world value but
only an estimate. My point being that electrolytic capacitors are
basically self-healing and reform themselves when in use. Thus it is
expected they should hopefully last longer than the MTBF figure and
typically they do.

However in general, it can be argued that problems come about when
parts are used at their extreme limits. For instance using a 500mW
transistor to dissipate 500mW, and then placing an electrolytic
capacitor glued up against it, as we often see, is asking for trouble.
Please explain, why some idiot with a degree decides to place an
electrolytic capacitor inside the U shaped space formed by the
heatsink on a vertical output driver? This type of raging lunacy
abounds in the design of consumer equipment and too much to list!

You will no doubt agree that any device which is run at its limit
ratings will deteriorate more quickly. Conservative derating of
manufacturer specifications will result in equipment that will work
practically forever. Clearly this is counter-intuitive in a throw-away
consumer society. And yes, if well made and used conservatively, even
electrolytic capacitors can last virtually forever.

The reason why there ever was a sevice industry is because
manufacturers cut costs by cutting corners, designers make mistakes or
overlook unforseen conditions, and the equipment is not resistant
enough to user abuse. There was a time when tubes wore out and
required regular replacement but about the only tube left is the CRT
and these aren't replaced very much any more. About all that should
wear out are mechanical assemblies.

How many googleplex of cycles can one expect a digital transistor
switch to toggle before failing using a conservative under-rating?
I own equipment which still has the same ratings today it settled at
shortly after being made. The age has not hurt it a bit but I also
acquired garbage made in the past few years that is now in the dump.

JG From: "Jerry G."
JG Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:46272

JG With the stresses that electronic components have during their life
JG span, they slowly will deteriate with use, and over time. This gets in
JG to MTBF factors (Mean Time Between Failure) factors. There are many
JG factors that will contribute to the MTBF factor of any type of part
JG that is electronic, or mechanical.

JG In the case of capacitors, under normal use in warm environments, or
JG where they are under strong electrical stress, they will slowly go off
JG value with time. Sometimes they can also become resistive, and thus
JG take on characteristics of being shorted, or they can simply degrade
JG in their reactance.

JG If electronic components do not wear down or deteriate with use and
JG time, then you should explain to me, why over time, they go out of
JG specifications to the point where they are not able to work properly,
JG or fail completely, and must be replaced.

JG If electronic components did not deteriate, or fail over time and use,
JG this group, and the complete service industry would never have
JG existed!!!

.... Transformer designers take turns doing it.

Jerry G.

You are right about the estimation of MTBF. Especialy for consumer
equipment, it is only an accelerated estimate, and is not always
accurate.

But, from being in the service business for many years, I can tell you
that the greatest failure, and cause of other components failing, are
the electroytic capacitors. We are changing many of these, especialy in
consumer products.

Jerry G.
=======