Young Coot

Default Viewsonic G790 - color flicker while warming up - FIXED

Hello again -

thought I'd close this thread with the solution to this particular problem.

Finally had an interval of time when I could take that unit out of service
and take the back cover off for examination. Solder joints didn't seem to
be the problem with this one; just dirt and (to my feel) loose plug-in
connections to the CRT socket board. I re-seated each of the plug-in
connections, including the one for the data cord as well as the socket for
the CRT tube itself, cleaned and firmed up the ground shield contacts, put
it back together, and... no flickers! It now has good consistent color like
I've come to expect from a computer monitor.

This was indeed an easy fix. I see others have written in with similar
issues, and while I cannot promise that theirs will clean up as easily I can
definitely agree that it is not a difficult job.

YC

"kc8adu" wrote in message
it is likely to be a bad solder joint.
take the shield off the crt socket board and have a close look at it.easy
fix.
"Young Coot" wrote in message
Hello -

Glad this group is here.

I acquired a Viewsonic G790 recently, at a thrift store, and found out

why
got it so cheap: while it is warming up, the red will flicker from

normal
very high intensity and anywhere inbetween those two extremes. At its
worst, all greens appear black and all is bathed in shades of red.

Whapping
the left side of the monitor case with an open hand will usually bring

color
balance back. After about an hour of warming up, sometimes an hour and

half, the color is perfectly balanced for the remainder of the session.
Color balance is also perfect when it is cold, for the first ten minutes

of
operation.

My experience tells me that it's probably a bad solder joint somewhere,

but
I'm not popping this cover off until I get some firm idea as to where to
look. I've learned to be cautious of CRT units.

Viewsonic gave me the number of a service center, but it is 850 miles

south
of me in L.A. I'm not partial to shipping a monitor, especially if it
happens to be something simple (like a cold solder joint) that I could

fix
myself.

Anyone have similar experiece with these puppies?

YC