Jerry G.

Considering the age of the monitor, there are most likely worn
capacitors in the power supply and scan amplifier sections just to
start with. Worn decoupler caps can also cause other types of component
failures.

The caps can be tested with an ESR meter, and a cap meter to start
with. For the cap meter test, they must be removed.

These monitors after about 3 to 4 years of use, generaly require a lot
of time, and investment to make them work properly. With age, the CRT
emission also goes down. This can cause some smearing, poor colour
tracking, lack of sharp beam focus, and less contrast.

I would seriously consider investing in to new monitors rather than
chasing old ones. After servicing an older monitor, there is always the
chance that other parts will fail from age. This is the norm.

Jerry G.
========

Juan Villagra wrote:
Hello everybody:
I need help with this E71 Viewsonic monitor. I have several with
similar issues:

- Some dark an unwashed image, looks like normal TRC decay, but i
wish to know if is there any way to recover this. Some video circut
intervention or so.
- In some units ther is a "ghost image", like in a bad-tuned TV, but
more soft and stable. It manifest as some vertical white shadow lines
in the left side, and some "reflex" images at the right side of the
windows. Both are "echos" of the boundaries of the images (borders of
display and window frame respectively). I must say that it occurs
after a replacement of the Horizontal Output Transistor, after the

old
one blows.
- Ocasionally, it quickly switchs the width, becoming narrow, and
then it comes back to normal, it isn't critical, but is some

annoying.

This monitors, if repaired and adjusted, are for use with CAD/CAM
softs, (Autocad, ArchiCad, etc...), so i need to put them as good as

can.

Thanks for any help.

JCVH
ERdM