Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default More Media Lies

"flipper" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 19:56:01 -0800, RosemontCrest
wrote:

On 12/15/2012 7:48 PM, flipper wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 18:47:49 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 17:25:10 -0600, flipper wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 14:51:23 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

snip

What pistol is NOT "semi-automatic", except perhaps a single-barrel
Derringer?

Flintlock pistols, non-rotating multi-barrel pistols, pepperbox
revolvers, harmonica pistols, and cartridge equivalents.

I'm afraid you're just wrong here, Jim. A "pistol" has the chamber
integral with the barrel, which was the 'original' means of making a
handgun, and the 'revolver', where the chambers rotate behind a fixed
barrel, was the departure.

Semi-automatic means the mechanism itself, independent of human
action, cycles the next round and prepares the weapon for the next
shot (cocking) rather than it being done by manual means, such as in a
"single action" revolver where the trigger does 'one (single) thing',
drop the hammer, and manually cocking rotates the cylinder, or a
"double action" revolver where the cock and cylinder actions are
combined into the trigger. The latter takes a longer, using more
force, trigger pull.

A semi-automatic has the light trigger pull of the single action and
the auto loading makes it (allegedly) 'faster' than manual, although
I've seen experts who could fire a double action faster than a
semi-auto, AND on target. (and also speed load as fast as a clip ).

Most people, you included it would seem, probably presume a 'pistol'
is necessarily a semi-automatic (assuming they know a 'pistol' is not
a revolver and vice versa), since that's what it most likely would be
these days, but "semi-automatic pistol" is the correct term. (fully
automatic would be a "machine pistol").

On top of that, your link is a poor example of the 'hysteria' claim
because I couldn't find anything but "handgun" (and unspecified
'rifle') mentioned in it.

'Media hype' is more generally the hysterical use of semi-automatic
"assault rifle," as if 'military looking' has any consequence. The
definition of "assault rifle" requires select fire so any
semi-automatic, regardless of what it looks like, it NOT an "assault
rifle." (the 1994 ban got around this 'problem' by coining the new
term "assault weapon" as a semi-automatic with 'scary' features like a
folding stock and pistol grip. A bayonet mount was another 'scary
feature' and you see how many 'mass gorings' there've been from them.)

Almost all of these nut case crimes happened because "medical
privacy"
rules prevent disclosure that would have prevented qualification to
buy a weapon.

And look at the Fort Hood case... Hasan was outwardly hostile against
"infidels", but the record was suppressed because of FEAR of
infringing the civil rights of some Islamic nutcase. Now the trial
is delayed while he appeals to keep his beard. Shoot the @#$%^& and
get it over with.

...Jim Thompson

"Flipper" (a pseudonym for pansy, wimp and/or fairy) didn't address
anything but a dictionary definition that no one knows or cares about.

In other words, Jim was wrong so he attacks the messenger for speaking
truth.

Yeah, it seems that he doesn't like being proven wrong. Oh well, it's
not like he contributes much of anything relevant to these newsgroups
anymore. Most of what he posts lately is off-topic blather.

Previously he complained about a 'BATF definition' and now he
complains about a 'dictionary definition'. I think I see the problem.
Apparently the only definition that matters is the 'Jim definition'
but I'd wager he neglected to inform the newspapers of it.

And you guys wonder why I have a problem with the nut job; JT!

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

"Michael Black" wrote in message
xample.org...
On Sat, 15 Dec 2012, Jim Thompson wrote:

More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

Keep your trash out of the newsgroups.

Once upon a time, there was sci.electronics, full of electronic related
posts, though sometimes a bit too much traffic. So they were split into
multiple newsgroups. Then sometime later some idiot decided that
sci.electronics.design was a hangout, not so much about electronic design
but about talking about whatever to whoever was there. And after a while,
that destroyed the newsgroup, even if the illusion is that there's a lot
of traffic there and it's healthy.

And then in recent times you've compounded your initial problem by
constantly cross-posting to other newsgroups. It's bad enough that you
feel it's acceptable to post junk unrelated to electronics, but you think
the rest of us want to see the junk posts? I don't look at
sci.electronics.design because of the way you trashed it with your
off-topic posts, don't come into .basics and inflict it on us here (or in
the other newsgroups that you've cross-posted to).

If nothing else, your trash means other people think it's acceptable to
act the same way, so now we're getting other people's junk to.

Keep your junk in sci.electronics.design.

ANd in the future, before you post, think very hard about whether you have
to cross-post anything, like your continuous junk posts about needed
computer parts or whatever. At least when you kept them in
sci.electronics.design we didn't have to see them elsewhere.

Michael

JT is evil - but someday he'll die.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

"RosemontCrest" wrote in message
On 12/15/2012 11:56 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson

Educate yourself. A pistol is a semi-automatic handgun, not to be confused
with a revolver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx_WMcg_GtI

This isn't exactly the Youtube clip I was looking for - that was a
demonstration of a 9mm pistol someone had home-modified for full automatic
fire.

The clip I found looks like at least one pistol that was actually
manufactured for fully automatic.

There doesn't seem to be much application for a pistol that can empty the
clip in less than a couple of seconds - other than spraying a classroom full
of closely spaced schoolkids.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

In article , To-Email-Use-
says...

More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson

By definition a pistol is a semi-auto weapon. The automatic involves the
chambering of the round. It's completely automatic in a pistol. Now
repeat capability is what's lacking.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 17:53:09 -0500, T
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 13:47:39 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:
How's the crime rate in London?
Or Liverpool? Or Manchester?

Killed by Guns Last Year:

UK approx 35

USA approx 9500

The UK has it's problems but I know where I'd rather be! What sort of
democracy needs it's citizens to own guns. Afghanistan, Iraq?

I know it's not that bad as the vast majority of Americans are sensible
and like the rest of the sane world do not own guns. The few that do kill
thousands each year.

Actually murder rates in the U.S. are fewer than 9,500 last year.

Just go google FBI UCR Stats by state.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...tables/table-4

Sounds like about 14K to me. Other sources estimate 12K to 16K. That's
about 1 in 20,000. For well-bahaved folks in a quiet town, the chance
of being murdered is low, maybe a few PPM, well below the risk of
dying in a car crash.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Ian Field wrote:

And you guys wonder why I have a problem with the nut job; JT!

Not all all. We all know that you keep your head up your ass while
you play Ostrich.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Ian Field wrote:

And you guys wonder why I have a problem with the nut job; JT!

Not all all. We all know that you keep your head up your ass while
you play Ostrich.

A reasonable enough strategy when the problem is 3000 miles away.

Lies. harry UK diy 4 August 21st 11 10:02 PM
More Palin Lies Wes[_2_] Metalworking 0 November 26th 09 05:36 PM
And more media lies exposed... Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 5 September 8th 09 10:21 PM
And more media lies exposed... Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 0 August 28th 09 05:01 PM