Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default More Media Lies

"flipper" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 19:56:01 -0800, RosemontCrest
wrote:

On 12/15/2012 7:48 PM, flipper wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 18:47:49 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 17:25:10 -0600, flipper wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 14:51:23 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

snip

What pistol is NOT "semi-automatic", except perhaps a single-barrel
Derringer?

Flintlock pistols, non-rotating multi-barrel pistols, pepperbox
revolvers, harmonica pistols, and cartridge equivalents.

I'm afraid you're just wrong here, Jim. A "pistol" has the chamber
integral with the barrel, which was the 'original' means of making a
handgun, and the 'revolver', where the chambers rotate behind a fixed
barrel, was the departure.

Semi-automatic means the mechanism itself, independent of human
action, cycles the next round and prepares the weapon for the next
shot (cocking) rather than it being done by manual means, such as in a
"single action" revolver where the trigger does 'one (single) thing',
drop the hammer, and manually cocking rotates the cylinder, or a
"double action" revolver where the cock and cylinder actions are
combined into the trigger. The latter takes a longer, using more
force, trigger pull.

A semi-automatic has the light trigger pull of the single action and
the auto loading makes it (allegedly) 'faster' than manual, although
I've seen experts who could fire a double action faster than a
semi-auto, AND on target. (and also speed load as fast as a clip ).

Most people, you included it would seem, probably presume a 'pistol'
is necessarily a semi-automatic (assuming they know a 'pistol' is not
a revolver and vice versa), since that's what it most likely would be
these days, but "semi-automatic pistol" is the correct term. (fully
automatic would be a "machine pistol").

On top of that, your link is a poor example of the 'hysteria' claim
because I couldn't find anything but "handgun" (and unspecified
'rifle') mentioned in it.

'Media hype' is more generally the hysterical use of semi-automatic
"assault rifle," as if 'military looking' has any consequence. The
definition of "assault rifle" requires select fire so any
semi-automatic, regardless of what it looks like, it NOT an "assault
rifle." (the 1994 ban got around this 'problem' by coining the new
term "assault weapon" as a semi-automatic with 'scary' features like a
folding stock and pistol grip. A bayonet mount was another 'scary
feature' and you see how many 'mass gorings' there've been from them.)

Almost all of these nut case crimes happened because "medical
privacy"
rules prevent disclosure that would have prevented qualification to
buy a weapon.

And look at the Fort Hood case... Hasan was outwardly hostile against
"infidels", but the record was suppressed because of FEAR of
infringing the civil rights of some Islamic nutcase. Now the trial
is delayed while he appeals to keep his beard. Shoot the @#$%^& and
get it over with.

...Jim Thompson

"Flipper" (a pseudonym for pansy, wimp and/or fairy) didn't address
anything but a dictionary definition that no one knows or cares about.

In other words, Jim was wrong so he attacks the messenger for speaking
truth.

Yeah, it seems that he doesn't like being proven wrong. Oh well, it's
not like he contributes much of anything relevant to these newsgroups
anymore. Most of what he posts lately is off-topic blather.

Previously he complained about a 'BATF definition' and now he
complains about a 'dictionary definition'. I think I see the problem.
Apparently the only definition that matters is the 'Jim definition'
but I'd wager he neglected to inform the newspapers of it.

And you guys wonder why I have a problem with the nut job; JT!