Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

Default AC Cap Dropper DC Power Supply

On 11/30/2012 8:25 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:19:31 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 21:01:39 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?legg wrote:
??
?? Who's on first.
?
??http://archive.org/download/otr_abbo..._On_First.mp3?

One of my all time favorites!

My NOT favorite: "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein"... not the
movie to see when you're a little kid and have to walk back thru the
woods, next to the State Asylum, at night.

I kid you not :-(

Then you don't want click this link.

http://archive.org/download/otr_abbottandcostello/440113_VisitToASanitarium.mp3

I can cope now, but fathom the situation when you're maybe 8 years
old.

(Back in the never-to-return past when it was safe to let your kids
walk thru the woods to the theater... now there are Democrats out
there :-)

Yes, God must really hate republicans.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:16:10 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

I can cope now, but fathom the situation when you're maybe 8 years
old.

You can download the movie from several sites for free. It's likely
to be found on Youtube, as well.

Yes, it really bothers some people, but some just laughed at those
movies. No big deal on who was who. Very few ever bothered me, and that
movie came out before I was born. I think I saw it on the local TV
station when I was a teenager. It ran with movies like 'The Claw!!!'
;-)

OTOH, I cultivated the belief in kids at a local school that I was a
dangers & crazy man. They vandalized a lot of houses & stole from my
neighbors but you couldn't get a one of them to walk through my yard for
anything. If i stood on my front porch when school let out, the kids
would walk n extra four blocks, instead of past my house.

(Back in the never-to-return past when it was safe to let your kids
walk thru the woods to the theater... now there are Democrats out
there :-)

Most are toothless & in straight jackets. The worst most can do is to
drool on some poor kid! ;-)

I always liked "The Thing" :-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 21:01:39 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?legg wrote:
??
?? Who's on first.
?
??http://archive.org/download/otr_abbo..._On_First.mp3?

One of my all time favorites!

My NOT favorite: "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein"... not the
movie to see when you're a little kid and have to walk back thru the
woods, next to the State Asylum, at night.

I kid you not :-(

Then you don't want click this link.

http://archive.org/download/otr_abbottandcostello/440113_VisitToASanitarium.mp3

I can cope now, but fathom the situation when you're maybe 8 years
old.

(Back in the never-to-return past when it was safe to let your kids
walk thru the woods to the theater... now there are Democrats out
there :-)

Yes, God must really hate republicans.

And the Democrats have reading comprehension problems :-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:55:46 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 18:51:20 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:32:10 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:42:57 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:09:30 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:17:10 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:17:17 -0800, John Larkin
m wrote:

I suspect that JT never got a c-dropper circuit that works. His first
two tries were duds.

He's not very good once he gets off-chip.

---
Methinks if push came to shove he'd make inroads into your world which
you couldn't possibly make into his.

Well, I don't design chips. But, from what I've seen of his off-chip
design, I'm not very worried.

---
I don't think he's interested in your turf, but, since you don't know
how to design chips and he knows how to design circuits, that puts you
at a loss.
---

But that's really neither here nor there, since what's being discussed
is, ostensibly, your gobbledygook and your niggardly refusal to take
responsibility for your errors while trying to get off the hook by
damning others' as being worse than yours.

What you call "errors" are mostly philosophical word play.

---
Hardly.

I've called you to task, defined the parameters to which you refuse to
respond, and asked you to explain the inconsistencies in your
rhetoric, and yet you respond with silly dodges like:

---
I design electronics.
---

You don't, really.

All you do is take what's readily available and assemble it into
packages which you sell.

I went back to the depletion mode FET approach. The cap dropper
scheme works only with +/- AC swings, not with schemes that are
rectified/one-sided/no-pull-down.

I pointed that out early in the game.

I do have cap dropper designs in almost all "American made" clothes
washing machines ;-)

The depletion mode FET, and nice swap-over when bootstrap comes up, is
working perfectly and is in MASS production in China.

I posted this result ages ago... like ~6 weeks back. Why is Larkin
still whining about it? Avoiding put up or shut up ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

---
Indeed, but he'll always avoid either by not posting salient data
proving his position viable, or by muddying the waters.

He's made claims of designing cap-dropping power supplies, yet we see
nothing beyond his claims.

I recall JT posting a depletion-fet circuit, then a triac thing, both
of which had problems. Was a third circuit posted?

---
Not as far as I can tell but, it's not about JT, it's about you and
your need to defame the character of your detractors.

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

All the first variations had a cap-dropper in them, which doesn't work
without a discharge path. TRIAC works super on an AC-input cap
dropper... really low dissipation. Depletion mode FET works on "DC"
quite nicely, and is in production... shipping just a fast as they can
knock them out.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

m wrote:

[...]

About ten years ago I had a client who wanted to run a string of white
LEDs off 120V mains, and I sold him a few of these:

+----+
120HOT--[FUSE]--[C]--|~ +|--[R]--+------+
| | |K |A
| | [ZTVS] [LEDS]
| | | |
120NEUT--------------|~ -|-------+------+
+----+

He was so pleased with the result that he came back later and asked me
to show him how to work out the details for different LED loads.

I did, and was paid handsomely.

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

No, it's more fun to defame their circuits.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation