Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Remote Ringer for Telephone

Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Remember: Once you get over the hill, you pick up speed
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Am 25.01.2011 22:13, schrieb Jim Thompson:
Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson

You can hook up to 3 or more phones in parallel on the line. (so there´s
enough power)
Using the capacitor+ringer from an old phone would be enough.
You have up to 60vpp on the line during ringing.
Imporant is that you shouldn´t build a DC path in parallel.
You can use (AC ring+capacitor in series) in parallel or capacitor +
rectifier + DC ringer.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:37:50 +0100, "Wolfgang F. Gaerber"
wrote:

Am 25.01.2011 22:13, schrieb Jim Thompson:
Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson

You can hook up to 3 or more phones in parallel on the line. (so there´s
enough power)
Using the capacitor+ringer from an old phone would be enough.

What's an old phone ?:-) I can't recall having one die... except for
the wireless types.

You have up to 60vpp on the line during ringing.
Imporant is that you shouldn´t build a DC path in parallel.
You can use (AC ring+capacitor in series) in parallel or capacitor +
rectifier + DC ringer.

Anywhere to just buy the ringer?

Though I guess just buy a cheap Chinese-made phone and gut it ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Anywhere to just buy the ringer?

All of these look roughly the same:

-- http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062696
-- http://www.amazon.com/Ace-Extension-.../dp/B000GARZYI
--
http://www.amazon.com/AT-T-24060-Bel...qid=1295994801

---Joel

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

Buy an old desk telephone from your nearest Goodwill or other charity
shop (they can use the money) and gut it?

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

Yeah - look around for an old Western Electric type that's actually
operated by the ringing voltage. In fact, I've even seen prebuilt
boxes with only a ringer in them.

Lessee what Friend Google has to say:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ne+ringe r%22

Or, how about one of those 5 or 10 buck extension phones?

Or do you specifically want to design something? You could capacitate
the line, and on the other side of the cap, rectify the ringing voltage
and just power any ol' beeper, or whatever circuit you want. Maybe
a half-wave rectifier to each of two _different_ beepers, so it'd make
two distinct tones.

Of course, isolate the box - nobody knows how it mucks up their stuff
if you accidentally ground one of their lines.

Have Fun!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson
--

Searching for 'Telephone alerts', I found this..
http://www.smithgear.com/tec015a.html

Cheers

Remember: Once you get over the hill, you pick up speed

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:13:47 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson

http://www.phonecoinc.com./category....ry=N et&map=1

H.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson

http://www.phonecoinc.com./category....ry=N et&map=1

H.

Even better-

http://www.phonecoinc.com./category.... ry=Ring&map=1

H.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson

http://www.phonecoinc.com./category....ry=N et&map=1

H.

Even better-

http://www.phonecoinc.com./category.... ry=Ring&map=1

H.

Closer and closer! Thanks!

I'm aiming to build a ringer that skips the first ring... hint, hint
;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson

Why don't you just get a corded phone? They're cheaper than the
'remote ringer' thingamabobs and have the added 'feature' you can
answer the call.

http://www.amazon.com/Corded-Trimlin...6019740&sr=8-1

I being slightly evasive :-) I need only the ringer, for devious
purposes :-)

But your catch is certainly the cheapest. Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson

Why don't you just get a corded phone? They're cheaper than the
'remote ringer' thingamabobs and have the added 'feature' you can
answer the call.

http://www.amazon.com/Corded-Trimlin...6019740&sr=8-1

I being slightly evasive :-) I need only the ringer, for devious
purposes :-)

But your catch is certainly the cheapest. Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

You should not spy on your spouse and children....
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson
Why don't you just get a corded phone? They're cheaper than the
'remote ringer' thingamabobs and have the added 'feature' you can
answer the call.

http://www.amazon.com/Corded-Trimlin...6019740&sr=8-1

I being slightly evasive :-) I need only the ringer, for devious
purposes :-)

But your catch is certainly the cheapest. Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

You should not spy on your spouse and children....

Nope, here's my G-job problem:

800 Number reject boxes blank the first ring. Which keeps you from
seeing CID on your phone.

It occurred to me to use an 800 Number reject box simply as a
controller to disconnect the line from the house phones, let it ring
X-1 times, where X = number of rings to roll to voice-mail, then
seize, then hang-up ;-)

Then, to keep that first ring activating CID on the phone, turn off
local ringer (doesn't stop ringing voltage from initializing CID)...
but add ringer that doesn't ring until the second ring (so that I know
phone is ringing :-)

Devious path to success, eh what ?:-)

(Existing reject box designers haven't yet figured out how to insert
CID after second ring. Shouldn't it be easy enough with a micro?? )

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

flipper wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:17:59 -0700, Jim Thompson
Well, you're an engineer, aren't you?

Nah, he's an analog savant.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...

wrote:

[...]

So you only want to dump incoming 800 numbers, but let every thing else
thru.
The CID appears between the first and second rings.
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/telecom/cid_bellcore.html

So you should be able to grab it and determine if the number should be
hung up,
Before the second ring.

Then you need a V.23 1200 baud modem to reinsert the CID after the
second ring.

Sounds like its doable, lotsa time between rings. A PIC would work. You
would need a blocking circuit for when the modem retransmits the CID.
Ma Bell might not be happy with extra CID data on their lines.

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:58:03 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...

[snip]

(Existing reject box designers haven't yet figured out how to insert
CID after second ring. Shouldn't it be easy enough with a micro?? )

So you only want to dump incoming 800 numbers, but let every thing else
thru.
The CID appears between the first and second rings.
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/telecom/cid_bellcore.html

So you should be able to grab it and determine if the number should be
hung up,
Before the second ring.

Then you need a V.23 1200 baud modem to reinsert the CID after the
second ring.

Sounds like its doable, lotsa time between rings. A PIC would work. You
would need a blocking circuit for when the modem retransmits the CID.
Ma Bell might not be happy with extra CID data on their lines.

Cheers

That re-insertion is the tricky part.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:58:03 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...

[snip]

[...]

Not really. Simulate a CO line and insert the CID. If you pick up
the phone, tranfer that phone to the outside line.

Teflon coated.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:58:03 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote
in message ...

[snip]

[...]

EDN design idea, CID generation.
http://www.edn.com/contents/images/120700di.pdf

Micro of course. Bit banged.

The re-insertion would need a 'Hybrid' circuit. There's an old NatSemi
appnote that I used to make a Hybrid for a hand-set to modem box.
It worked even at 28.8kbs. They're also know as Line echo cancellers.
That would block the CID from entering the POTs line. ( it would be
reversed in this case )

I think this was the appnote
http://www.nbtsc.org/~erek/optimumhybdesign.pdf

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message

That re-insertion is the tricky part.

...Jim Thompson

Another option which avoids reinsertion is to turn off the ringers on
all the phones. Feed the output of your 800-dump box to several
remote ringers all over the estate. The phones still get the initial ring
signal and will display the CID.
Art

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:31:08 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
.. .

That re-insertion is the tricky part.

...Jim Thompson

Another option which avoids reinsertion is to turn off the ringers on
all the phones. Feed the output of your 800-dump box to several
remote ringers all over the estate. The phones still get the initial ring
signal and will display the CID.
Art

Good point! I was going to rig remote ringers that skipped the first
ring, but the 800-dump box already has that delay. Now I need to see
if I have enough pairs. Old house had a bundle as big as your thumb
to every room. I think I have 4 pairs here. I'll have to look.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
. ..

That re-insertion is the tricky part.

...Jim Thompson

Another option which avoids reinsertion is to turn off the ringers on
all the phones. Feed the output of your 800-dump box to several
remote ringers all over the estate. The phones still get the initial ring
signal and will display the CID.
Art

Good point! I was going to rig remote ringers that skipped the first
ring, but the 800-dump box already has that delay. Now I need to see
if I have enough pairs. Old house had a bundle as big as your thumb
to every room. I think I have 4 pairs here. I'll have to look.

...Jim Thompson

I bought 10 of these...

http://www.sourcingmap.com/loud-soun...r-p-25755.html

Then I'll turn off the telephone's ringer.

Also dawned on me to connect answering machine to the block/pass-thru
line of the 800-dump box.

Then 800 number callers don't ring at all, but they hear "ringing"
that never rolls to voice mail... just rings and rings and .... ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message

I bought 10 of these...

http://www.sourcingmap.com/loud-soun...r-p-25755.html

Then I'll turn off the telephone's ringer.

Also dawned on me to connect answering machine to the block/pass-thru
line of the 800-dump box.

Then 800 number callers don't ring at all, but they hear "ringing"
that never rolls to voice mail... just rings and rings and .... ;-)

...Jim Thompson

What make & model dump box are you using?
Art

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:16:55 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
.. .

I bought 10 of these...

http://www.sourcingmap.com/loud-soun...r-p-25755.html

Then I'll turn off the telephone's ringer.

Also dawned on me to connect answering machine to the block/pass-thru
line of the 800-dump box.

Then 800 number callers don't ring at all, but they hear "ringing"
that never rolls to voice mail... just rings and rings and .... ;-)

...Jim Thompson

What make & model dump box are you using?
Art

http://www.jfteck.com/ (version 2)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson

Solved. Bought 10 units (five phone locations, 2-lines) from Hong
Kong at $5 each. Loud!

Next problem:

I need a circuit that closes a relay after X rings, X adjustable.

As before, line-powered preferred.

Helpful to the solution, I think, relay needs to close for no more
than maybe one second ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:13:47 -0700, Jim Thompson

Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Solved. Bought 10 units (five phone locations, 2-lines) from Hong
Kong at $5 each. Loud!

Next problem:

I need a circuit that closes a relay after X rings, X adjustable.

As before, line-powered preferred.

Uh, presettable CMOS counter, and a battery for the relay?

By "line-powered," I presume you're talking about the telco's 48V?
You can't draw very much power from that at all, or they'll start
investigating for faults in their trunks. And, of course, they'll
trace it to you. :-

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson

Solved. Bought 10 units (five phone locations, 2-lines) from Hong
Kong at $5 each. Loud!

Next problem:

I need a circuit that closes a relay after X rings, X adjustable.

As before, line-powered preferred.

Helpful to the solution, I think, relay needs to close for no more
than maybe one second ;-)

http://www.electronicsinfoline.com/P..._flasher.shtml

Not line powered but has an appropriate opto circuit. I wouldn't expect
the load to be phone line powered.

Modify the circuit to fire a retriggerable monostable. Couple this to a
counter /
relay driver.