Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Remote Ringer for Telephone

Jim Thompson wrote:

Anyone have a favorite circuit for a remote telephone ringer?

I have access to the phone line, but no close-by source of power, so
telephone line-powered or low battery drain.

Commercial purchase also OK.

Suggestions?

Yeah - look around for an old Western Electric type that's actually
operated by the ringing voltage. In fact, I've even seen prebuilt
boxes with only a ringer in them.

Lessee what Friend Google has to say:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ne+ringe r%22

Or, how about one of those 5 or 10 buck extension phones?

Or do you specifically want to design something? You could capacitate
the line, and on the other side of the cap, rectify the ringing voltage
and just power any ol' beeper, or whatever circuit you want. Maybe
a half-wave rectifier to each of two _different_ beepers, so it'd make
two distinct tones.

Of course, isolate the box - nobody knows how it mucks up their stuff
if you accidentally ground one of their lines.

Have Fun!
Rich