Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Automatic Audio Switch

Anyone make, or have suggestions for, an automatic audio switch...

Input with a signal gets connected to the Output ??

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

Anyone make, or have suggestions for, an automatic audio switch...

Input with a signal gets connected to the Output ??

I've built something like that into a PA mixer for use in churches &
conference rooms about 10 years ago. If you look into that sort of
equipment, you'll probably find what you need.

"If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

Anyone make, or have suggestions for, an automatic audio switch...

Input with a signal gets connected to the Output ??

It's called a Gate. Inluded in the piece of Behringer kit I suggested in
the compander thread.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

We do something along those lines in avionics, but it turned out to be less
than useful. We called it priority encoding. That is, you have a number of
inputs (say 4 for example). You put the most important signal on channel 1
and you use a simple diode detector to see if there is any audio on this
channel. IF so, THEN shut off the other 3 channels with gates and the usual
audio analog switch like a 4016. Then IF no audio on 1, then the second
priority line uses the same detector and IF audio on this channel, THEN shut
off 3 and 4. And so on down the line. 4 needs no detector. If there is
nothing on 1, 2, or 3, then 4 is a pass-through.

The problem we found in actual service is that you'd be listening to
something rather important on line 2 when line 1 came on calling another
aircraft and shut off #2. Not a good thing. I think I've got the prototype
around in the "that was a hell of a good idea" box somewhere.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Anyone make, or have suggestions for, an automatic audio switch...

Input with a signal gets connected to the Output ??

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In article , "RST Engineering \(jw\)" wrote:
[...]

I would use a stereo headset. Feed both channels normally. Then put #1 to one side
only then put other channel on other side, with ability to manually control.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:14:35 -0700, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
wrote:

[...]

Sno-o-o-o-ort! One of those aw-**** moments ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:20:03 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Anyone make, or have suggestions for, an automatic audio switch...

Input with a signal gets connected to the Output ??

...Jim Thompson

Made something like that in ancient times around a HEF4060 and 2 HEF
4053's.

It would scan inputs, if audio present, it would stop the 4060 clock.

Second 4053 to drive one of the 4 leds. (OK, I had a load of 4053's,
had to use them up..)

~ Best Regards, Rene ~
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:48:50 GMT, (Nico Coesel)
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Anyone make, or have suggestions for, an automatic audio switch...

Input with a signal gets connected to the Output ??

I've built something like that into a PA mixer for use in churches &
conference rooms about 10 years ago. If you look into that sort of
equipment, you'll probably find what you need.

Just solved my own question:

Both of these audio sources also have video outputs, both S-video and
composite. I'll just use the presence of composite to select the
correct audio channel ;-)

...Jim Thompson

That's what the automatic S-Video switch I had from Radio Shack did. Worked
great to auto select the active channel in priority order. Unfortunately
(That word usually follows RS at one point or another), we had a severe
brown-out and the microprocessor that ran the thing did not have any sort of
under voltage lockout... What followed is that apparently it ate it's own
flash and became a different function - a SMT rework teaching station for my
production department grin

If anybody should be interested in the inner workings, I found the operator
manual and schematics for the BiAmp Advantage System One modular sound
system that we have in our church. The Advantage AGII contains the AGC and
priority gating section.

Operator manual:
http://www.biamp.com/discontinued_pr...e=pr od&tid=6
Schematics: