Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Building DIY pro. speakers - 500_watt_top_box.jpg (1/1)

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:23:54 -0500, John O'Flaherty
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:43:45 -0500, John O'Flaherty
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:50:51 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:17:36 -0500, John O'Flaherty
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 19:34:11 -0700, Capt. Cave Man
wrote:

{trimmed for clarity}

The wiring certainly will NOT handle your claimed power handling
capacity. It will introduce distortion as power increases. You need
bigger feed lines, and they should be kept as short as can be feasibly
done.

What sort of distortion will increase with power due to small wires?

---
If the temperature of the wires is caused to change by the charge
flowing through them, then their resistance will be modulated by the
power being dissipated by the load, and distortion products will be
generated as sidebands.

To get sidebands, the temperature would have to change significantly
(compared to the DC resistance of the voice coil) within each cyle of
the waveform. Does that actually happen?

I decided to do some calculations as a reality check.
Assume worst case non-linear distortion due to modulation of
resistance of wires due to temperature change due to power will be
felt at the lowest frequency, say 20 Hz. Assume 100W, 8 ohm speaker
system. A relatively large change in temperature of the wire within a
cycle would occur if the waveform was square, on for 12.5 ms, off for
12.5 ms., on negative for 12.5 ms and off again for 12.5 ms; at least
it's easier to figure that way.
Assume 18 ga copper hookup wire is used (not the stoutest wire), and 5
feet of it is needed (this is just the hookup wire, not the choke or
voice coil resistance). This will have a resistance of
.00639 ohm/ft * 5 ft = .03195 ohm.
If the RMS power is 100 W, and it's concentrated into equal on/off
times, the on-time power is 200 W. The power dissipated in the wire
will be about 200 W * .03195 ohms / 8 ohms (wire resistance / speaker
resistance) = 0.798 W. The duration is 12.5 ms, so the energy dumped
into the wire is ~10 mJ.
The density of the hookup wire is 1 lb / 203.4 ft. With 5 feet,
5 ft / 203.4 ft * 453 g/lb = 11.16 g is the mass of the hookup wire.
The heat capacity of copper is .385 J/(g C). That gives
10 mJ / 11.16 g / (.385 J/g/C) = 0.00233 C temperature rise.
Copper has a TCR of 3930 ppm/C, so the net resistance change is
.00233 C * 3930 / 1e6 / C * .03195 ohms = 0.29 microohms. In an 8 ohm
system, that's a change of 2.9e-7 / 8 or 3.7 micropercent.
How could that cause perceptible distortion? The assumptions above
assume heat gain for 1/4 period, and complete loss of that gain in the
next 1/4 period, so that's kind of worst case for change.

---
Nice work; makes sense to me. :-)
---

Of course,
I've ignored impedance, but that won't materially affect the result.

---
Agree.
---

On the radiusing question, usually, features that affect waves are not
too much smaller than the waves. Worst-case (shortest) wavelength for
audio @ 20 kHz in air is 1100 ft/sec / 20 kHz = .055 ft = 0.6 inches.
I suspect that any compression into a corner is going to be averaged
over audible wavelengths. It's hard to see how smoothing a corner is
going to make a difference at audible frequencies, unless you're a
dolphin, and then you'll have to use teak and spar varnish for your
cabinet.

---
I was thinking more along the line of a pressure wavefront being focused
into a corner, where the pressure would increase to the point where the
material forming the corner would be moved slightly and then, when it
relaxed, adding its own signature to the mix.

Additionally, the focusing would increase the density of the air in the
region of the corner, increasing the sound velocity in that region.

I'm not sure whether that would cause mixing and the creation of
distortion products, but it would surely color the sound.

Smooth corners, on the other hand, wouldn't be corners, and would cause
less coloration.

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 06:15:34 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

---
I was thinking more along the line of a pressure wavefront being focused
into a corner, where the pressure would increase to the point where the
material forming the corner would be moved slightly and then, when it
relaxed, adding its own signature to the mix.

Additionally, the focusing would increase the density of the air in the
region of the corner, increasing the sound velocity in that region.

I'm not sure whether that would cause mixing and the creation of
distortion products, but it would surely color the sound.

Smooth corners, on the other hand, wouldn't be corners, and would cause
less coloration.

JF

Yes. This is an already established fact. Cabinets with non-parallel
walls were able to alleviate some of it, which allowed the industry to
further prove the phenomena.

Sharp corners such as those found in cabinets that use a lot of
internal bracing causes abrupt wave front disturbances that can be read
as distortions and can be heard as colorations in the sound making the
same sound played on different speakers sound different.

Otherwise, all speakers would sound the same. So the poster that acted
like you did not know what you were talking about is an idiot.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

A 50W continuous rated horn ? There are plenty of commercial products that bi-amp at
that level. The second amp is probably cheaper to build than a decently made passive
crossover.

I'm a pro-audio consultant so I should know !

I haven't built an amp since the 70s.. or 80s using 70s designs! I remember the
Tiger series...

Do you have a schemo for a decent 50 watt or so amp? A "simpler than an xover"
amp? I hear power FETs have simplified things somewhat.

Just use one of the National chip amps in the 'Overture' ? series. Google "gainclone" and
you'll find ready to build kits.

Plus I need to make a filter, got something on the latest in Link-Riley what
evers?

Typical Linkwitz Rileys are simply 2 cascaded Butterworth 2nd order filters IIRC. Again
go to National.com and use the WEBENCH design tool but use a sensible audio optimed
op-amp say the LM883, NE5532 etc and scale those R values down and C values up to keep
the noise low. Use close tolerance Rs e.g. 1% and the closest tolerance Cs you can afford
or the output will not sum correctly ( another problem with passive xovers ). Note that
the -3dB point of the Linkwitz Riley filter is not the Fc of the individual 2nd order
butterworth filters so you'll have to do some modelling.

Personally I use Bessel filters though but you have to cross them at -4.5dB to get a flat
SPL vector sum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkwitz-Riley_filter

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

Power FET's are to BJT's as Monster Cable is to zip-cord... only for
the gullible to waste their money on ;-)

Complete rubbish. Stay with what you know.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Fields wrote:

John O'Flaherty wrote:

The wiring certainly will NOT handle your claimed power handling
capacity. It will introduce distortion as power increases. You need
bigger feed lines, and they should be kept as short as can be feasibly
done.

What sort of distortion will increase with power due to small wires?

---
If the temperature of the wires is caused to change by the charge
flowing through them, then their resistance will be modulated by the
power being dissipated by the load, and distortion products will be
generated as sidebands.

Actually I have found the real problem is the modulation of the LOAD
resistance. Voice coils can run very hot these days. The load is therefore
non-linear wheras the connecting wire doesn't get hot and just presents a
resistance. The net effect is the same. I'm not sure about your use of the term
sidebands. It just looked like classic harmonic distortion to me.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John O'Flaherty wrote:

To get sidebands, the temperature would have to change significantly
(compared to the DC resistance of the voice coil) within each cyle of
the waveform. Does that actually happen?

Astonishingly, YES ! But it's not the connecting wire that gets hot, but the
voice coil itself. I've seen it and measured it.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John O'Flaherty wrote:

I think shape must important (whether the walls are parallel or not,
for example), but I doubt it is important at scales way smaller than
the wavelength at the highest audio frequency.

Avoid duplicating dimensions of height width or depth.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Capt. Cave Man" wrote:

Silver plated copper PTFE (Teflon) military wire is pretty cheap in
large gauges even. Customers like such special considerations.

You mean they like being conned.

You said "Pro",so how could it be "good enough"?

Pros are sensible enough to know that silver plated Teflon wire is just a waste of
money. Use thick gauge ordinary PVC covered copper wire instead.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I really wanted to hear how these Eminence drivers sound,

Which ones are they ?

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 19:34:11 -0700, Capt. Cave Man
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:47:35 -0400,
wrote:

Fairly decent cabinet design.

I hope you are using marine type plywood.

A fine grain, high density particle board might be better. I use solid
hardwoods throughout.

You should also use a thicker glue between ALL of the elements, and you
should coat the entire inside with a thick polyurethane so thick that ALL
of the sharp corners inside become rounded.

Why?

---
Air is compressible, and when there's a pressure wave which propagates
into a corner, the pressure will tend toward infinity as the wave is
squeezed into the line describing the corner, with the result that the
wood will move and, by doing so, modulate the pressure wave, creating
sidebands.

Thats funny! What audio store do you work for?

---
I don't work for an audio store, I work for a consulting firm.

Bose I bet...

Besides, what makes you think it's funny?

I've been building speakers for over 40 years, ****wit.

Do you have some data you can
use to prove my hypothesis incorrect or are you just flapping your jaws?

you are retarded...

You should not assume that your max wattage is equal to the wattage
capacity stated on the driver(s).

The wiring certainly will NOT handle your claimed power handling
capacity. It will introduce distortion as power increases. You need
bigger feed lines, and they should be kept as short as can be feasibly
done.

What sort of distortion will increase with power due to small wires?

---
If the temperature of the wires is caused to change by the charge
flowing through them, then their resistance will be modulated by the
power being dissipated by the load, and distortion products will be
generated as sidebands.

Wow! Explain the fact no one can hear the tweeter protection lamp, which
changes resistance about a million times more than the feed wire can??

---
What makes you think no one can hear the tweeter lamp?

If its resistance changes _that_ much then surely it affects the dynamic
range of the tweeter's SPL, which means that it colors the tweeter's
output, which means that one would certainly be able to hear the
difference between a lamped and non-lamped tweeter.
---

JF

Does that stand for Jerk-****er?

---
Why do you want to know?

Are you looking for a dick up your ass?
---

Please go away... please...

---
Nope; I'm here for the long haul.

thats OK, intelligent people ignore fools like you

I notice though, this is your first post here.

wrong, **** for brains, I've been around here since 95

PLONK
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:33:27 +0000, Eeyore

Wow! Explain the fact no one can hear the tweeter protection lamp, which
changes resistance about a million times more than the feed wire can??

Not in normal use.

Thats right, even though the filiment changes resistance at ALL changes in
temperature, from absolut zero and up.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:27:28 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

But it's not the connecting wire that gets hot, but the
voice coil itself. I've seen it and measured it.

If the connecting wires are small, they can heat up as well.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:38:13 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

"Capt. Cave Man" wrote:

Silver plated copper PTFE (Teflon) military wire is pretty cheap in
large gauges even. Customers like such special considerations.

You mean they like being conned.

You're an idiot. The place where I get my SPC mil wire has nothing to
do with any audio idiot like you being around.

It is simple math. Silver plated copper tarnishes at a slower rate than
bare copper or tinned copper does. SPC wire is also a better conductor
than TPC or bare copper is.

You said "Pro",so how could it be "good enough"?

Pros are sensible enough to know that silver plated Teflon wire is just a waste of
money.

You're a goddamned idiot. When the difference in price is pennies per
foot, you can bet that a knowledgeable "Pro" will use the best conductors
he can find, and SPC mil wire is pretty cheap.

You're a ****ing retarded twit for thinking that I was touting this
wire from something I heard from a retard like you. Sorry, retard, but I
do not listen to retards like you. Goodbye.

Use thick gauge ordinary PVC covered copper wire instead.

You are ordinary. And stupid as well.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

You're an absolute idiot. No bet required.

Besides, what makes you think it's funny?

I've been building speakers for over 40 years, ****wit.

Then you are the ****wit. Some dope that throws drivers in a box he
screwed together is NOT "building speakers", it is building CRAP when it
is you doing it, because you do not know the first thing about air and
sound. Must less the reflections of such inside a cabinet. If you did,
you would not have spewed the total CRAP you spewed.

Do you have some data you can
use to prove my hypothesis incorrect or are you just flapping your jaws?

you are retarded...

No, maniacal twit, it is YOU that is retarded.

[...]

That leaves you out then.

I notice though, this is your first post here.

wrong, **** for brains, I've been around here since 95

Sure, ****head.

PLONK

Oh boy! Another total retard that thinks we are all interested in
seeing his filter file edit session announcement.

You're an idiot. Get the **** out. Stay the **** out. Go find a tall
bridge and jump off of it. What you know about speaker cabinet design
advancements would fit on the tip of a molecular probe.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Gotcha again, you mutha-****ing little *******o ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| E-mail Icon at
http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

Barack Obama, King of the Democratic People's Republic of America
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

You lose, putz.

Bose isn't a consulting firm.
---

Besides, what makes you think it's funny?

I've been building speakers for over 40 years, ****wit.

---
And making 40 years' worth of mistakes in the process, no doubt.
---

Do you have some data you can
use to prove my hypothesis incorrect or are you just flapping your jaws?

you are retarded...

---
That isn't data, that's just trying to use insult to avoid the issue.

Do you have data to back up your claims or don't you?
---

[...]

Since you haven't been able to, which camp does that put _you_ in?
---

I notice though, this is your first post here.

wrong, **** for brains, I've been around here since 95

---
On USENET, maybe, but I don't get around to alt.coprophagous.dolts that
often, so I must have missed your _important_ commentaries.
---

PLONK

---
So you're just another chicken**** coward who won't stand his ground and
wants to have the last word?

Such being the case, the plonk translates into:

"Oh please, Mommy, what can I do to keep him from being mean to me?"

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I've been building speakers for over 40 years, ****wit.

Really? Do you cast the frames, or press them from sheet steel?
What type of surrounds do you use, and do you wind the voice coils from
Aluminum, or Copper?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Bull****. No speaker works at absolute Zero.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

wrong, **** for brains, I've been around here since 95

And what are your credentials ?

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Capt. Cave Man" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
"Capt. Cave Man" wrote:

Silver plated copper PTFE (Teflon) military wire is pretty cheap in
large gauges even. Customers like such special considerations.

You mean they like being conned.

You're an idiot. The place where I get my SPC mil wire has nothing to
do with any audio idiot like you being around.

You destroyed any minimal credibility you ever had here. Have you any idea who my and
my colleauges' clients are ? We're talking #1 grade studios ( such as AIR ) and the
like. I could give you a list as long as my arm.

BTW, how many platinum albums have you seen in YOUR clients premises ?

Graham

Building DIY pro. speakers - 500_watt_top_box.jpg (0/1) [email protected] Electronic Schematics 15 March 25th 09 12:00 AM
OT - PC Speakers Davao UK diy 6 March 3rd 08 02:23 PM
Wireless Speakers: RCA Speakers Only Work when on Same Electrical Outlet as Transmitter / What is Problem? Lin Electronics Repair 11 April 24th 07 08:37 PM
Speakers bodger UK diy 38 December 14th 06 01:51 PM
advice on building/finishing speakers Rich Wilner Woodworking 8 January 6th 04 02:41 PM