Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Catalogs - pet peeve

A salesman dropped by the office today and left some catalogs for me. Once
again, I marvel at the cost and effort that goes into producing and
distributing these - but wonder why most catalogs do not give any
publication date. Ok, so I used to work on military projects where any new
doc release came with a cover sheet that spelled out revision changes and
what document it superseded. Having gotten used to that, getting undated
documentation and not knowing what (obsolete) catalogs in the engineering
library to replace sorta ticks me off.

I'm actually a bit surprised that many vendors continue to make full line
catalogs. With access to online catalogs, at most, a short form catalog
should be all that is necessary. Online selection guides vary in
effectiveness and often bog down over a misinterpretation of terminology.

// end of rant //

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:

A salesman dropped by the office today and left some catalogs for me. Once
again, I marvel at the cost and effort that goes into producing and
distributing these - but wonder why most catalogs do not give any
publication date. Ok, so I used to work on military projects where any new
doc release came with a cover sheet that spelled out revision changes and
what document it superseded. Having gotten used to that, getting undated
documentation and not knowing what (obsolete) catalogs in the engineering
library to replace sorta ticks me off.

I'm actually a bit surprised that many vendors continue to make full line
catalogs. With access to online catalogs, at most, a short form catalog
should be all that is necessary. Online selection guides vary in
effectiveness and often bog down over a misinterpretation of terminology.

// end of rant //

That was why I bought a 'RECIEVED' stamp back in the '70s and wrote
the date in the space.

One idiot at another business wrote 'NEWEST' on the cover of
everything that came in the door. He reminds me of 'Dimbulb'.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:42:06 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Oppie wrote:

[...]

I do hope it was spelled correctly ;-)

One idiot at another business wrote 'NEWEST' on the cover of
everything that came in the door. He reminds me of 'Dimbulb'.

Bwahahahahahaha! Or Slowman ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

How severe can senility be? Just check out Slowman.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Oppie wrote:

[...]

Does it really matter?

One idiot at another business wrote 'NEWEST' on the cover of
everything that came in the door. He reminds me of 'Dimbulb'.

Bwahahahahahaha! Or Slowman ;-)

Sloman would use the catalogs for toilet paper. You know what
cheapskates those welfare queens are.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
A salesman dropped by the office today and left some catalogs for me. Once
again, I marvel at the cost and effort that goes into producing and
distributing these - but wonder why most catalogs do not give any
publication date. Ok, so I used to work on military projects where any new
doc release came with a cover sheet that spelled out revision changes and
what document it superseded. Having gotten used to that, getting undated
documentation and not knowing what (obsolete) catalogs in the engineering
library to replace sorta ticks me off.

I'm actually a bit surprised that many vendors continue to make full line
catalogs. With access to online catalogs, at most, a short form catalog
should be all that is necessary. Online selection guides vary in
effectiveness and often bog down over a misinterpretation of terminology.

MILSPEC and ISO9000 are not widely practiced.

As to why vendors continue on with wasteful (mostly ineffective) practices,
it is lousy management! Inertia is the driving force and change is feared.
This problem is evident in most of our current economic woes.

If some customers demand printed matter, fine ... give them what they want
and need. If others like Internet access, fine ... give it to them. And at
some point, run a cost analysis to determine what is working and what is
not.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Oppie wrote:

[...]

Aha! So that's where the term "pansy-assed" comes from ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

How severe can senility be? Just check out Slowman.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

That's how the RAF knows it has crossed the border into Scotland. THey just
get down low so that they can see the toilet paper hanging out on the line
to dry.

Jim

Sloman would use the catalogs for toilet paper. You know what
cheapskates those welfare queens are.

Aha! So that's where the term "pansy-assed" comes from ?:-)

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ever work to MIL-TDD-41?

Jim

MILSPEC and ISO9000 are not widely practiced.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Oppie wrote:

[...]

Only when his wife is at work, of course.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Charles wrote:

"Oppie" wrote in message
[...]

ISO9001 can be a royal pain in the ass. All it really does is set a
rigid standard for your paperwork. In the US UL does the quarterly
'audits' where someone who has no idea what your job is, or how its
performed tries to trip you up. A lot of implementations are done by
consultants who expect you to make your business conform to their
prepackaged system, rather than examine the current practices and
implement it in ISO9001 format. BTDT for the endless Dilberesque
meetings, then told my boss that if I was one of the victims selected to
be audited, I would hand the test procedure to the auditor and tell them
to show me how to do the job.

I wonder how many workplace shootings are in ISO9000 companies?

I had my fill of milspec and DECAS at Cincinnati Electronics. It
took over six months to update a test procedure for the PRC-77 radios,
since the test equipment was chosen for the PRC-10 design, which was two
generations older, and all tube. The PRC-77 design was done by RCA, and
ended up as a NATO unit. What a stinking nightmare! RCA never got it
into production, and the contract was subbed so many times that some of
the intermediate companies were either out of business, out of the
military contracting business, merged with another company, or simply
changed their name. it was full of Germanium transistors, in the late
'70s. Most were obsolete and had to be custom manufactured. The RF
front end was from Motorola. They said they couldn't run 100% testing,
so they agreed to ship an extra 10%. If the failure rate exceeded that,
they would replace the lot with another untested batch. Two poor SOBs
spent eight hours a day in incoming inspection doing 100% testing on the
obsolete parts.

That is one reason a lot of military electronics is now COTS.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Oppie wrote:

[...]

No, they use their left forefinger.

Good thing our custom was a right hand shake.

You retarded *******s will all die of senilty soon anyway, and it will
be me having the last laugh.

RECIEVE that, idiot. Be sure to write the date,because that is how it
will be.

All your pussy friends will say "he will be sadly missed", and then I
will rain on their parade as well. Yes... it IS VERY FUNNY, and VERY
TRUE.

I am already getting the last laugh just thinking about it.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 20:27:30 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

ISO9001 can be a royal pain in the ass. All it really does is set a
rigid standard for your paperwork.

It is not a standard in and of itself. It is a standard that ties you
to declaring what standards and practices you utilize in your firm, and
compels you to document said practices.

It is out of use currently anyway. Ther are new standards that ARE
actual standards being adopted.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:24:45 -0400, "Oppie"
wrote:

A salesman dropped by the office today and left some catalogs for me. Once
again, I marvel at the cost and effort that goes into producing and
distributing these - but wonder why most catalogs do not give any
publication date. Ok, so I used to work on military projects where any new
doc release came with a cover sheet that spelled out revision changes and
what document it superseded. Having gotten used to that, getting undated
documentation and not knowing what (obsolete) catalogs in the engineering
library to replace sorta ticks me off.

I'm actually a bit surprised that many vendors continue to make full line
catalogs. With access to online catalogs, at most, a short form catalog
should be all that is necessary. Online selection guides vary in
effectiveness and often bog down over a misinterpretation of terminology.

// end of rant //

Any vendor these days that still makes a full line catalogue is
overcharging the customer. These are the places that a good for
prototype numbers, but nothing else.

Real doco comes from the manufacturers, and they are versioned.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt" wrote in message
It is not a standard in and of itself. It is a standard that ties you
to declaring what standards and practices you utilize in your firm, and
compels you to document said practices.

It is out of use currently anyway. Ther are new standards that ARE
actual standards being adopted.

So if your company has spent millions of dollars becoming ISO9001 complaint by
thoroughly documenting their standards and practices, you're saying now
they'll have to do it all over again for the "latest and greatest" new
standard?

Ugggh.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:53:59 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt" wrote in message
.. .
It is not a standard in and of itself. It is a standard that ties you
to declaring what standards and practices you utilize in your firm, and
compels you to document said practices.

It is out of use currently anyway. Ther are new standards that ARE
actual standards being adopted.

So if your company has spent millions of dollars becoming ISO9001 complaint by
thoroughly documenting their standards and practices, you're saying now
they'll have to do it all over again for the "latest and greatest" new
standard?

Ugggh.

I like that, "ISO9001 complaint" ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I don't need more sex, the government already ****s me every day

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I like that, "ISO9001 complaint" ;-)

:-) I keep thinking I should spell-check posts prior to hitting "send,"
although clearly that wouldn't have helped here...

Does Agent check your outgoing posts for misspellings, Jim?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:17:34 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I like that, "ISO9001 complaint" ;-)

:-) I keep thinking I should spell-check posts prior to hitting "send,"
although clearly that wouldn't have helped here...

Does Agent check your outgoing posts for misspellings, Jim?

Yes. But it also doesn't catch misused words, or bad grammar, "it's"
versus "its", "their" versus "there", etc. :-(

But I can add special spellings, like "Slowman" ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I don't need more sex, the government already ****s me every day
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , Oppie
writes
I'm actually a bit surprised that many vendors continue to make full
line catalogs. With access to online catalogs, at most, a short form
catalog should be all that is necessary.

I actually *like* printed full catalogues from distributors, browsing
them in spare time at work gave me ideas and inspiration, sometimes they
lead to complete new products just because I found a device I wanted to
'play' with and found a need for it. I find sourcing
alternate/equivalent parts easier with a dead tree guide as well.

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"RST Engineering (jw)" wrote in message
news
Ever work to MIL-TDD-41?

Ever try following the correct posting conventions like everyone else?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:

I'm actually a bit surprised that many vendors continue to make full line
catalogs. With access to online catalogs, at most, a short form catalog
should be all that is necessary. Online selection guides vary in
effectiveness and often bog down over a misinterpretation of terminology.

Farnell is a perfect example. Sometimes the online version is excellent (but
their server can be intolerably slow) but sometimes you can only ever find the
part by referring to the paper version.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Oppie wrote:

[...]

I can think of someone who might conceivably do that too.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 22:52:21 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Oppie wrote:

[...]

---
This thread has certainly gotten ****ed up, but one of my favorite
"restaurants" (quotes because they're more than just that) here, in
Austin, is Catfish Parlour:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/catfish-parlour-austin-3

Where a sign declares: "Free beer tomorrow."

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt" wrote in message
.. .
It is not a standard in and of itself. It is a standard that ties you
to declaring what standards and practices you utilize in your firm, and
compels you to document said practices.

It is out of use currently anyway. Ther are new standards that ARE
actual standards being adopted.

So if your company has spent millions of dollars becoming ISO9001 complaint by
thoroughly documenting their standards and practices, you're saying now
they'll have to do it all over again for the "latest and greatest" new
standard?

Ugggh.

No. We are still following mil standards in many areas. We conform to
whatever the need requires.

ISO9001 is not merely for electronics manufacturers. ANY company can
become so.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:17:34 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I like that, "ISO9001 complaint" ;-)

:-) I keep thinking I should spell-check posts prior to hitting "send,"
although clearly that wouldn't have helped here...

Does Agent check your outgoing posts for misspellings, Jim?

Automatically so, unless one turns it off.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 22:47:19 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"RST Engineering (jw)" wrote in message
news
Ever work to MIL-TDD-41?

Ever try following the correct posting conventions like everyone else?

The idiot thinks he is writing email, AND he justifies his stupid
non-conformal idiocy by stating that certain posts do not matter in that
regard.

He matters little as well.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 22:51:16 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

Oppie wrote:

I'm actually a bit surprised that many vendors continue to make full line
catalogs. With access to online catalogs, at most, a short form catalog
should be all that is necessary. Online selection guides vary in
effectiveness and often bog down over a misinterpretation of terminology.

Farnell is a perfect example. Sometimes the online version is excellent (but
their server can be intolerably slow) but sometimes you can only ever find the
part by referring to the paper version.

Graham

Works fine here. I think *your* hooks are what are slow.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Oppie wrote:

[...]

Only the kid from "The Trouble With Harry" would succeed in getting a
beer in such a place. :-)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

snip
[...]

ISO9000 at it's most simple is "say what you do and do what you say" but of
course we all know that the devil is in the details.

I work for a rather small privately held company and going ISO9001 although
a royal pain was a good thing as it did force implementation of good
engineering and documentation practices (especially since I got to write the
engineering governance sections... buahh-ha-ha as jt would say).

Back to the original thread - we're so small that mostly we only get
catalogs when the reps get new ones and decide to purge the old stock :-(

Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

oppie wrote:

[...]

After everything it it is obsolete?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

oppie wrote:
snip
Back to the original thread - we're so small that mostly we only get
catalogs when the reps get new ones and decide to purge the old stock :-(

After everything it it is obsolete?

Not necessarily obsolete but definitely not the latest edition. Catalogs are
mostly reminders and placeholders for me. Whenever possible, I get the
latest info off the web. There are still some companies that have a minimal
or minimally useful online presence. Then you have to get printed
information...

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Oppie wrote:

I'm actually a bit surprised that many vendors continue to make full line
catalogs. With access to online catalogs, at most, a short form catalog
should be all that is necessary. Online selection guides vary in
effectiveness and often bog down over a misinterpretation of terminology.

Farnell is a perfect example. Sometimes the online version is excellent
(but
their server can be intolerably slow) but sometimes you can only ever find
the
part by referring to the paper version.

Graham

The Farnell search system is a shambles, sometimes I end up not placing an
order because it repeatedly finds everything except what I'm looking for.

Either Farnell has seriously cut back its stock list or their search system
is missing items I want to re-order from only a month ago.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2009-03-13, ian field wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Oppie wrote:

I'm actually a bit surprised that many vendors continue to make full line
catalogs. With access to online catalogs, at most, a short form catalog
should be all that is necessary. Online selection guides vary in
effectiveness and often bog down over a misinterpretation of terminology.

Farnell is a perfect example. Sometimes the online version is excellent
(but
their server can be intolerably slow) but sometimes you can only ever find
the
part by referring to the paper version.

Graham

The Farnell search system is a shambles, sometimes I end up not placing an
order because it repeatedly finds everything except what I'm looking for.

Either Farnell has seriously cut back its stock list or their search system
is missing items I want to re-order from only a month ago.

Under "my account" there should be 'order history'

on the order don't look too closely at the price columns!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2009-03-13, ian field wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Oppie wrote:

[...]

Usually I re-enter the order code in advanced search, otherwise no amount of
tinkering with the search string finds the part.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:16:11 -0700, Fred Abse
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:54:21 -0700, RST Engineering (jw) wrote:

Ever work to MIL-TDD-41?

I work to MIL-TFD :-)

---
Make It Like The ****ing Drawing?

I'd almost forgotten that one...

Funny, :-)

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:54:21 -0700, RST Engineering (jw) wrote:

Ever work to MIL-TDD-41?

I work to MIL-TFD :-)

---
Make It Like The ****ing Drawing?

I'd almost forgotten that one...

Funny, :-)

JF

That one is going back into instant use next week at work! ;-)

I am sure there are several hundred at work that will have direct memory
of it, and now, there will be some younger folks that do as well.

This is great! You guys might raise me up out of my depression yet.

catalogs [email protected] Woodworking 1 June 2nd 06 05:03 PM
New Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley Catalogs... Never Enough Money Woodworking 15 October 24th 05 07:22 PM
Value of McMaster, MSC et al catalogs rashid111 Metalworking 3 July 10th 05 07:08 AM
Jet & Shop Fox catalogs? Don Woodworking 5 March 25th 05 05:57 AM
Harbor Freight Catalogs -- So many! Patrick Metalworking 10 September 20th 03 02:20 PM