Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Lab Workbench Ideas

I'm not sure if this post is OK for this NG but are there any good plans and
ideas for an electronics workbench? Perhaps someone built one that they're
proud of. Thanks in advance.

west

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 04:56:54 GMT, "West" wrote:

I'm not sure if this post is OK for this NG but are there any good plans and
ideas for an electronics workbench? Perhaps someone built one that they're
proud of. Thanks in advance.

west

Not sure where you are located, but I always go the local electronics
surplus place first. They almost always have very high quality benches
from company shutdowns that are designed for the job, and well made.

With the economy taking a dump now, the supply is great, and the
prices are excellent. I see benches for between $50 and $100, cash and
carry...
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Al Al is offline

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 04:56:54 +0000, West wrote:

I'm not sure if this post is OK for this NG but are there any good plans
and ideas for an electronics workbench? Perhaps someone built one that
they're proud of. Thanks in advance.

west

I got my workbench for free from my town's recycling center. I repainted
it, put a new top on it and voila!

Al
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

I've been using wooden or hardboard doors as the bench top for a very long
time. They come in one standard length but lots of different widths. Some
4x4s for a framework, 2x4s bolted as outlet holders, and you are home free.
If the benchtop gets tattered after a few years, just turn the top over and
you've got a new surface to work on. When that one gets eaten up, a new
door is only a few bucks.

For lightweight equipment, hollow core doors will work, but for a robust
bench a solid core door will last for decades.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

"West" wrote in message
I'm not sure if this post is OK for this NG but are there any good plans
and
ideas for an electronics workbench? Perhaps someone built one that they're
proud of. Thanks in advance.

west

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Lab Workbench Ideas - B2.jpg

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 04:56:54 GMT, "West" wrote:

I'm not sure if this post is OK for this NG but are there any good plans and
ideas for an electronics workbench? Perhaps someone built one that they're
proud of. Thanks in advance.

west

This is the mini-lab in the corner of my office. Each of our engineers
have one like this, and we have one big lab where we put together
systems or do things that won't fit into the offices. All this is from
Ikea; the workbench is one of their "computer workstations" and is
very sturdy. Their stuff is really good.

The cabinet to the left is full of plastic bins of parts, like one for
caps, one for resistors, one for diodes, etc. Within each bin, parts
are stored in labeled kraft-paper coin envelopes, with any interesting
things noted, and the Digikey label or whatever taped to the back or
stuffed inside. Some bookshelves and drawers nearby hold other test
equipment not being used at the moment, connectors and adapters and
such, and cables hanging on those Pomona wire loom things.

The Metcal iron and the Mantis viewer are expensive, but worth it if
you work with fine-pitch stuff. The in-reach whiteboard is wonderful;
I draw a schematic and breadboard simultaneously, keeping them
synchronized. I can take pictures of the breadboard, the schematic,
and scope traces in stages, all along the way, to have a record of
what affects what.

This is pretty efficient. Electronics is messy, so if I had a bigger
bench I'd just make more mess.

John

Attached Thumbnails
Lab Workbench Ideas-b2-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"PeterD" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 04:56:54 GMT, "West" wrote:

I'm not sure if this post is OK for this NG but are there any good plans
and
ideas for an electronics workbench? Perhaps someone built one that they're
proud of. Thanks in advance.

west

Not sure where you are located, but I always go the local electronics
surplus place first. They almost always have very high quality benches
from company shutdowns that are designed for the job, and well made.

With the economy taking a dump now, the supply is great, and the
prices are excellent. I see benches for between $50 and $100, cash and
carry...

That is exactly how I got mine in 1982 from a former employer! $20 for
6 foot long workbench with steel frame, 2.5 inch thick hardwood work
surface,
drawers and a riser.

What a steal!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Lord Garth" wrote in message
et...

"PeterD" wrote in message
[...]

I am not sure about the situation in the US, but here in Scandinavia,
universities and research labs refit every couple of years. I furnished
a complete hobby workshop and test area with ex-lab benches, stools
and chairs all of which had very little use. The lab were so pleased not
to have to pay to have them taken away, that they delivered everything
and included two PCs with monitors, plus a useful 10KVA isolation
transformer which was surplus to their requirements, free of charge.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/iain.churches...orkshop02.html

For electronics, good benches have steel frames, block-board
tops of 50mm or so, with formica surfaces. Plenty of drawer
space is also a bonus. I like to lay out all my side cutters and
wiring tools neatly in the drawer.

Was the OP just talking about the physical benches themselves
or how they should be equipped for electronics?

There seems to be a huge amount of surplus electronic test
gear at very low prices available in the US at the moment.

Iain

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
qrk qrk is offline

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 09:00:39 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

[...]

Metcal makes some affordable soldering irons. PS-800 goes for under
$200. Sure wish I had the Mantis scope!

---
Mark

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"qrk" wrote in message
Metcal makes some affordable soldering irons. PS-800 goes for under
$200.

Even the upper end Metcals are pretty inexpensive on eBay, and at computer/ham
fests you can often find used (but not very much) tips for, e.g., $1/ea!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 09:14:33 -0800, "BobW"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What happens if you remove that C clamp?

Bob

That's a movable cable retainer.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"West" wrote in message
I'm not sure if this post is OK for this NG but are there any good plans
and
ideas for an electronics workbench? Perhaps someone built one that they're
proud of. Thanks in advance.

west

I put together some modular shelving from Ikea for my workbench and computer
desks.

Bob

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 04:56:54 GMT, "West" wrote:

I'm not sure if this post is OK for this NG but are there any good plans and
ideas for an electronics workbench? Perhaps someone built one that they're
proud of. Thanks in advance.

west

I don't have a picture for you, but I recently swapped my lab with my wifes sewing room.
My old bench was 40" front to rear and the bench I use now is 30". It doesn't sound like
much, but that made a big difference. With test equipment lined up along the back on shelves
there's little room left to work now, so keep that in mind as you design your layout. However
many outlets you think you need, double it and you should be ok. Be sure to put some outlets
along the front of the bench also. I have an outlet strip mounted on the front that is almost
square and has two places for wall warts, a circuit breaker, and an on/off switch. That has
been really handy. I also have a master shutoff switch that powers off the entire bench.

Mike

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I,
with my limited human mind, am able to recognize,
there are yet people who say there is no God.
But what really makes me angry is that they quote
me for the support of such views."
Albert Einstein (theoretical Physicist)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

used interior doors have served me for years, lightweight, movable,
coverable, and CHEAP too.

you want commercial grade?, then go pay for it!.

if you want tool/parts storage, find anyone of those hundreds of 'mall strip
stores' that go bust every month and scarf up their interior display/storage
stuff for FREE.

America, get a life. you DONT deserve premium every thing every time!

start making some real effort to be carbon smart and accountable to life in
general, not just to some shill credit company!

sign me as 'one who used to believe in the amer dream'

"PeterD" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 04:56:54 GMT, "West" wrote:

I'm not sure if this post is OK for this NG but are there any good plans

and
ideas for an electronics workbench? Perhaps someone built one that

they're
proud of. Thanks in advance.

west

Not sure where you are located, but I always go the local electronics
surplus place first. They almost always have very high quality benches
from company shutdowns that are designed for the job, and well made.

With the economy taking a dump now, the supply is great, and the
prices are excellent. I see benches for between $50 and $100, cash and
carry...

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 12:33:34 GMT, "HapticZ"
wrote:

used interior doors have served me for years, lightweight, movable,
coverable, and CHEAP too.

you want commercial grade?, then go pay for it!.

if you want tool/parts storage, find anyone of those hundreds of 'mall strip
stores' that go bust every month and scarf up their interior display/storage
stuff for FREE.

America, get a life. you DONT deserve premium every thing every time!

start making some real effort to be carbon smart and accountable to life in
general, not just to some shill credit company!

sign me as 'one who used to believe in the amer dream'

[snip]

So trot off to Russia or China and see if you can dream there. Just
don't come back.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Larkin wrote:
[...]

Nice and clean workspace! I noted the wondeful lighted magnifier. The
miniaturazation of traditional components has to be the most stark
difference when comes to realing a circuit or system. Glad we dont need
HV for electrons generation in tubes, but now simple resistors have
become sub mm nightmares and semiconductors and ever tightening lead
pitches. .

Marc