Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Iain Churches Iain Churches is offline

Default Lab Workbench Ideas

"Lord Garth" wrote in message
et...

"PeterD" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 04:56:54 GMT, "West" wrote:

I'm not sure if this post is OK for this NG but are there any good plans
and
ideas for an electronics workbench? Perhaps someone built one that
they're
proud of. Thanks in advance.

west

Not sure where you are located, but I always go the local electronics
surplus place first. They almost always have very high quality benches
from company shutdowns that are designed for the job, and well made.

With the economy taking a dump now, the supply is great, and the
prices are excellent. I see benches for between $50 and $100, cash and
carry...

That is exactly how I got mine in 1982 from a former employer! $20 for
6 foot long workbench with steel frame, 2.5 inch thick hardwood work
surface,
drawers and a riser.

I am not sure about the situation in the US, but here in Scandinavia,
universities and research labs refit every couple of years. I furnished
a complete hobby workshop and test area with ex-lab benches, stools
and chairs all of which had very little use. The lab were so pleased not
to have to pay to have them taken away, that they delivered everything
and included two PCs with monitors, plus a useful 10KVA isolation
transformer which was surplus to their requirements, free of charge.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/iain.churches...orkshop02.html

For electronics, good benches have steel frames, block-board
tops of 50mm or so, with formica surfaces. Plenty of drawer
space is also a bonus. I like to lay out all my side cutters and
wiring tools neatly in the drawer.

Was the OP just talking about the physical benches themselves
or how they should be equipped for electronics?

There seems to be a huge amount of surplus electronic test
gear at very low prices available in the US at the moment.

Iain