Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Krohn-Hite UHR-220 need help ???

Hi
This Krohn-Hite UHR-220 power supply has melted a resistor and I need
to figure out its size and what may have shorted to cause it to melt.
Not able to find anything googling and a schematic would be nice.
tnx
Hank WD5JFR

Attached Thumbnails
Krohn-Hite UHR-220  need help ???-khps-jpg  Krohn-Hite UHR-220  need help ???-khpsres-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
Hi
This Krohn-Hite UHR-220 power supply has melted a resistor and I need
to figure out its size and what may have shorted to cause it to melt.
Not able to find anything googling and a schematic would be nice.
tnx
Hank WD5JFR

Wish i could be of help there.
But i would also replace those three capacitors shown.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

Hi
This Krohn-Hite UHR-220 power supply has melted a resistor and I need
to figure out its size and what may have shorted to cause it to melt.
Not able to find anything googling and a schematic would be nice.
tnx
Hank WD5JFR

Those 'Black beauty' capacitors need replaced. They have an almost
100% failure rate. They didn't age very well.

http://www.big-list.com/usedmanu.html for a list of manual dealers.
IOf you are in the US, you might find something on the logsa military
site.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

I'm well aware of the black beauties lack of longevity..
Been there many times..
What I really need is a value on the melted resistor (Ididn't know those
blue would melt, they always looked like ceramic to me but I learn
something every day.) The circuits are a pain to trace as the wires are
bundle into woven tubing.
Thanks

--

73
Hank WD5JFR
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Henry Kolesnik wrote:

Hi
This Krohn-Hite UHR-220 power supply has melted a resistor and I
need
to figure out its size and what may have shorted to cause it to melt.
Not able to find anything googling and a schematic would be nice.
tnx
Hank WD5JFR

Those 'Black beauty' capacitors need replaced. They have an almost
100% failure rate. They didn't age very well.

http://www.big-list.com/usedmanu.html for a list of manual dealers.
IOf you are in the US, you might find something on the logsa military
site.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

I'm well aware of the black beauties lack of longevity..
Been there many times..
What I really need is a value on the melted resistor (Ididn't know those
blue would melt, they always looked like ceramic to me but I learn
something every day.) The circuits are a pain to trace as the wires are
bundle into woven tubing.
Thanks

It is the glass glazing that melted.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

A sharp pocket knife or a triangle file doesn't mark it...
Whatever it is, it's quite hard...
The melted blue resistor which I assume is what it is looks like it was
replace in the past..
The circuit board is toasted all the way thru and backside is nearly
black.
I've never seen a glass, ceramic or whatever melt like that, has anyone
else?

--

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

I'm well aware of the black beauties lack of longevity..
Been there many times..
What I really need is a value on the melted resistor (Ididn't know
those
blue would melt, they always looked like ceramic to me but I learn
something every day.) The circuits are a pain to trace as the wires
are
bundle into woven tubing.
Thanks

It is the glass glazing that melted.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

Hi
This Krohn-Hite UHR-220 power supply has melted a resistor and I need
to figure out its size and what may have shorted to cause it to melt.
Not able to find anything googling and a schematic would be nice.
tnx
Hank WD5JFR

Those 'Black beauty' capacitors need replaced. They have an almost
100% failure rate. They didn't age very well.

http://www.big-list.com/usedmanu.html for a list of manual dealers.
IOf you are in the US, you might find something on the logsa military
site.

Not only that, but they were not paper trained...leaked like hell.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

I'm well aware of the black beauties lack of longevity..
Been there many times..
What I really need is a value on the melted resistor (Ididn't know those
blue would melt, they always looked like ceramic to me but I learn
something every day.) The circuits are a pain to trace as the wires are
bundle into woven tubing.
Thanks

But they *are* ceramic - which means a glass...
...which means they weer red hot for a while; good thing a fire did not
start...
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

A sharp pocket knife or a triangle file doesn't mark it...
Whatever it is, it's quite hard...
The melted blue resistor which I assume is what it is looks like it was
replace in the past..
The circuit board is toasted all the way thru and backside is nearly black.
I've never seen a glass, ceramic or whatever melt like that, has anyone
else?

Oh yes!
Melted the glazing on a 2KW wirewound resistor (nice glowing RED).
Value changed slightly.
In this case, if the wires did not shift to make for one-turn short,
that WW resistor should measure at lest in the ballpark of what its
value originally was.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
et...
Hi
This Krohn-Hite UHR-220 power supply has melted a resistor and I need
to figure out its size and what may have shorted to cause it to melt.
Not able to find anything googling and a schematic would be nice.
tnx
Hank WD5JFR

looks nice, they dont make them like they used to.
maybe just as well ? does it have some historic significance ?

id prob try a 850r like the one next to it and see what happens.

it often annoyes me these days they make everything with round/curved edges,
I was trying to make a meter measurement in an awlward spot
and needed both hands to hold the test probes on,
there was a little ledge I tried to balance my meter on vertically,
but due to the curved edge of the bottom it wouldnt stay.

Colin =^.^=

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

I found one at Ridge Eqpt, it's on its way....
"Punjab The Sailor Man" wrote in message
Henry Kolesnik wrote:
Hi
This Krohn-Hite UHR-220 power supply has melted a resistor and I
need
to figure out its size and what may have shorted to cause it to melt.
Not able to find anything googling and a schematic would be nice.
tnx
Hank WD5JFR

You could try Krohn-Hite Corporation, 15 Jonathan Drive, Unit 4,
Brocton, MA 02301-5566

Phone 508-583-1660 email

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Speaking of caps Michael, Have you any 470uF 16v 105 C radial caps that are
8mm
in diameter or less? I need 4 to fix a router!

Perhaps you know the minimum order from Jameco, they have a suitable cap but
the total order is a little over a dollar.

Thanks

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Lord Garth wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Speaking of caps Michael, Have you any 470uF 16v 105 C radial caps that are
8mm
in diameter or less? I need 4 to fix a router!

Perhaps you know the minimum order from Jameco, they have a suitable cap but
the total order is a little over a dollar.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't. In fact I am out of all the 105° C electrolytics
right now. Computers that need 105° C electrolytics replaced are piling
up, till I can afford to order more parts.

Did you check Mouser? No minimum order.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Lord Garth wrote:
Speaking of caps Michael, Have you any 470uF 16v 105 C radial caps that are
8mm
in diameter or less? I need 4 to fix a router!

Since Michael is out... I can send you 4 470uF 25V 105C radial caps if you'd
like. They're Panasonic FC series -- good stuff. Overall size is 8mm x 20mm.
Send you address to j k o l s t a d 7 1 @ y a hoo , and I'll drop'em in the
mail to you.

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Lord Garth wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Speaking of caps Michael, Have you any 470uF 16v 105 C radial caps that

are
8mm
in diameter or less? I need 4 to fix a router!

Perhaps you know the minimum order from Jameco, they have a suitable cap

but
the total order is a little over a dollar.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't. In fact I am out of all the 105° C electrolytics
right now. Computers that need 105° C electrolytics replaced are piling
up, till I can afford to order more parts.

Did you check Mouser? No minimum order.

Thanks, I will do that soon....