Replacement plastic drawer slides needed

Old July 15th 04, 04:46 AM
Timothy Lee

Default Replacement plastic drawer slides needed

I have a secondhand, 2-drawer, faux-wood/particleboard filing cabinet,
for which I need 2 replacement, plastic drawer slides for the upper
drawer. I've tried Googling using the words "plastic drawer slide"
and "drawer slide", but the results are not what I need. I need
replacement plastic strips, approx. 12-16" long, 3/8" thick, and 5-8"
wide, which can be screwed into the interior walls, on which ride the
drawer that has a matching mortise (not sure if I'm using the right
term -- it is a matching, female groove which fits the plastic piece).

The results I get from Google are either replacement roller
assemblies, which I don't want, or plastic corner pieces -- small
brackets that look like shelf supports. I don't want a roller
assembly, because it might bend and warp, and because most of them
don't seem to allow a drawer to fully open. I only want a couple of
replacement, plastic strips, but can't find them on Google because I
don't seem to be using the right search terms.

What kind of search terms or words should I use to find a seller of
these kinds of pieces? Or could someone make a recommendation?
Thanks.
Old July 15th 04, 05:11 AM
Rich

Can you make them yourself out of wood? or maybe cut up an old plastic
cutting board?

Full extension drawer glides probably wont warp and should open up the
drawer completely. I get them for 9 bucks a pair at the local cabinet supply
house.

Rich

om...

Old July 15th 04, 05:32 AM
Richard Cline

In article ,
(Timothy Lee) wrote:

It may seem like a simple need but it is just a cheap item that may
never have been on the open market. It is likely that you will break
the drawer slikes for the lower drawer also. Do yourself a favor and
look at a better quality piece of furniture. Filing cabinets are very
cheap.

Dick

Old July 15th 04, 02:24 PM
J. Clarke

Timothy Lee wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you need sheet plastic that you can cut to size. Look in the
Yellow Pages under "Plastics" and you should find a jobber in your area
that will have the necessary sheet. As a guess I'd try "UHMW
Polyethylene", usually sold as just "UHMW".

If there's a Woodcraft in your area they'll probably have some in stock as
well.

If there's a half inch clearance between the bottom of the cutout and the
side of the cabinet then put in some full-suspension slides and you'll be a
lot happier in the long run.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old July 15th 04, 05:21 PM
patrick conroy

"Timothy Lee" wrote in message
om...

I have a secondhand, 2-drawer, faux-wood/particleboard filing cabinet,
for which I need 2 replacement, plastic drawer slides for the upper
drawer. I've tried Googling using the words "plastic drawer slide"

I know 'xactalackly what your talking about. I have (from
new-college-grad-gets-first-furniture-days) a Scandaniavan Design's (teak
over particleboard) dresser with those slides.

They're plastic, with a rounded front end that fits into a groove on the
drawer sides.
A couple of mine have broken too.

This is guest room furniture for me now, so my motivation is low, but I
poked around the usual chain stores for something and couldn't find a
replacement. My plan is to make a simple replacement slide out of wood.

If you have rudimentary 'dorkin tools and skills - I think this is currently
the best (cheapest, fastest) option..

Shop made full extension wooden drawer slides tillius Woodworking 7 May 9th 04 03:10 AM
Replacement DC plug for laptop needed Tim Downie UK diy 9 March 5th 04 04:17 PM
Drawer Slides bole2cant Woodworking 11 February 28th 04 08:01 PM
Help Speaker replacement advice needed ayosha UK diy 5 November 1st 03 06:20 PM